Brake light and hand brake

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Brake light and hand brake

Postby liquineer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:04 am

Quick question,

Should the rear brake light come on when only the hand brake is applied on a 1988 GL1500?
I ask because I assumed it did and I mainly brake using the handbrake just for slowing down- would stamp on the foot brake in an emergency as well- but when testing the lights on my trailer yesterday (old trailer, new hitch plug) the brake light only came on with the foot brake operated on both trailer and trike. If the handbrake does not operate the light then I need to change my mode of braking, otherwise motorists may miss the fact that I am braking (other than the fact i will slow down in front of them) and I would hate someone to run in to me because of that.

Martin

Are we having fun yet?

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: Brake light and hand brake

Postby wingpilot08 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:51 am

Brake lights should come on when either hand or foot brake is applied! Remember most of the braking power comes from the FRONT brakes. Also, the wing has linked braking...foot brake applies the rear wheel and front left brakes.....Hand brake applies ONLY the front right brake!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:19 am

Thanks
Thats what I thought.
The recent triking may have seperated the front brake lever connection from the brake light - and I agree, I ought to be using both hand and foot brakes anyway as a normal practice, but just for slowing down to junctions etc. with plenty of time to stop, I have found the front brake is enough currently.
I am relearning to ride the bike now that I have three wheels instead of two, and the rear brakes are not the original ones now, although still cross linked as before- it will come though with time.
Are we having fun yet?

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 am

Your brake light switch on the handlebar is sticking. This issue has been addressed many times in this forum. You can try spraying it to free it up.
Search for this subject for more info.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks for info on the brake light switch and it's problems for other individuals- until a short while ago I was not sure there was a switch, so now I know there should be illumination when used, I will investigate further.
Are we having fun yet?

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:35 pm

The switch is on the handlebars and unless it is defective or unplugged, there is no way to seperate it from the circuit.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:21 pm

From reading the other posts in the past I expect it is also contributing to the non setting of the cruise control as well- I had thought it was stuck switches- I did clean them last year with spray, but I could not get a set to take place recently, so two problems in probably one solution. I will check for sticking brake switch and also see if that lets the cruise control function also. I have a whole host of little jobs to do now, I put them off until the bike was triked, and now I have had a few ride outs and attended display events with the other local Goldwingers, I will set to and finish them.
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:25 am

Just a quick update- Its a rainy day here, so I'm investigating the hand brake light issue, and one of the wires to the switch on the handlebar was not making a good contact- wiggling it allowed the switch to operate, sprayed it with contact cleaner and also squeezed the terminal fiting to get a tighter fit. Now the hand brake operates the relay and the brake light comes on as it should. Moving on to cruise control fitting now and will research the "how to's" and see if I can get it to set properly. Then I will move on to fitting stuff under the seat- comms, MP3 player possibly HD radio etc, and also install the helmet mike and speakers, then on to chrome bits and bobs such as new rotor covers, CB switch cover, radio cover, front indicators and side repeaters etc. Then I will consider adding some nice LED's so I can join in the light shows- the previous owner(s) had removed stuff from the bike before I bought it, (lots of badly connected then terminated wires in odd places) so there is a three swith accessory mounted on the brake reservoir, and also a triple "cigarette lighter" style of sockets wired in to power on a trailing lead, but nothing was left on/in the bike.
Are we having fun yet?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:35 am

From memory, the fuse that is used for the cigar lighter is only 5 amp, and only has appropriate wiring for 5amps. If you have a triple plugged up, be careful of the loading that you are using. You may have to run a separate wire of suitable gauge to handle the extra current that you will be drawing, and have an appropriate fuse in line.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for that infor re cigarette lighter triple- I did not wire it up, so will need to look and see what it is connected to and in light of what you have put, maybe change the cable and also put in a fuse if there is not one (which I suspect is the case).

Are we having fun yet?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”