HELP with the noise....

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rlsapp
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing Aspencade

HELP with the noise....

Postby rlsapp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 pm

i have posted a topic about noise in the rear hub, and thanks for all the replys, but it still exist, even after bring it to a Honda dealer. The Honda shop says they replace a few parts, (a boot, some small pin, and something else), and I still hear the noise... Please help with this issue... Does anyone hear this noise in their bike.... it sounds like a tumbling noise in the hub in low gear 1,2, or third, only at idle, don't give it any throttle. I know there would be a little backlash with the drive but this noise doesn't sound right. Could this be something else, maybe a bad shock?????? HELP HELP HELP... The bike has never made this noise... The Honda shop may be getting to rich from me...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: HELP with the noise....

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:58 am

If you put the bike up on the center stand, start it up, put it in first gear, and let the clutch out, so that the rear wheel is rotating in the air, does it still make the noise? If it does, then you can rule out shocks or suspension.

rlsapp

Postby rlsapp » Sun May 09, 2010 2:01 pm

sorry for the long time with the reply, had a pin stroke, but getting better now...I have done that and no noise heard, it seems the noise is more noticeable when the bike is riden about 10 mls. Could this be a gear fluid issue, thinking of changing the fluid with something thicker... I did replace the fluid, but I did put the Honda recommendation back into the drive...Your thoughts????

Lebouc
Motorcycle: GL1500SE 2000

Postby Lebouc » Tue May 18, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm not sure i understand corectly cuz my english is not all the good , but if its a noise in the back wheel at very low speed like 5 to 15 miles an hour , kind of like a clicking noise that goes faster as you give it a little throttle ???
I got that on my GL1500 '88 and it was the differentiel bearing , and the more weight i had like with a passenger , the better i could hear it .
P.S : Of the two rear differentiel bearing , one is not changeable , so you have to change the whole thing .
Hope this helped !!!

rlsapp

Postby rlsapp » Tue May 18, 2010 11:06 pm

the noise is being heard after it has been riden a few miles down the road...come to a stop, then run the bike at idle speed in 1,2, or 3rd gear...I hear a loud tumble noise...I do know it should have a little backlash in the drive, but this is to loud of a tumble...help me I'm giving-up

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby raycw » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Is there any chance someone has removed the rear wheel recently? Also, check your rear axle nut to verify that it's torqued properly. It sort of sounds like the spacer that goes inside your final drive might be missing.

The other option would be to score a 'trike take-off' final drive and just swap it out.

rlsapp

Postby rlsapp » Thu May 20, 2010 12:50 am

good thought on the spacer, but I had the Honda And Kawasawki shop both look into this..They can't find anything inside, i also was thinking about the spacer or wheel bearing both are ok, (HUH). If I put the bike on the center stand, should there be any movement with the shock, maybe changing the drive fluid to be thicker, I'm lossing ground to find the problem.

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby raycw » Mon May 24, 2010 1:11 pm

I'm wondering if it could be the drive shaft splines? When they start to wear but haven't worn out completely they could cause a noise like this.
I'm very surprised that the Honda shop didn't dig any deeper into this if it's so pronounced as you describe. Were they able to hear the noise you're describing??

rlsapp

Postby rlsapp » Mon May 24, 2010 1:22 pm

yes even the shop mech. heard the noise...he did or said he looked into the drive but didn't find anything, so.....huh....the only other thing I can thinf of is the shock mount maybe...share with your thoughts...

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”