1 exhaust alot hotter than the other

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
lepchaun
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

1 exhaust alot hotter than the other

Postby lepchaun » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:57 am

hi my left exhaust gets a lot hotter than the right 1 from the day i first rode it im not very up on engines it was loosing power on the right bank i could take plug leeds off any of the 3 on the right side and no change to engine i took coils out and contacts in coil side looked white ish i paired a little of the rubber away to show a bit more wire as contacts not looked very good then put them all back as it should b now if i remove 1 plug leed at a time u can here the engine loose power now looking at the revs it loses about 100revs i put a plug light tester in each of the six and a very good light is showing but when im riding it if i excelarate steady its ok till i reach 65/70mph try to go any faster it backfires like mad then picks up speed slowly it feels like when engine catches up to excelarator it runs ok again if i excelarate fast once the rev counter touches 2k revs it backfires like mad till speed catches up on tick over it sounds ok if i take it up to 2k revs without putting it into gear its ok but left exhaust is always away hotter than the right one about 3 times hotter iv also put some seafome in fuel tank as it was stood for a couple of years checked in carbs to c if fuel is getting in ok and i can c it going in when i excelarate sliders seem to move ok put all new filters in air/sub/cruise/oil new plugs new oil any help or advice welcome
THANKS IN ADVANCE JOHN

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Re: 1 exhaust alot hotter than the other

Postby bstig60 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:22 am

Have you synced the carbs?
Bill

lepchaun

Postby lepchaun » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 am

no not yet hopefully this week il get it sync

thanks john

lepchaun

Postby lepchaun » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 am

had carbs synced this week but no change mecanic is wondering if there is a difference between uk jets and california jets as bike was imported into uk in 2009 from california i bought it in june 2012 then registered it in uk then triked it and registered as trike in april 2013 so it was stood for at least 4years had to get rid of collector box to make room for new swingarm and change where exhaust come out of downpipes the pictures show how i did it also wondering if it could cause this problem as exhaust now comes out of the side of downpipes about 3inch back from the end of downpipes it was never rode as a bike in uk

thanks in advance john
Attachments

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:09 am

It sounds like the hot side is running lean...
Ignition is paired left to right on each coil pack..not a problem there.
ignition timing is across the board and fixed by the computer...any problem there would affect the whole engine....
Exhaust system has been modified...left and right.....if the hot side does not have the exact same setup/flow as the cooler side...it will affect how that side asperates/breathes...
The hot side is also fed from just one of the carbs...they do not mix left and right sides...

From all this...poor running,much hotter on one side,I could point to only 2 possibilities...
Fuel restriction in that carb or a leaking vacuum line at the manifold ..Or a inbalance in the exhaust...The hot side passes more through it than the other....

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby raycw » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:52 am

virgilmobile wrote:
From all this...poor running,much hotter on one side,I could point to only 2 possibilities...
Fuel restriction in that carb or a leaking vacuum line at the manifold ..Or a inbalance in the exhaust...The hot side passes more through it than the other....

That's the first thing I thought of…. fuel restriction since the left side bank of cylinders are fed by the left carb and the right side bank are fed by the right carb. I'd look for a stuck float valve.

Older 1500's are known for vacuum leaks. A common one is at the left or right intake manifold… right where the manifold mates to the cylinder head. Another common place is UNDER the carb assembly and below the rubber protection cover. There's a hose that has a 90 degree bend and runs from the left manifold to the right manifold. But if that one breaks the bike usually will run worse than you are discribing.

lepchaun

Postby lepchaun » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:04 am

thanks for the advice guys
going to take the carbs off on monday or tuesday then strip them down i will get new vacume piping and fit it while im in there if im understanding u right virgil if i put my hand up against the back of the hot exhaust the presure blowing out is a lot stronger than the cooler exhaust

thanks yet again john

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:19 am

Before you rip the carbs out.Check one thing...cam belt timing.
It may be off just one tooth.Perhaps on the cold side.
It's at least a easy look see.
Because I can't see or touch your bike its hard to tell if the hot side is normal and your problem is on the cooler side ....or the other way around.

yamaha96
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500se aspencade, 1996 1300 yamaha royalstar

Postby yamaha96 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:50 am

I know nothing about your hot exhaust, i notice you have a 1989 with a wheel kit, i also have a 1989, thinking of a kit , just wondered what kind of kit, and do you like it , and any pluses or minuses you can tell me about the kit, i have been thinking about a Voyager conversion, thanks, Mike,from Va.

lepchaun

Postby lepchaun » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:20 pm

hi yamaha96 its not a bought kit its a home build its fitted with a reliant B axel as bike ratio and axel ratio are very near the same if u goole reliant cars u will get a lot more info than i can give u old swingarm cut up and converted then bolted to axel handles great just got to b careful on bends and not try to take them to fast all pluses and no negatives at 70 mph im doing 3400revs witch is pretty close to original the good thing about a home build is ur allways adding or changing things so its allways a project to play with i will c if i can send u some photoes of how the swingarm and axel is put together when i strip it down in the winter for repainting and fitting new swingarm bearings
THANKS JOHN

lepchaun

Postby lepchaun » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:01 am

hi all i taught id let u all know problem sorted 2 of the coil leads were on the wrong way round thats the way i got it so i assumed there were the right way ruond looks like previous owner had same problem so i got it cheap running like a dream now i cant believe the power next job is to change the exhausts if u look at the way there comeing out the side of the downpipes we think its causing back presure thanks for all ur help

THE LEP

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”