1995 GL1500 Troubleshooting non-working Stereo/CB/LCD Gauge

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
JoePagz
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

1995 GL1500 Troubleshooting non-working Stereo/CB/LCD Gauge

Postby JoePagz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Hello. I own a 1995 GL1500 SE that I recently received. It was sitting in the salty California coast air for more than 6 years and has a significant amount of chrome corrosion. It's been at the mechanic's since late May and he got it running. It's now home with me.

In testing the bike, I have no display on the center LCD display (Liquid Crystal Display, ummmm.... display?!?! LOL) and, although the console will load and unload a cassette I can't get any response when I push any of the buttons. There is also no display on the CB LCD. Am I missing a secret switch somewhere? Is there a connection that the mechanic (he worked on the battery compartment and replaced a battery) may have missed. Because the tape deck will accept and eject cassettes I am led to believe that it's got proper power.

I am quite technical but I'm hoping to find some clues from forum members on best places and methods to troubleshoot this problem. I have a parts manual and a copy of a service manual for the bike so, if you know what I should look for you could just recommend what to test first and I'll research how to access it in the manuals.

Glad to be aboard!

Thanks.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Re: 1995 GL1500 Troubleshooting non-working Stereo/CB/LCD Ga

Postby bstig60 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:35 pm

I would start by pulling the stereo out and cleaning all the wiring connector on both the stereo and the CB. Also the tuning switches on the left handlebar can get corroded. Let us know what you find and we can take it from there.
Bill

JoePagz
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby JoePagz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:44 pm

bstig60 wrote:I would start by pulling the stereo out and cleaning all the wiring connector on both the stereo and the CB. Also the tuning switches on the left handlebar can get corroded. Let us know what you find and we can take it from there.

Thanks for the info. I had some recommendations from other Goldwing owners who suggested checking the fuse and, sure enough, it was blown. Replacing the fuse fixed the problem.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:59 pm

This may or may not help you, but it might be a good idea to RECHECK your fuses:

I recently found two issues with my stereo, one a while back, the second, just a few weeks ago.
One problem was with the wiring harness connector(s) at the back of the radio itself. The problem I had here was the main power terminal was loose, I simply tightened the female terminals by bending them with a jeweler's screwdriver, I did ALL of the female terminals and the radio came on louder than it had ever been since I owned it.
After some time, I next had a problem with the display failing to come on, with this problem the stereo, cruise control, and on-board air pump all failed to work. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that it was a FUSE problem....lol...NOT that the fuse was bad, that was the very first thing I checked! What I'd discovered was that the female terminals into which this particular fuse plugged in...where loose. On occasion, there was enough contact to make it all work, but hit a slight bump in the road and it would fail. Again, minor tweaking with a jeweler's screwdriver and it all works just fine to this day.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17797#ixzz2eKE0XhZZ

Keep the rubber side down.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”