Progressive Springs?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Jmill2013
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Progressive Springs?

Postby Jmill2013 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:40 pm

1989 Wing with 70K on it..... This thing runs like a top but the front end scares the living S&%T out of me. I put a fork brace on hoping that would help out but even though I hoped I would feel a difference I just don't. I talked to a cycle mechanic and he said that these bikes had some sort of anti-dive feature on the front end. I think my front shock is shot. I notice after a hard stop that the fork will be stuck down an inch or two until I take off again and it lurches up.[/b] It seems to me that this is causing the crazy wobble I encounter almost every ride. I am thinking of getting and and rebuilding the front fork with progressive springs (I believe this is what many of you have talked about). While there a new front tire just to make sure. New bearings maybe. I just want to feel safe and right now I don't. Any suggestions / thought??

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Progressive Springs?

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Jmill2013 wrote:1989 Wing with 70K on it..... This thing runs like a top but the front end scares the living S&%T out of me. I put a fork brace on hoping that would help out but even though I hoped I would feel a difference I just don't. I talked to a cycle mechanic and he said that these bikes had some sort of anti-dive feature on the front end. I think my front shock is shot. I notice after a hard stop that the fork will be stuck down an inch or two until I take off again and it lurches up.[/b] It seems to me that this is causing the crazy wobble I encounter almost every ride. I am thinking of getting and and rebuilding the front fork with progressive springs (I believe this is what many of you have talked about). While there a new front tire just to make sure. New bearings maybe. I just want to feel safe and right now I don't. Any suggestions / thought??

You've got stiction, which could indicate worn bushings inside. I'd say go with the Progressive springs - they're really fairly inexpensive, and replace all the bushings, sliders and seals while you're at it. I show exactly this procedure here: How to rebuild your front forks

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Front of my 89 is mushy and took a few miles to get used to. Only 74k, but never a sticking point. It will rise under hard throttle and dive under hard braking, but no more than I think is reasonable. Rode a friends bike with progressive front springs, very little movement. We both agreed that mine rode better so it was left alone.

Jmill2013
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Postby Jmill2013 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Clearly it's possible if not likely that my front shock just needs to be rebuilt. While I'm in there I may as well try these progressive springs that so many seem to like. I feel like once apart I may as well replace the bearings also. What do you think? I'm simply tired of worrying about it and wth a trip coming up in September something has to be done. It just not safe.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:35 pm

I have the fork sticking problem with my bike as well and it just turned over 60K. I also get a loud 'thump' when I hit a hard bump. I suspect the fork springs are weak and that could be contributing to the sticking problem as well. I don't have the wobble however. I plan on rebuilding my forks this winter, but I am up in the air about adding the progressive springs. I have been told by some who added them that they couldn't tell any difference. I did add them to my cruiser when I rebuilt the forks on it last spring and there is a MASSIVE difference in handling and there is a much stiffer ride. On my GW, I am not sure I want a firmer ride. I haven't experienced any instability other than the silly dance the front end does when you get behind a truck or in a headwind at speed. I have learned to tolerate that.
Bill

Richman2000
Motorcycle: 94 GL1500SE

Postby Richman2000 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:40 am

Check your steering head berings while your at it. While everthing is apart, it's a good chance to repack them before you have to replace them.

Ride Safe,
Rich

CSlate03
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 SE, 2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Postby CSlate03 » Sun May 01, 2016 11:37 am

Just pulled my fork tube apart to rebuild and install the progressive springs I bought. The springs I pulled out are progressive (coils get tighter toward the bottom). And the main spring has a smaller spring inside it. I am assuming the previous owner upgraded and this is not stock. Can anyone help me figure out what I have and if I should just keep these and return the new springs? I will post pictures in a few hours. Thanks!

CSlate03
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 SE, 2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Postby CSlate03 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Here are the pictures.
Attachments

happytrailsinc
Motorcycle: 89 gl1500

Postby happytrailsinc » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:03 pm

I just got us a 89 wing with 89k. Forks were worn out, they would sag just by taking off side stand, top out when backing down driveway and cause the bike to be very unstable
So I purchased me some progressive spring. Completely rebuilt with seals and bushings, and set oil height to 170 with 15w oil ( Honda calls for 194mm /10w? )
coming from a mechanic I've never seen such a low oil level, this is part of the problem as the level helps with the bottoming not to mention the weak springs
Once back on, I only get a slight drop and boy what a difference, now I'm not afraid of the bike, no more topping out either
Oh yea, also put on a superbrace while I was at it

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”