How to remove GL1500 rear wheel bearing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

How to remove GL1500 rear wheel bearing

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:38 am

I could not take photos while doing the job with grubby hands as my camera is too expensive, so a few after shots.
Obtain a bolt with a head that will just pass through the bearing

Slide it through the wheel until the head is level with outside of the bearing. I welded the bolt to the thin bearing behind the dust seal.

Weld or tag the nut to the inner race collar, a few taps with a hammer and out it pops. just so easy. No whacking with a lump hammer, I used a standard claw hammer, 4 hits and it was out.

With the wheel out it took me less than 10 minutes to remove the bearings including tagging the bolt to the bearing. I had the wheel standing up resting against my legs to hammer the first bearing out by hitting the end of the bolt. Hammered out the opposite bearing, hammered new bearings in, all without even having to lie the wheel down on battens or lift the wheel off the ground.
If you do not have a arc welder, it is easy to find someone who can weld.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Re: How to remove GL1500 rear wheel bearing

Postby Sempai » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:56 am

This bearing puller from Harbor Freight works well for those of us that may need to reuse a bearing. It sells for $70, perhaps not something for those who are just looking to replace the bearings, in my line of work, I'm often asked to remove bearings so the client can have his/her wheels painted, chromed, powder coated, or whatever

I find this $30 bearing driver set comes in very handy, too..
Keep the rubber side down.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”