Won't Fire

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
T=Trouble
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade 1500

Won't Fire

Postby T=Trouble » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:39 am

I have only had my 1993 Goldwing Aspencade 1500 for a few weeks. It has been running great. This morning I went out to start it and she fired right up. A little bit into letting it just idle, she died. From that point on she would crank but no attempt at firing. I really don't know how to work on bikes and without being able to start her to take her to the shop, I am at a lost. Any pointers at what to try would be greatly appreciated.

Trouble

When God made the first biker he mixed the following ingredients:
Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: Won't Fire

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:17 pm

I think we will need more information about what happened or what it DOES do in order to offer any trouble shooting advice...

Simple things to check...
Fuel ?
Kill Switch on right handlebar?
Fuses ? (under left side panels)
Battery good? Do you have a volt meter (you need 10+ volts to start the bike)

Did it make any noises as it quit?
What is the history of this bike?

Does it crank over quickly or slowly now?

Even a video of the bike cranking with sound may help someone recognize a potential problem...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

T=Trouble

Postby T=Trouble » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Just got home. (Wednesdays are always a later night for me.) Didn't get far with the bike tonight as I wore the battery down enough this morning that I am going to have to hook it up to the battery charger. First I will have to figure out how to get to the battery; so, I brought the owner's manual in with me so I can read up on that aspect. Tomorrow night I will get it hooked up to the charger. So for now, stand by to stand by. After I get the battery charged back up, we will continue on this. I know when I started the bike this morning and then tried re-starting, the charge on the battery gauge was good (same as it has been even). I knew this morning my attempts were wearing down the charge; so, no surprise this evening that the battery charge is too low at this point to start it.
Trouble

Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:12 pm

T, It is inadvisable to leave the battery in a depleted state, if possible. You may not be always in total control of the situation, but normally you should charge the battery slowly so that it maintains its health.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:28 pm

You'll find the battery under the right hand side cover:

Start by pulling the bottom front post free from its grommet. Next pull the bottom rear post free. Pull the bottom slightly toward you - but not too far, or you risk snapping off the remaining post! Pull the cover free from the metal post at the top front, then gently work the top rear post free of its grommet, and pull the side cover away.

T=Trouble

Postby T=Trouble » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks, WingAdmin. I figured out how to get to the battery using the owner's manual, but your details are much better. Unfortunately the terminals for the battery are under the seat. (I expected it to be like my husband's 1983 GL1100 Interstate with the terminals easily accessible once the cover was removed.) Between already having plans for a trip over the holiday weekend and then having to mow last night after work, I have not had a chance to remove the seat and hook up the charger. That is on the agenda for tonight though and with the excellent instructions in the "How-To Articles" for how to remove the seat, I think I will be able to get the battery at least charged back up. Then we can start tackling the real issue - whatever it is.
Trouble

Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

T=Trouble

Postby T=Trouble » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Well, I got the plugs out of the passenger handle bars and found the right size of allen wrench and then hit a big snag. The bolts are tightened down so tight that I cannot break them loose. (Why do men always have to tightened things down so tight???? Jar lids, bolts/screws, etc...) I appreciate everyone's willingness to try to help out, but this baby is just going to have to get trailered to the shop and I will let them deal with getting the battery charged back up and then figuring out why she won't start.
Trouble

Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 am

Bet the dogbone fuse deceided it was time to blow....My .02

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:06 pm

If you have a small piece of pipe, just slip it over the end of the allen wrench to give you a bit of extra torque. Those are meant to be quite tight, as they get used to hump the bike up onto the center stand!

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Tight Enough...?

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Hey...where ja find that picture of me..... :roll: :lol:

T=Trouble

Postby T=Trouble » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:10 pm

Got battery all charged back up and a friend's husband did some troubleshooting. It was vapor-lock. The hose to the gas cap was extra long and had a kink in it. Hose is now trimmed so that it won't kink and bike runs like a gem again.

Thanks again everyone for your help and input.
Trouble

Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 am

T=Trouble wrote:Got battery all charged back up and a friend's husband did some troubleshooting. It was vapor-lock. The hose to the gas cap was extra long and had a kink in it. Hose is now trimmed so that it won't kink and bike runs like a gem again.

Thanks again everyone for your help and input.

I hate to say it, but I have not heard of a GL1500 suffering from vapor lock, ever, and second, even if it was vapor lock, the gas cap hose would have nothing to do with it. There is no way a kink in that hose can cause your bike to die.

That hose allows excess air pressure in the fuel tank to bleed off, from when the bike heats up. On California spec bikes, it goes to an evaporative canister to catch the fumes. On non-California bikes, it goes nowhere, the other end just hangs out the bottom of the bike. If it was blocked or kinked, you'd get a bit of pressure build-up in the tank, but it certainly wouldn't cause it to quit.

The gas cap also has vents in it that allow air to get IN to the tank, to replace fuel that is being removed. Now if THOSE vents get blocked, eventually the vacuum created in the tank will overwhelm the fuel pump, and the bike will quit. You will know if this is the problem, because loosening the gas cap will cause a big WHOOSH, and your problem will be instantly fixed. If your bike is starting to stumble and die, and you loosen the gas cap, causing it to come back to life, then this is your problem.

T=Trouble

Postby T=Trouble » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 am

Yeah, there was a big WHOOSH when the cap was removed. Besides trimming the hose, the cap was cleaned before replacing it. Hopefully the issue is resolved.

Trouble

Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”