GL1500 stock seat mounting bolts problem.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

GL1500 stock seat mounting bolts problem.

Postby liquineer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:36 am

I have a question for opinion, or if you have done this yourself, how did it work, you are a resourceful community of goldwingers so I'm hoping that collectively we can come up with a solution.It is a long explanation so please read on to the question.
My solo has been recently triked, and due to the bodywork shape for the new rear end, it no longer has grab handles and the seat mounting bolts are below the new bodywork, which means either- removing both rear wheels- pain in the backside to do this each time, or lying on the ground and reaching up in to narrow space to get the bolts out. It used to take under 10 minutes to do the job, probably nearer 5. You can see from my avatar photo what the body shape is like. Obviously a design flaw by the triking company, but i have to live with it as I did not notice it would be a problem when I ordered the conversion.
Yesterday I took the wheels off and got the bolts out that way, on coming to refit I decided that I would try the lying on the back route after refitting the wheels. However, I found that the seat would not sit back properly and the mounting holes would not line up with the mounting points- initially I thought this was due to putting a Big Bike parts "through the seat" drivers back rest in, as there is an extra plate undermeath which sits on the frame, but having undone it again and removed the plate it still does not line up properly. I found if I sit on the seat then it seems to press it down to what looks like the correct place judging by the fact that the pad just at the rear of the seat, sits neatly against the top box, as it normally looks. The trouble is, I can't sit on it and also put the bolts in whilst lying on the ground underneath, and cannot always rely on a weighty person sitting on the seat for long enough to get the bolts back.
My question is, does anyone have a suggestion on how to hold the seat down and postion the bolts from underneath at the same time without a helper, OR and this is the one I need some thoughts about - could I do away with the side seat bolts and try and fit some sort of bracket at the rear of the underneath of the seat such that I can the attach, by some bolts, to another bracket mounted on either the top box or at the back of the frame , in such a way that the seat is held safely down, and does not need me getting down and dirty with the underside.
I know this is not the standard sort of help question, but it would save me a lot of aggravation and will return my task of removing the seat to I hope just a quick and easy job if we can find a solution.

Are we having fun yet?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: GL1500 stock seat mounting bolts problem.

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:50 am

Bag or two of cement or sand mix comes to mind first. Cheap and available.

Also drill holes in the plastic big enough to get at the bolts and cap off with plastic plugs available at ACE when not needed.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby raycw » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:35 am

Drilling some access holes is probably the best bet. From the looks of the trike it's a BAD DESIGN! PERIOD

You might help with the bolts if you taper the ends of the threads on a grinding wheel. A dull point works best.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions- I actually like the design, it just has this flaw that was unexpected- I will overcome it, I'm open to solutions - I am especially looking for help on my idea of fitting a bracket at the rear of the seat- in my head I think it is a good idea and will bring the seat removal back to a simple step, I just want to be sure I'm not making the seat unsafe. I am reluctant to cut in to the plastic, as I don't think it would look as neat afterwards - whilst my DIY skills are up to it, my artistic skills may not be. Most people admire the shape as it is slightly unusual, and in fact I was exhibiting with a half dozen other Goldwings recently (1500's and 1800's) and my trike was the favourite bike for people wanting to sit upon it, so it has something pleasing going on for it.
Please keep the suggestions coming and I will let you know what solution I come to once all the data is in. Meanwhile I will weigh the seat down and use the conventional bolts to hold it down until a better system can be found.

Martin
Are we having fun yet?

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Have you contacted whomever triked the bike? This can't be the first time this issue has come up. Maybe they have a solution. Shouldn't take two people or a bag of cement to install a seat.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:42 pm

As it is now a trike, and no longer needs the handles in order to put the bike onto a center stand, I would think brackets permanently mounted to the original mounting holes, with a method of attaching the seat to the brackets from above the tupperware of the trike kit would work just fine. All that the bracket need be strong enough for is two people on the seat. You would also not need any cement bags or heavy people on the bike in order to force the seat to where the mounting holes are. Be aware that the rear of the seat will be above where it was originally, so the entire seat will slope more from back to front than original. The uppermost holes in the bracket would need to be threaded, or have nuts permanently attached.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:33 am

Thanks for that suggestion on the mounting brackets to be above the "tupperware" I think I see what you mean re the height being slightly different after fitting new brackets, I assume you mean the seat would sit on the bolts in the normal mounting point and then take a bracket up above the plastic with a bolt and nut to hold the seat through new holes in the seat?- I had thought of that as a solution as well, but was not sure if it would work, so I'm glad someone else came up with that idea.-
I am sure the seat will sit back again, as it came to me from the trikers, fully held down with the bolts in place in both sides- I was just puzzled initially as to why it would not go back fully- nothing in that area of the bike was altered, and it does not catch on the tupperware, and when a solo of course I could lean on the seat if the bolts were a little out of line..

I will fix it back with the current system by placing weights on it temporarily whilst I work out a permanent bracket system for the future.
I am still interested in any other solutions- If collectively we find an elegant solution, then I can pass that on to other wingers- I know of at least one by name and there are many others who must face the same problem as me, because they convert a lot of Goldwings.

Are we having fun yet?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”