Right corning light has a mind of its own

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingthing88
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Right corning light has a mind of its own

Postby wingthing88 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi. new to this forum and have found it fascinating. Sounds like alot of intelligent motorheads. my kind of people. I'm having an irritating problem with my '88 sometimes when I first turn the key on in the morning the right cornering light is on without turning on the turn signals it use to go out if I turned on the right signal and canceled it manually or let it self cancel. Here lately it has started randomly coming on going down the road. I haven't had time to work on or investigate the problem (I work two jobs and work on other peoples bikes just to make ends meet) and was wondering if anyone else had run across a similar problem and may know a quick fix? I'm guessing a relay but haven't had time to swap left and right to test my theory. Any help would be appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Right corning light has a mind of its own

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 pm

wingthing88 wrote:Hi. new to this forum and have found it fascinating. Sounds like alot of intelligent motorheads. my kind of people. I'm having an irritating problem with my '88 sometimes when I first turn the key on in the morning the right cornering light is on without turning on the turn signals it use to go out if I turned on the right signal and canceled it manually or let it self cancel. Here lately it has started randomly coming on going down the road. I haven't had time to work on or investigate the problem (I work two jobs and work on other peoples bikes just to make ends meet) and was wondering if anyone else had run across a similar problem and may know a quick fix? I'm guessing a relay but haven't had time to swap left and right to test my theory. Any help would be appreciated.

There is a relay mounted to the wiring harness on the frame immediately above each cornering light. When the relay is energized, the cornering light goes OUT. When the relay is de-energized, the cornering light goes on. Sounds like either this relay is going, or the connector it is plugged into is dirty.

wingthing88

Postby wingthing88 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:59 am

Thats what i thought it might be now I just have to find the time. Thanks

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:56 am

I had the same problem with mine.Both relays were bad.There's one on each side..kinda hard to see..and small to boot.
I opted to fit a standard relay and used the third terminal to light up the "park" filament...( a bit of wiring)...
Now with the key on,both lights are on dim and the relay switches them to bright with the turn signal.
The housing won't stand the heat of continuous high brightness lamp.It will melt the plastic..
If you opt to reconfigure for continuous bright lamps...use LED's...

Here's the post from the Admin...all bout it on the later models....viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9444

***NOTE***The lens on the 88 is not intended for a driving light,just a cornering light.

wingthing88

Postby wingthing88 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:01 am

Thanks guys I finaly found the time. It was the relay. I just took a standard bosch 5 pin relay I had laying around and mafe a jumper harness to match the standard harness. Everything is good now.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”