replace coolant reserve tank

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dell77
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade

replace coolant reserve tank

Postby dell77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:19 am

Hi all, need some help. I have 96 Aspy with leaky reserve tank. It appears that I need to remove the carburetor in order to remove the reserve coolant tank. If anyone has ever replaced the tank please tell me the carburetor does not need to be removed. There must be another way!
Thanks in advance for any help with this.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: replace coolant reserve tank

Postby ct1500 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 am

The plastic tank itself should not spring a leak, the rubber grommet top center is notorius for leaks and can be replaced without tank removal. Are you positive it is the tank leaking?

Everything is a very tight fit up front and here is a pic of coils showing upper and lower coil bolts which must be removed to reposition for tank removal per manual. Picture is with carbs REMOVED and tank is in background.
Attachments
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

dell77
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby dell77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:06 pm

CT, thanks for the reply. No it is not leaking on the top hose. I ran the bike up to temperature and I can see a steady horizontal stream coming from behind the tank and shooting to the right. The stream is approx. the size of a pencil lead. As far as I know there are no other coolant hoses in that area except the rad. filler hose. So it pretty much has to be coming from the back side of the tank.

Thanks for the pictures and you know my next question. In order to remove the two ignition coil bolts and move it out of the way to get at the tank, do I need to remove the carbs first? I would really rather not take the carbs off. I would rather remove the entire fairing than mess with the carbs. Do you know if the tank can be accessed from the front with the fairing removed?

Matt G
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby Matt G » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

There should be no streaming or shooting of coolant from the tank, it is not under pressure, a drip maybe, if there is a stream you need to look deeper.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”