Auto Tire on the Rear

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Auto Tire on the Rear

Postby Maddogg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Can anyone recommend a car tire for my 1990 GL 1500 Goldwing. Have seen some posts, but mostly for the 1800. Haven't been able to find the stock size either. Anyone know? And what is a runflat? Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Auto Tire on the Rear

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:45 pm

There are several people here who have used an Austone Taxi Tire on the rear and have only good things to say about it.

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:06 pm

There are a lot of sites with this info and I have cruised most of them. The top 3 listed seem to be the following:

Michelin PA3 ZP 195/55/16
Kumho 195/55/16 ( a run flat tire)
Austone Taxi Tire 175r16

I don't personally endorse any of them as I have yet to run one. I just ordered a spare rim to install a CT on and will venture into the tire purchase in a month or two. As far as a "runflat" goes, it is a tire that is built to run without air in it for a set of miles... most say 50'ish. This way, if you pick up a screw or something, you are not left waiting on the side of the road for a hook to drag you to a bike shop. NOTE: Most commercial places WILL NOT install a CT on a MC rim. Call it liability, whatever. Find a sympathetic shop or a local DarkSider that bought the equipment to change the tire. It is not real easy to do it yourself with spoons and you may find yourself with a torn apart bike and no way to reassemble it if you do it yourself. Just giving you a heads up. It will also take close to 100 psi to set the bead on the rim, so unless it "pops", it isn't seated. Also, the bike will not handle exactly like it did with a MC tire, comparable but not exact. Don't go rolling into the twisties until you have put it and yourself through the paces. Otherwise, you could make good friends with the local aid unit or coroner. Jus' lettin ya know...

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:59 am

I do have some experience with running the Austone taxi tire on my 1500. To begin with it is easy to spoon the tire onto the rim, it does NOT take 100psi to seat the bead. Mine seated with only 40 psi ( use tire lube). If you do pump it up to 100psi you are just asking for trouble.
While it is true the feel of car tire on the rear is different than a MC tire it is only a minor difference and you adjust to the new feel within 100 miles or so.

The Austone tire is very much like a bike tire, thereis a smooth transition from side to side with no squirly feel to it even when you have the bike leaned all the way over and are scraping pegs in the twisties.the Austone tire is about an inch taller than the stock MC tire which raises the back of the bike a little making peg scratching even farther over than before. I run 48-50 psi in mine and like the feel of it there best for my style of riding( aggressive) The tire sticks even under hard acceleration or the hardest braking I have put it through. Even in the rain it hasnt slipped. Gravel roads are a piece of cake now even when pulling my tent trailer
The only thing about the car tire that I find to be a negative is that at slow speeds the bike does want to follow grooves in the road a litttle more than with the MC tire once you get to know this its easy to deal with.

I have just about worn my first Austone tire out and will be ordering a second one soon. The improved traction both wet and dry are the main reasons i am staying with this tire. The cheaper price and more miles per tire are secondary considerations for me. Im my opinion and my seat of the pants testing ,and I tested this tire very aggressively ,this is a good tire for the 1500 if you want to try the darkside.8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:41 am

Another viewpoint: Not "everyone" likes the Austone. Myself included. For some reason they work well on some bikes and not so well on others. I know personally a couple of guys and of a dozen guys that the Austone didn't work out well for on their 1500s. Myself and a buddy pulled them after about 300 miles and sent them back and got a refund. We tested them at different pressures all the way up to 55 lbs. to no avail. The back end felt wobbly and followed every crack in the road. Concrete roads that had been resurfaced were a nightmare. Above 80 mph the bike felt like it wanted to lift off. (Very scary.) In a head wind it was all over the road. Both of ours took about 90 lbs to seat. (With tire lube.) And you have to modify the inner fender or the tire will rub and melt the plastic. Do your research and decide for yourself. Looking for an alternative but all the others are a shorter tire and I don't want that.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 am

I agree with everything Roadrogue said. My Austone seated very easily. If a tire takes 100lbs to "pop", there is something wrong- take it off and do it over. Ding Dong and his friend are the only guys that I know of that had a bad experience with the Austone, but I'm sure there are some others. I'm not as aggressive as the roadrogue and rarely exceed 75mph, but I have had my bike up to an indicated 95mph without so much as a wiggle. Everyone talks about a different feel, but I never experienced it. I preferred the Austone because it's a little taller than a stock bike tire and it is a six ply stiff sidewall tire compared to the shorter, run flats. The Austone works well with a bias as well as a radial front tire. The bit of tallness drops the rpms a little(300+/-) at cruising speed, and makes the bike a snap to put on the center stand. I put a radial front tire on, used Dyna-beads in both, have no evidence of cupping and very even(very little on the back) tirewear on both, after over 13K miles. Realize it is a choice, it's not for everyone, but from my personal experience, it has been nothing but positives for me. For others, like Dingdong, it wasn't so good. He certainly isn't the only one that had a bad experience, but does seem to be in the minority with this particular tire. I wouldn't discount what he states-he reported his results with that tire right away and checked with others using it. His buddy had the same results as he did. Whether it was a batch of tires or a problem with their bikes(which I doubt), be aware that your results may be the same as his- or mine!

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 pm

I have a Michelin Agilis 195/75-16 10 ply truck tire. Mounted with 25 psi. Tires were good enough for 80k on a F350 crew cab dually. It would be on bike now but was removed for replacement of rear wheel bearings. After the work needed to replace rear on a GL1500 I believe I'll wait until the Maxis is worn out. Michelin handled better at Deals Gap and stops far shorter than MT and is the safest feel ever in the rain. Tried to get it to slide on paint stripes in rain but it did not give up an inch. About 1.75" taller than stock, over 1000 miles fuel consumption was increased by 4 mpg.

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/vstar10 ... 20Goldwing

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:42 pm

robb wrote:I have a Michelin Agilis 195/75-16 10 ply truck tire.

How much does that tire size change your speedo?

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Speedo is set of front tire from factory, but I have an electronic to mechanical speedometer box, signal from shaft reports rpm and it has cable output to speedo. Regardless of what tire run the box is offset to correct speedo. The 3.5 mph difference is good for 350-400 rpm less. Now on interstate the cruise will lock at 81 mph and hold. Tried a 170/60-16 and was 350-400 rpm more. Reading from front tire at 75mph on speedo the GPS reported 71-72mph

SgtCharlie
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencade in "Plum Crazy" Purple

Postby SgtCharlie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:47 am

I've owned my very first Goldwing, a 1995 GL1500 Aspencade SE since April 2013 (this year). I had to replace the front tire immediately but am only just now looking at replacing the rear tire and I'm really looking forward to getting a CT for it. I've read the posts on here but haven't heard about the Dunlop S3. Has anyone here used that one in particular? There's just so much information out there that it's a little confusing to me. What is the best tire for the 1995 GL1500? Price is not really a factor since the tire wears so much less than a MT. Also, is it hard to mount a Runflat? Has anyone had any problems getting shops to mount the tires for them?

I'm new to all this CT business so thanks for the patients!

God Bless and Ride Safe! (Don't forget to do your TCLOCS every day, every trip!)

PS. I also use http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/ for information on this topic!
Sgt Charlie
86th Signal Battalion
Fort Bliss, TX

1BigBear
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A
2091 VTX VT600 BOBBER

Re: Auto Tire on the Rear and front

Postby 1BigBear » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:22 am

Wazzup broz! I'm looking to go to CTz on my 1996 GL1500 with a California side car. I have mixed feelings about the transition, but I am open to all help I can get. I don't have any experience with CTz. With all the chat its overwhelming. The beads, mounting this tire in reverse, smushy ride and the like. I want to get the bang for my bucks. I'm not one for taking the road that is most easily traveled. So, can you help a brother out. I have two little ones that get to ride in the side car and safety is foremost. I have tire machine and the like. But dont know anything about beads. Thx broz, ride easy, 4 life!

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:42 pm

I don't see an issue with it, especially when running sidecar. The sidecar really makes the debate over function a moot point (i.e. the war over whether it turns right or has a good contact patch). Trikes run car tires. Fake triked Wings - the ones that are actually training wheels added to the bike using original running gear- can and often do use car tires. I ran one on my 89 and run one now on my 2012 1800. They bead up just fine and run just as fine. You will probably have to set the bead then let the air out so you can get it onto the bike, then air up the tire again because most of the CT's used on Wings don't fit in while aired up. Go for it. Enjoy and let us know how you liked it when you change it out for a new one in 40k miles.

Earl43P
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100, parked in Pa.
93 GL1500 Interstate DD
99 Valkyrie IS

Postby Earl43P » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:17 pm

I feel qualified to comment.
I run the Austone on my 93 and love it, at 45 psi. It weaves above 80mph at less than 40 psi.
I've put just over 14,000 miles on it since April 7th and run a rear tire on the front (Michelin Pilot Activ, stock size).
Never really rode this machine except on those two new tires and love it.

I also have a Valkyrie Interstate which I've ridden just over 35,000 miles on two different rear car tires.
Did not like the first one, a no-name (square edged) 205/60-16. Still, put 20,ooo miles on it.
Now it runs on a 195/55-16 Yokohama, which is shorter than a stock tire. Makes it accelerate like a hot rod.
It also has a Pilot Activ 130/90-17 rear tire on the front.

I can't tell that the ATT on the 93 is not a MC tire. Never feel any transition from flat to curves. Handles great, I call it "firmly planted".
The Valkyrie, with a more traditional car tire DOES require a firmer push to any bank AND wants to straighten back upright quickly without that hard push. Can get your shoulders sore on a long day in the mountains.

I run these two double-darkside for the tire longevity since I ride almost exclusively (28,000/year just for my commute).
Lastly, the Valk will get an ATT when it wears out the Yokohama.

I also use Airsoft ceramic pellets as balancing beads and have my tires mounted by a guy that sells used tires/garage.
When all else fails, RTFM!

99 Valkyrie Interstate
82 GL1100 nekkid-ish
93 GL1500 Next!

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Postby 702scottc » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:55 pm

I'm scheptical of using a car tire on a motorcycle. 2 different tires designed to do different things. I can see the advantage of using them on a sidecar application since the bike doesn't lean into curves. Maybe someone here can enlighten me on the subject?

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:56 pm

702scottc wrote:I'm scheptical of using a car tire on a motorcycle. 2 different tires designed to do different things. I can see the advantage of using them on a sidecar application since the bike doesn't lean into curves. Maybe someone here can enlighten me on the subject?

I will make it really simple for you... don't put a car tire on your motorcycle. Your statement of "2 different tires designed to do different things" says it all and there is no enlightenment needed. A simple search on this site about car tires on motorcycles, heck, this thread on it's own, has enough pro and con to confuse the heck out of the topic. My guess is that you are skeptical about it for safety reasons and I totally get that. Don't put a CT on your bike.

Those of us who run car tires on our rides do so because it works, not because it is the scientifically proven and designed thing to do. I personally trust the experience of those who have been dark side for many years and that tells me it is valid. I made the choice to go dark side barring any of the copious amounts of "don't do it cause you will die!" statements and I can personally tell you I have not died and I ride it like I stole it. I ride on a CT in the sun, the rain, while it's snowing, when there are patches of ice and many of the times it is probably nuts to be riding. My CT has never left me hanging and I trust that Michelin way more than I ever trusted my Dunlop.

2 schools of thought... it isn't designed to do that so I shouldn't AND who cares about the science, it friggen works. Pick your school...and go with it.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”