relay block

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dodgeim
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 Honda Aspencade w Hannigan trike conversion

relay block

Postby Dodgeim » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:24 am

I recently found out that the relay block of my 1500 Aspencade had been melted due to too much current draw while using the reverse mode. This left my tail lights and dash left side dead when the relay blew. A Honda dealer managed to replace the relay but advised against using the Reverse mode of the bike because of the damage that's occurred.

Is there a replacement block with wiring harness available, reasonably priced. If so, where might I find it. If not, what might be a reasonably priced solution to the problem. The bike is operating ok now, but I'd like to replace the damaged wiring harness and block. I'm ok with using a used harness and relay block, provided they aren't damaged and too, they are reasonably priced.

All potential sources for parts or phone numbers where I can inquire would be appreciated. I can be reached at mlnnv@mchsi.com or 712-755-2546

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: relay block

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:05 am

There really isn't an alternative - so your options are either buy a new one from Honda ($$$$$$$), or find a used one from a bike breaker or on eBay.

Dodgeim

Postby Dodgeim » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 am

Have checked with the Honda Dealers and found the new block is not available any more. Were it, it would cost almost $1K. Am looking for a good used block if there is one available. Any resources you can recommend?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Unless you were using reverse to pull cars out of ditches or did a parade in reverse that is a first that I have heard that using reverse did damage to a wiring harness. :?

There is a particular relay in the box which will tend to run a little warm with current flow and damage the electrical terminal within and thus cause some melting of the relay block. This will be especially true if add on electrical devices have been attached to the machine improperly using existing wiring, upping fuse ratings, etc. instead of separate new circuits. I forget which relay was the troublesome one.

A fix short of replacing relay block is to remove relay and reposition elsewhere (under seat), Cut back overheated wiring, extend with new terminals to the new location.

Which relay was the one your machine had the problem with?

Current draws must be carefully investigated to determine why this particular meltdown occurred.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:39 pm

I assume that it is relay #3 that is the problem.  It is usually the one that has the overheated contact and melted socket issues.  My 1500 has a similar problem but not to the extent that yours does.

I have taken the relay panel away from its mounted position and worked with the contacts to make a better electrical connection so that any future damage will be limited.

In the off chance that my panel gets any further damage, I will splice new wiring to the existing wiring behind the panel and install an auxiliary socket.  Relays and sockets can be found at any auto parts store and they are in abundance online.

Your other option is to install a used panel that will no doubt have similar damage to your existing panel.  In my opinion, it will be much much easier to splice in a replacement socket for the #3 relay instead.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Dodgeim

Postby Dodgeim » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:20 pm

The relay in question is the one that governs the reverse light on the dash, the other lights on the left side of the dash, and the tail lights etc. I don't know without looking which relay it is, but it shut off all power to the dash left and taillights as well as the reverse function.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”