1997 GL1500SE speedometer stopped working

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
craig10
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

1997 GL1500SE speedometer stopped working

Postby craig10 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:25 am

I am going to get a manual, just hoping someone has a quick answer. One second it was working the next it just stopped. Also the odometer and tripometer doesn't work. I don't see a fuse in the box for it. Does anyone know if there is fuse for it? Or where the speedometer cable attaches to the engine. Maybe it came loose. Appreciate any feed back.

ejones0310

Re: 1997 GL1500SE speedometer stopped working

Postby ejones0310 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:53 am

There isn't a fuse because its an all mechanical system. On the left side of the front wheel is a hub that drives a cable that goes to the speedometer. In my case, when it quit working, the hub had worn down to the point that it wouldn't drive the cable anymore. Here is what I suggest; disconnect the cable at the hub and use a variable speed drill to drive the cable. You will need a slotted screwdriver bit to drive the cable. Make sure that the cable doesn't slip down or this won't work. Before you start, make note of the odometer reading, drive the cable with the drill for a bit and then see if the odometer moved. If it didn't, you most likely have a broken cable. If it did, your cable and speedometer head are okay, but the drive gear assembly on the wheel has a problem. The problem can be a stripped gear, or it can be that the two projections on the assembly that engage the wheel have worn down and no longer engage it properly. You can either buy the mechanism's inner workings or the entire mechanism at any dealer of OEM Honda parts. I got mine from Dillon in Nebraska, but anyone should have it.

BTW, you will also discover your turn signals won't cancel and your cruise control won't set. These are all symptoms of no speedometer function since they all tie in through the speedometer head unit.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 01, 2010 2:05 pm

I had it happen to mine recently as well - the cable had broken near the hub. A fairly simple and inexpensive fix.

craig10
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Postby craig10 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:50 pm

I took it a apart and looked at it. The tab on the drive gear on the wheel side was sheared off. I think the cable might have seized up and sheared off the tab on the drive gear. The mileage doesn't change when you spin the cable. I would say it needs both the gear and cable changed. I hope it isn't to hard to change the drive gear. Thanks for all the info.

ejones0310

Postby ejones0310 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 pm

The tab more than likely just wore off. I don't think that the cable can seize up that hard. You can pull the cable with a pair of needle nose pliers and check to see if any of it is missing. It should have a square end at the head where it fits in the head. If you pull out a frayed piece, then you will have to disconnect the cable housing at the speedometer head and pull the other piece out from there.

To change he drive unit, you have to pull the front wheel. You can get the pieces inside the drive unit for much less than he drive unit itself. If I remember correctly the drive unit was between $60 and $70 while the inside pieces were about $25. But then that was a while back, and my memory isn't all that clear on it.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”