Question about replacing the front wheel

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Question about replacing the front wheel

Postby Happytrails » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:34 am

I've read the guide for this but I am just trying to understand what I'm doing (so I dont mess it up). I reinstall the axle and make sure its all the way seated. Then I hand tighten the axle nut on the other side. Then I snug the pinch bolts and then torque the axle nut to 65lbs and then the pinch bolts to 16lbs? The thing I'm trying to understand is what if I dont snug up the pinch bolts enough before torquing the axle nut. Wouldn't it pull the forks together and perhaps bind the wheel? Or should I torque the pinch bolts first to make sure that wont happen? Help me understand whats going on please :D

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Question about replacing the front wheel

Postby MikeB » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:45 am

If you follow the procedure that is in the service manual, I don't see how you can go wrong.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:10 am

Good advice! Spent all that money on a service manual, why didn't I think of that :P
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Happytrails wrote:I've read the guide for this but I am just trying to understand what I'm doing (so I dont mess it up). I reinstall the axle and make sure its all the way seated. Then I hand tighten the axle nut on the other side. Then I snug the pinch bolts and then torque the axle nut to 65lbs and then the pinch bolts to 16lbs? The thing I'm trying to understand is what if I dont snug up the pinch bolts enough before torquing the axle nut. Wouldn't it pull the forks together and perhaps bind the wheel? Or should I torque the pinch bolts first to make sure that wont happen? Help me understand whats going on please :D

That is the procedure that is specified in the service manual. You can't "pull the forks together and bind the wheel" because there is solid steel between the two forks. You have the forks, spacers, then the bearing races, and the spacer inside the wheel. You want all of this stuff jammed together very tightly in order to make the bottom end of the forks just as solid as the top end. So you put the axle through, and torque the axle nut to full tightness. Now the axle/wheel system is tightened to the forks, but the wheel can still turn normally on the bearings. This is when you tighten the pinch bolts, to properly align this bound-together system to the forks.

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks! That the answer I was hoping for. I wanted to understand how it worked and you cleared that up perfectly.

Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”