Help! I have a ticking noise after replacing left head...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Kemoloney
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A with SE Enhancements

Help! I have a ticking noise after replacing left head...

Postby Kemoloney » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:47 am

Happy Hallowing everyone!

I could sure use some help. Yesterday I swapped out the left cylinder head on my 97 Aspencade due to having a broken manifold stud that couldn't be repaired. I used new head and intake manifold gaskets, torqued everything to spec and set the timing properly. Now it has a tick.

If I pull the number 4 plug wire (left side center) the tick is gone and the engine sounds pretty normal. It even revs okay.

What Ive done so far is replaced the number 4 spark plug and added MMO to the crankcase and fuel tank thinking it would maybe quiet down some since my replacement head had been sitting for awhile on my spare parts engine but no luck.

Any ideas as to why the tick would go away when pulling the #4 plug wire? If I pull the 2 or 6 plug wire on the left side, the tick is still there. Also of note...when I idle the engine above 1100 rpms, the tick is gone. At 1000 or less it is there.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you amazing Goldwing Gurus. Without this site and all the tips and tricks I have already learned from you good people, I'd probably be riding a moped.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Help! I have a ticking noise after replacing left head..

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 pm

+could be an electrical short arcing and with the plug out and wire off..it stops..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:31 pm

If head sat for long were the valves removed to assure free movement. Suspect it is a hydraulic valve adjuster, once removed they needed to be installed in same location they were removed from. Could be a shim missing if cam holder was removed.

Kemoloney

Postby Kemoloney » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:02 pm

robb wrote:If head sat for long were the valves removed to assure free movement. Suspect it is a hydraulic valve adjuster, once removed they needed to be installed in same location they were removed from. Could be a shim missing if cam holder was removed.

I'm leaning this way myself. I replaced the head because of broken manifold stud bolts in the original cylinder head. tonight I fixed the stud problem and am going to put the original head back on tomorrow. Hopefully that should do the trick.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted. Hope you get it worked out.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Also check the exhaust manifold gasket for a leak on that cylinder. Exhaust leaks can sometimes manifest themselves as a ticking noise. That would also explain why the noise goes away when you pull the plug for that cylinder.

Kemoloney

Postby Kemoloney » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:47 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Also check the exhaust manifold gasket for a leak on that cylinder. Exhaust leaks can sometimes manifest themselves as a ticking noise. That would also explain why the noise goes away when you pull the plug for that cylinder.

Actually you may be right on the money. I noticed that one of the gaskets wasn't completely crushed but I pulled them all off before looking at them so I don't know which cylinder it was near.

Anyway, after putting the original stud-repaired head back on, I fired it up and am pleased to say that it runs like a champ. The tick is gone and it doesn't sound like a truck anymore. It now sounds like a Goldwing

However, nothing goes 100% as planned and Ive encountered another problem. The fans no longer come on. I grounded the wire going to the fan switch with the ignition on and the fans work perfectly. I have encountered this same issue earlier this summer so I replaced the fan switch and that seemed to do the trick. Now they are not working again and the temp gauge goes all the way to the red. I find it hard to believe that the new fan switch went bad already. Any suggestions? Possibly the temp sensor that's located behind the left radiator? relay maybe? I have no blown fuses. If the fans come on when I ground the switch wire, would that rule out a bad fuse/relay. Is fan failure a common problem on GL1500s? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:07 am

If the fans come on when you ground the wire, then the problem is caused by one of three things:

- Broken/open wire between wherever you grounded it and the thermo switch
- Bad thermo switch
- Air in the coolant system

If there is air in the coolant system, it won't conduct heat to the thermo switch in order to close it. Being that you just had the head off, that would be the first thing I would check out. Did you run/burp/fill the cooling system for a good five minutes after refilling with coolant?

Kemoloney

Postby Kemoloney » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:48 am

WingAdmin wrote:If the fans come on when you ground the wire, then the problem is caused by one of three things:

- Broken/open wire between wherever you grounded it and the thermo switch
- Bad thermo switch
- Air in the coolant system

If there is air in the coolant system, it won't conduct heat to the thermo switch in order to close it. Being that you just had the head off, that would be the first thing I would check out. Did you run/burp/fill the cooling system for a good five minutes after refilling with coolant?

Thanks for helping me narrow it down. I think the ground is good because I can touch the fan switch wire to anywhere on the left radiator where the fan switch is installed and the fans kick on at any temp. Also, that fan switch is new so I have pretty much ruled that out.

As for the cooling system, I did run it for more than 5 minutes with the radiator cap off. Is there anything else that should be done to burp the cooling system? I think I read that leaving the cap off is what let's the air in the system escape. What about the thermo unit which is located behind the left radiator and screwed into the thermostat housing? Does that also control whether the fans kick on or not?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Correct. As it runs and circulates the coolant, air bubbles are moved through the system. When the air bubble gets to the filler cap, it escapes, and the coolant level drops. You then add coolant to keep it topped up. I did this for about five minutes, continually adding coolant as it dropped each time. I tried running the engine at several different speeds during this time.

However, you are seeing the temp gauge go to the red, so it sounds like there is coolant being circulated. Have you put a meter on the switch terminal itself and measured resistance to ground, when the bike is good and hot? You should see infinite resistance (open circuit) when cold, and zero resistance (shorted to ground) when hot.

Kemoloney

Postby Kemoloney » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:51 am

WingAdmin wrote:Correct. As it runs and circulates the coolant, air bubbles are moved through the system. When the air bubble gets to the filler cap, it escapes, and the coolant level drops. You then add coolant to keep it topped up. I did this for about five minutes, continually adding coolant as it dropped each time. I tried running the engine at several different speeds during this time.

However, you are seeing the temp gauge go to the red, so it sounds like there is coolant being circulated. Have you put a meter on the switch terminal itself and measured resistance to ground, when the bike is good and hot? You should see infinite resistance (open circuit) when cold, and zero resistance (shorted to ground) when hot.

No I haven't tried this yet. Which setting would I use on my multimeter? ohms/continuity? One probe to the terminal where the wire plugs into the switch and the other probe to ground?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Kemoloney wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Correct. As it runs and circulates the coolant, air bubbles are moved through the system. When the air bubble gets to the filler cap, it escapes, and the coolant level drops. You then add coolant to keep it topped up. I did this for about five minutes, continually adding coolant as it dropped each time. I tried running the engine at several different speeds during this time.

No I haven't tried this yet. Which setting would I use on my multimeter? ohms/continuity? One probe to the terminal where the wire plugs into the switch and the other probe to ground?

That's right. You should see zero ohms (or very close to it) between the probe and ground (engine case is a good ground) when it is hot.

Kemoloney

Postby Kemoloney » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:58 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Kemoloney wrote:

That's right. You should see zero ohms (or very close to it) between the probe and ground (engine case is a good ground) when it is hot.

Ok. I'm gonna run some tests today. Went to Cedar Point yesterday with the family so my entire Saturday got spent. Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know what I find out.

Kemoloney

Postby Kemoloney » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Problem solved! I tested the switch and it showed to be failing. So I decided to remove the switch for further testing and guess what, no antifreeze poured out. I figured that without coolant flowing down to the switch, the switch couldn't detect temperature change and therefore could not function. So I added more coolant and bingo, the switch functioned. I guess I did not fill it with enough coolant after changing out the head. So now my fan problem is solved but the wing is back to sounding a bit loud and has a hesitation when turning the throttle. When I turn the throttle it like hesitates or bogs down slightly before revving. Not good for take offs at an intersection. The loudest point sounds like it's coming from the area of the exhaust collector. Maybe they are rusted out inside and I should buy a new or good used one. I don't know what else to think. I'm close to giving up for the year and beginning again in the spring. This project has been most rewarding and discouraging all at the same time. :evil:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”