88 Radio

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
captainkyle
Motorcycle: 1989 Vmax

88 Radio

Postby captainkyle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Is the radio on an 88 supposed to play out of all 4 speakers at the same volume. There is what looks an aftermarket fader knob on the bike but it is not hooked up. This radio sounds like crap & is not very loud at all & don't pick up that great. I think I need to send it to sierra but was just curious about the speaker situation.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: 88 Radio

Postby tandem54 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:32 pm

I have an 88 with the front fader control (just below the ignition key) and my radio sounds great, all 4 speakers front & back. I'd check the wiring and then the radio?
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:58 am

My 88 also had a fader installed but not connected up. The front speakers worked, but the rears were so quiet. The rears had been wired directly to the front speakers so I investigated with much help from here and other wingers, how to connect the fader in- finding one elusive plug was difficult (down near the CB radio controls) and then copied the correct wiring for the rear speakers and patched them in to the plug under the seat for adding a rear speaker kit. After that it was loud and proud from all four speakers and I could fade fronts out and back up or vice versa.
Are we having fun yet?

captainkyle

Postby captainkyle » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:08 am

liquineer wrote:My 88 also had a fader installed but not connected up. The front speakers worked, but the rears were so quiet. The rears had been wired directly to the front speakers so I investigated with much help from here and other wingers, how to connect the fader in- finding one elusive plug was difficult (down near the CB radio controls) and then copied the correct wiring for the rear speakers and patched them in to the plug under the seat for adding a rear speaker kit. After that it was loud and proud from all four speakers and I could fade fronts out and back up or vice versa.

I will have to dig in this as soon as I get the chance. This could very well be the case some one might have done the same thing to my speakers. The radio still might have an issue since it fades in & out.

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 am

Can't help with the radio, but I can help you locate the plugs and what wiring you need when you are ready to look in to it.
Are we having fun yet?

captainkyle

Postby captainkyle » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 pm

liquineer wrote:Can't help with the radio, but I can help you locate the plugs and what wiring you need when you are ready to look in to it.

Thanks you ! This is my 3rd 1500 I know a bit about them but the 88 model being what I call the **** child I cant say I know every thing about it. I have painted 5 of the 1500's& 2 of the full dressed 1000's All I can say about that is what a pain in the ass.LOL

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”