Windshield vent.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Windshield vent.

Postby Maddogg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:04 pm

I have a question about installing a windshield vent on a GL 1500. I saw the How to article and it was fantastic. Very informative and made me want to install one. The possible problem. I have, what I assume, is an aftermarket windshield. It is a very large windshield but I am not sure of the name. It was on the bike when I bought it. I went to buy a vent at Dave's Cycle shop and he told me that the vent would not work because the Aftermarket windshield is thicker than the stock windshields that came on the bikes. It would not fit right without having to use longer bolts to hold it in place. I don't know enough about the windshields to refute what he is saying. That is why I am here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. you guys are the best when it comes to information and helping your fellow riders. I have learned alot from this website, and because of that, I rarely visit the other Goldwing sites anymore. Thanks in advance.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Windshield vent.

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 am

Most likely what you were told is true.
The vents, at least the ones I've worked with, have "snap together" features as well as the screws that hold the 2 pieces together.
Can only suggest you measure your shield thickness then, start calling manufacturers to see if one has a vent for that thickness!
Good Luck!

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:43 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:Most likely what you were told is true.
The vents, at least the ones I've worked with, have "snap together" features as well as the screws that hold the 2 pieces together.
Can only suggest you measure your shield thickness then, start calling manufacturers to see if one has a vent for that thickness!
Good Luck!

That is good advice. I purchased an aftermarket windshield for my 1500 that was a bit thicker than the OEM windshield and it came with a vent, so they are available for thicker windshields. Sorry but I don't remember the brand. Some of the windshield manufacturers will state in their product description that their shields are thicker and stronger than OEM.
Another option is to purchase a new windshield with a vent.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:01 am

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:37 pm

What he's saying is correct. I bought a vent for my Tulsa Tall, and it is thicker than OEM, in order to support the extra size it has, and resist flexing in the wind. It's thick enough that the slide up/down function does not work.

The vents normally have a lip that hooks over the edge of the windshield when you insert it into the hole. The previous owner of my bike had just jammed an aftermarket vent into the windshield then used longer screws to crank it down as tight as they could. The end result was that the vent was cracked and barely holding in. One day it just fell out entirely, in pieces.

The aftermarket vent I bought as a replacement did not fit over the edge of my windshield because again, the windshield was too thick. I very carefully took a heat gun and heated the lip of the vent, bending it outward to enlarge the channel that the windshield edge seats into. It took a lot of time and trial and error, but I eventually got it to where it fit properly. The original screws worked fine to hold it in place.

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:21 am

I put a ceebaileys on my 1500 last year and got it with out a vent. hardly ever used the vent in old wind screen. it is definately thicker and not just any vent will work. I contacted them about buying just the vent if I decided to put one in. they said of course I could get one. the vent for yours is the one that will be the best,of course. if you contact some of the makers, ask if you can send a few pictures and the thickness, a micrometer mite be best for that part. mine has a gradual curve at the top and closer to the bottom, were vent would go, it has a "crease"were the vent would go. good luck finding what you need

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:26 pm

I installed a vent in my aftermarket windshield and had the same issue: thicker than stock.

I went a different route on my install; I used a Dremel and widened the opening in the vent to fit the thicker windshield. It fits tights and doesn't leak - I'm happy (and cooler) :D

--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”