front brakes

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
crazy frog
Motorcycle: 1988 1500GL converted to trike by baron

front brakes

Postby crazy frog » Sat May 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi everyone I have a 1988 1500 trike and keep getting a clicking noise from the brakes when I apply the front brake with the hand lever if you apply it twice quickly it stops. Has anyone else had this problem I have checked the calipers and pads and cannot see anything wrong. also when I put the bike into first gear it really goes in with a clunk do all the older bikes do this or is it a problem with my gearbox hope someone can help with either problem regards Brian :?: :?:

Scanjo
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Re: front brakes

Postby Scanjo » Tue May 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi everyone I have a 1988 1500 trike and keep getting a clicking noise from the brakes when I apply the front brake with the hand lever if you apply it twice quickly it stops.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert. I give my advice with the best of intentions in the spirit of friendship, but if in doubt, check with your local dealer.

I had the same clicking you refer to on my 89 1500. I had a leaking front fork seal which allowed oil onto the brake pads. I replaced the seals and brake pads since they were oil soaked. The clicking is now gone. I'm not saying you have a leak as well but your bike is over 20 years old. If the seals have never been replaced, then a leak is very possible. Check for oil running down the back side of one or both forks. If you find some, it is most likely fork seal failure. Replace the seals. The oil naturally runs down to the calipers so the pads will be soaked as well. Replace them too. Even if the seals are ok, I would bet replacing the pads will solve the clicking for you.

Replacing the seals is not terribly difficult but it can be a bit time consuming and requires a seal driver to put the new seals in properly without damaging the seals or the upper shaft of the forks. If you don't have the driver, I would recommend letting the dealer replace the seals for you. You can save some money by removing the forks yourself and taking only them in to be worked on.

also when I put the bike into first gear it really goes in with a clunk do all the older bikes do this or is it a problem with my gearbox

The clunk going into first gear seems to be the nature of a wet clutch right after startup. The colder it is, the worse it will sound. If it does this ALL the time, then try bleeding the clutch fluid to be sure you are getting full travel in the slave cylinder. You do know that brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years using new fluid from a sealed (not just capped and stored on the shelf) container...right? If it still sounds bad to you, stop by your dealer and let them have a listen. I can't hear it very well from here... :D

Scott

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed May 12, 2010 4:03 pm

I don't have an answer for the front brake problem, but lowering your idle a 100rpm can often reduce the clunk quite a bit when putting the bike into gear!! Is it idling at the correct speed?

Gary

crazy frog
Motorcycle: 1988 1500GL converted to trike by baron

Postby crazy frog » Wed May 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks for the replies have already changed the clutch fluid and it is better changing gears now will try lowering the revs a bit also i am replacing the pads this week see if that sorts the problem cant see any oil leaks on the forks regards Brian

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”