cornering lights.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

cornering lights.

Postby Maddogg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Okay guys, here it is. I could of sworn that I had seen a "How To" on this in this forum, but maybe I am mistaken. I want to fix my cornering lights, the ones that turn on with the turn signal, so they will stay on all the time, not just when I turn the turn sugnals on. I know I read that there are relays for each light but I can't remember the steps after that. I think it said to cut one of the wires and it will stay on whenever the power is turned on to the bike. I like the extra light that I get at night and I am better seen by other motorists with these lights on. Let me know if anyone has done this before and did you like it afterwards.

enjoyriding
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 83,000+
1980 XS1100G 101,200 sold
1976 XS650 54, 000 sold

Re: cornering lights.

Postby enjoyriding » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:27 pm

I haven't changed my cornering lights to driving lights yet, but some day I'd like to. What I've come across in this forum is found under "cornering to driving lamps", type this into the search window in the "GL1500 Information and Questions" board index and see if this is what you're looking for. Not sure how to post the exact link. Maybe somebody else could help with an exact link.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Here's what you want to do compliments of WingAdmin :

For the GL1500's that use these as cornering lights (only come on when turn signal is activated), you will find a relay mounted on the wiring harness fastened to the frame right above where these lights connect - one relay for each light. Look at the socket the relay plugs into, and you'll see one of the wires is green. Cut that green wire, and the light will then stay on all the time, instead of being connected to the turn signals. If you wish to switch it back in the future, just reconnect (splice) that green wire together again.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9444#wrap#ixzz2hl7w4rUp
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:20 am

I have done this to my 97 SE, the relays are on the right side of my bike under the tupperware just above the cornering light. Just cut the green wire and tape it off.
Lower lights on with the key now. They dont throw alot of light down the road for me to see but they do give me that triangle light pattern for the oncoming traffic to see me better. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:22 am

Its always nice to have a backup illumination source, even if you have dual headlights something can cause you to lose it all at once when you least expect it. Myself I am thinking of installing some narrow field Cree LED spotlights in my corner light housings. My 95 Aspencade did not come with them but recently I bought most of the body parts from a wrecked 98 SE and it has the lamps and bezels. They make projector style 20W Cree LED lamps, you may have to modify the socket naturally though. Not to brag but I have dual bi-xenon 55 watt HID lamps up top, not the standard 35 watt kit, bike throws light out at night like a locomotive. I installed a pair of the 194 base Cree projector LED in my position lamps, they themselves are nearly as bright as stock headlights, actually they are on all the time during daylight and the HID lamps are only for at night, cause in Alaska during riding season in the summer we have way too much daylight hours. Early and late season I definitely use the HID lights, too many moose up here, btw I chose the 6000K color, just enough UV in the light to make moose eyes glow.

Want to be noticed? Get some pink or green LED lights in the corner lights. But not blue, fuzz man don't like competition.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:56 am

If you rework to use as running lights, it is best to bur the running light lense. Cornering lamps direct light to the side and 10-15 feet forward and low. In the event they are needed for primary lighting, they are about as affective as holding a flash light. But they will keep you out of the ditch and make it easier to see deer standing 10 feet off roadway.

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 am

This might sound a silly question, but apart from the cornering lights operating when the indicators come on- (and can be converted to always on) and the driving lights always on- what are the differences between them?
I have some as yet unfitted, cornering lights that I was going to make permanently on when fitted, but it seems they aren't that bright from what I can read- is it just a matter of the wattage, or is there something else that distinguishes them?
Not having either of them on my '88 I can't compare them directly at all.
Are we having fun yet?

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am

robb wrote:If you rework to use as running lights, it is best to bur the running light lense.

I'm not sure this is needed "bur the lense" my 98's driving light is as clear as my headlight lense is and the corner/driving bulb only throws the light out 10 feet on each side of the front wheel....just saying
Last edited by bjatwood on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 am

liquineer wrote:This might sound a silly question, but apart from the cornering lights operating when the indicators come on- (and can be converted to always on) and the driving lights always on- what are the differences between them?
I have some as yet unfitted, cornering lights that I was going to make permanently on when fitted, but it seems they aren't that bright from what I can read- is it just a matter of the wattage, or is there something else that distinguishes them?
Not having either of them on my '88 I can't compare them directly at all.

The actual driving lights point strait ahead while the cornering lights point out to the side at about a 45* angle.

BTW If you go the route of cutting the wires at the relay(you can remove the terminal from the relay connector pretty easily and if you want to put back to stock you just plug back into the connector instead of cutting)there is a possibility of overloading the main relay(#3 I think)and melting the socket that the relay plugs into.This relay runs a lot of stuff and will shut your bike down when it fails.These lights were not meant to be on all the time nor was the attached wiring.If you want them on all the time then you really should wire a dedicated relay to the battery that is activated by an ign source.No draw on the main relay this way.
I did run my cornering lights all one summer by removing the wires at the realys by the lights with no problem,but I did reconnect to stock after reading posts about the main relays failing.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks for the clarification and the warning- I will give that some thought.
Are we having fun yet?

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:36 pm

If you change your bulbs to LED there is hardly an amp draw. I want to say the relay will be okay with LED's. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have been in the past.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:03 pm

robb wrote: it is best to bur the running light lense
I meant buy, my mistake.

Relay should be OK with LED's lighter load.

Passing lamps (clear lense) light about 50' ahead while turn lamps (not clear) light about 15', looking forward.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Yep you would be alright with LED's.Was stuck in the old school mode.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:18 pm

silverado6x6 wrote:I installed a pair of the 194 base Cree projector LED in my position lamps, they themselves are nearly as bright as stock headlights,

Have some details about these lights? Is this something new? Where did you get them from??
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:57 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321210362544?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2 x White Car LED T15/T10/194 7W Cree Q5 Single Filament Light Bulb Lamp

These are what I originally installed in my regular 95 position lights, and what I want to install in the 98 SE clear housing, so after I remove the hoods these will slip right in. Well almost, had to trim the hole a bit with an xacto knife. Sorry about the late reply, my day job as a concrete mixer driver has me all tied up with last of the season orders here in Alaska.

Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”