5-Pin DIN headset?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1980 CB900 Custom (parted and sold)
1988 GL1500 (dark side 175/75-16)
Pull-behind trailer (my design)

5-Pin DIN headset?

Postby GoldWingRev » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:03 am

I know this isn't really fitting for this topic, but I wanted some advice. I'm about to pick up my first GL1500, and I wanted some feedback from youse regarding the built-in intercom and radio system vs the Bluetooth ones that are all over the place now. Which do you prefer and why? I have really no intention or need to use my phone while riding.

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Re: 5-Pin DIN headset?

Postby Maddogg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:18 pm

I can give you my 2 cents. I am fairly new to the wings, but so far my experience has been good on the communication system with the Bike. I also have a GL 1500. I also have a chatterbox that has bluetooth, FM radio, driver to passenger intercom and rider to rider. I have found a lot of weaknesses with the chatterbox that I have not found on the GL 1500 system. Driving down the road you will pick up interference from other riders that might have a chatterbox but are not tuned to your channel. If you aren't going to use the bluetooth, which I don't on mine because of poor reception, The intercom on the GL 1500 is the way to go. You can listen to the radio, talk on the CB, (if equipped), and talk to your passenger all with the system that is built into the bike. All you can do with the Chatterbox, if not using the bluetooth, really is listen to the radio, which is hard to program and has small buttons to operate the controls. Very hard to work with gloves on. I don't care what their advertising says. I will use my intercom over my Chatterbox everyday of the week. My opinion only. Get info from other guys to before you make your decision. Welcome to Wing World.

wingman1000
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE
1979 GL1000KZ

Postby wingman1000 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:41 pm

We have both sets, Bluetooth and built in. On the GL1500 we use the built in system as it is easier but on our GL1000 we have to use Bluetooth but the downside is you have to keep charging the batteries.

Regards
Chris

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1980 CB900 Custom (parted and sold)
1988 GL1500 (dark side 175/75-16)
Pull-behind trailer (my design)

Postby GoldWingRev » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:05 am

Maddog--I wanted to do a Back To The Future part 3 quote when I read your user name.
Thank you for your quick response and feedback. A fellow I talked to said Honda's system is pretty foolproof even after 25 years. The prices for the headsets are compatible, but there is no battery to charge (as I believe Wingman1000 posted). The only possible reason for a Bluetooth is to use your phone--and why the hell would you want to on a motorcycle?

As Wingman did, I was gonna get the Chatterbox for my 1100, but the 1500 seems pretty self-suffinet. When I go to buy the headset, do I need an extra cord, or is it long enlightened to reach? And are those mics voice operated (VOX is the term I think)?

Will be taking possession of my 1500 this weekend. Can't wait. Also have the trucker-style CB handset for it.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)

wingman1000
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE
1979 GL1000KZ

Postby wingman1000 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:53 am

The mics on the GL1500 are not Vox operated. When you get the headset you will need to ensure that you have the extension lead as the lead on the bike is very short.

Enjoy your new "toy".

Regards
Chris.

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 am

I didn't need an extension when I bought my headset Wingman.My upper cord was long enough to plug into the bike and then to my helmit. The passenger hook up on mine is in the left side passenger box under her arm. I bought a J&M headset, but I bought the cheap for for like $70. the clarity while talking is fine, but the music is kinda dinny. (Not much base). Also the earphones that go into the helmit pocket were on the large side and I had to modify it to get it to fit. But other than that, It seems to fill my needs. Do some research on headsets before you buy GoldwingRev. J&M is not the only supplier out their and their headsets are not interchangable with other systems. My GL came with 2 lower cords when I bought it, but the cords were the Z series, Which according to them,) is top of the line. But I was not going to pay $160 per headset just to match up to the cords. Good luck. Any other questions, feel free to contact me or anyone else. Everyone in this forum is very helpfull and knowlegeble.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”