1999 Goldwing 1500 SE


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wbhick
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:30 am
Location: Chilliwack, BC
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
1999 Honda Goldwing 1500 SE

1999 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby wbhick » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:14 pm



I am considering upgrading my headlights from stock 45/45W to PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus (I know a wholesaler and he's going to give them to me). They are rated at 60/55W. I know that I will need shims in order to use H4 bulbs but am wondering two things:

1. Will the increased wattage potentially damage the wiring in any way?
2. Will the PIAA bulbs be too hot and damage the plastic headlight housing?

Has anyone had any experience trying this? Any success stories (or cautions)?

Brian



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:24 pm

The wiring will probably not be damaged...although connectors might get hot. If I were going to do that, I might think about running new power wires to the headlights, and switching them using relays actuated by the old wires. That way you will get the full power to the lights and make sure you are getting the full brightness.

Heat is definitely an issue. I would really be cautious about putting such hot bulbs in there.

User avatar
silverado6x6
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 am
Location: Wasilla, Alaska and Adelaide,South Australia
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Re: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby silverado6x6 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:34 am

This may be a bit of a sideways answer to your problem but here is what I just did yesterday, I have a 95 Aspencade, fitted dual 55 watt HID in the housings this summer and Cree 7 watt white LED projectors in the position lamps. A couple of weeks ago I answered a Craigslist ad about some GL1500 body plastic, wound up buying almost two bikes worth of dash, fairing and trunk parts. Out of it was the 98 SE clear headlight housing.
I noticed the H4 Bi xenon HID capsule prongs did not match up in the socket so I just bent them up and the wire bail snapped in place and they are staying put with just the one large prong keeping lamp oriented. The beam pattern is outstandingly precise in lo and hi position, and the 55 watt HID is said to be 5-7 times brighter than any stock or aftermarket halogen, and lasts longer. Its 3 times brighter than a regular 35 watt HID, which is enough for most people.
So far no issues with the lights.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations
Image

User avatar
Happytrails
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Tarentum, Pennsylvania
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The wiring will probably not be damaged...although connectors might get hot. If I were going to do that, I might think about running new power wires to the headlights, and switching them using relays actuated by the old wires. That way you will get the full power to the lights and make sure you are getting the full brightness.

Heat is definitely an issue. I would really be cautious about putting such hot bulbs in there.


Now your scaring me. I got those 60/55w bulbs from Cyclemax.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Happytrails wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:The wiring will probably not be damaged...although connectors might get hot. If I were going to do that, I might think about running new power wires to the headlights, and switching them using relays actuated by the old wires. That way you will get the full power to the lights and make sure you are getting the full brightness.

Heat is definitely an issue. I would really be cautious about putting such hot bulbs in there.


Now your scaring me. I got those 60/55w bulbs from Cyclemax.


If Cyclemax sells them, then they are going to be OK. If people were reporting problems with them, I know for a fact that Gary would not be selling them.

User avatar
Happytrails
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Tarentum, Pennsylvania
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Was hoping you would say that! :D Haven't had a chance to even put them in yet.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

User avatar
landisr
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby landisr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 am

I most definitely am NOT an expert on electronics, but I always thought that a 60/55 bulb used the same power/current and produced the same amount of heat regardless of style, type or whatever. ??

I also was/am under the impression that the bike's wiring was designed for 60/55 but was sold in the States with 45/45 bulbs for some reason.

It's quite possible I am mistaken on either or both points. Can anybody confirm or deny?

Ron (still) in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:15 pm

landisr wrote:I most definitely am NOT an expert on electronics, but I always thought that a 60/55 bulb used the same power/current and produced the same amount of heat regardless of style, type or whatever. ??

I also was/am under the impression that the bike's wiring was designed for 60/55 but was sold in the States with 45/45 bulbs for some reason.

It's quite possible I am mistaken on either or both points. Can anybody confirm or deny?

Ron (still) in MI


A 60/55 watt bulb will always dissipate either 60 or 55 watts (high/low beam), and will always produce the same amount of heat as any other 60/55 bulb. Some bulbs will put out more LIGHT than others.

User avatar
Fiberthree
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Behind the windshield
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
landisr wrote:I most definitely am NOT an expert on electronics, but I always thought that a 60/55 bulb used the same power/current and produced the same amount of heat regardless of style, type or whatever. ??

I also was/am under the impression that the bike's wiring was designed for 60/55 but was sold in the States with 45/45 bulbs for some reason.

It's quite possible I am mistaken on either or both points. Can anybody confirm or deny?

Ron (still) in MI


A 60/55 watt bulb will always dissipate either 60 or 55 watts (high/low beam), and will always produce the same amount of heat as any other 60/55 bulb. Some bulbs will put out more LIGHT than others.



It's also what is inside the glass envelope that gives you the intensity of light. That is why the HID's have different colors even though the same wattage. The wattage is the heat and for years I ran Silverstar lamps. I recently switched to the lower wattage HIDs. I also noticed the chrome reflector in my headlight housing is discolored and flaking. I attribute this to the higher wattage Halogen lamps that I had installed.


Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.


Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kane67 and 1 guest