'89 'wing radio/intercom system

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Firea100
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Valkyrie
1989 Honda goldwing trike

'89 'wing radio/intercom system

Postby Firea100 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 am

Hi to all on the site. I'd like to put an aftermarket radio into my '89 'Wing. (Am/fm). Can the output of the am/fm radio be controlled (muted) the same way through the intercom system or with the cb. Or will they end up being independent systems?
Thanks,
Larry
East China Mi.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: '89 'wing radio/intercom system

Postby Big Blue UK » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:54 am

The handlebar tuning, the cb audio mute, and mute button function controls, work on the same principle as steering wheel controls, sending command signals (scan/previous/next/pause/mute/vol) to the ICE (in car entertainment) unit/receiver (Stereo) unit using different frequencies along the same wire so it is possible using the ICE/receivers steering wheel wire/s.
Basically, the command frequencies from your Wing function controls, are matched up with you Wings receiver, so your receiver knows what to do when a particular button or switch is operated. Some ICE units I have installed allow the user to manually store their vehicle controls to the ICE units memory via a built in interface. You select a function on the ICE such as mute, then operate the mute switch, this tells the ICE what to do when that particular frequency is sent to the ICE init.
To match your Wings frequencies to an aftermarket receiver that does not have a steering wheel control interface built in, you would need a steering wheel control adapter. This acts as a sort of translator that alters the frequencies from your Wing function controls to match the input command frequencies of the ICE unit.
You would need to refer to a good Wing wiring schematic to work out where to connect the adapters wiring to the wires from your Wings Tuning/mute/and CB audio mute wires.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Firea100

Postby Firea100 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:38 am

LegsandaWing, Thank you for all of the information! I guess I'll have to research just what type of a radio I'll need to meet the requirements of the remote controls. As I posted the question, I actually completely forgot about the remote controls!

Thank you again,
Larry Gill
East China Mi.
U.S.A.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:56 am

LegsandaWing wrote:The handlebar tuning, the cb audio mute, and mute button function controls, work on the same principle as steering wheel controls, sending command signals (scan/previous/next/pause/mute/vol) to the ICE (in car entertainment) unit/receiver (Stereo) unit using different frequencies along the same wire so it is possible using the ICE/receivers steering wheel wire/s.

Actually it's far simpler than that - multiplexing buttons onto a single wire is normally done using resistors, not frequencies. One button applies a 100 ohm resistor across the wire, another button applies a 200 ohm, etc. By measuring the resistance, the head unit can tell which of the buttons are being pressed.

Often when there are connector or other problems in this system, stray resistance will get into this wire, which will offset the buttons - so that volume up will actually work tuning down, and so on.

This system can be used to allow for multiple buttons to be pressed at the same time. The first button could be 100 ohms, the next would be 200 ohms, the next 400 ohms, the next 800 ohms, and so on. By utilizing some math, the processor can look at the total resistance, and determine which of the buttons are pressed at any one time.

Firea100

Postby Firea100 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:53 pm

WingAdmin, Could you recommend a radio that you might put into a 1500 IF you were going to do that?
Larry in East China Mi.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Firea100 wrote:WingAdmin, Could you recommend a radio that you might put into a 1500 IF you were going to do that?
Larry in East China Mi.

Honestly, I'm quite happy with the 1500 factory radio, it's weatherproof, the controls are right at hand when riding, and it integrates with the existing controls. If I were having to replace mine, I'd most likely source a replacement OEM radio.

Firea100

Postby Firea100 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Thank you for the reply. I was just thinking of the CD vs. cassette. But then again I found out that I can have an "aux in" plug installed to let me input Sirius and other things. Maybe that's the way I should consider going.
Thank You again for your input AND the great site!
Larry
East China Mi.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:50 pm

Firea100 wrote:Thank you for the reply. I was just thinking of the CD vs. cassette. But then again I found out that I can have an "aux in" plug installed to let me input Sirius and other things. Maybe that's the way I should consider going.
Thank You again for your input AND the great site!
Larry
East China Mi.

Right, I should have mentioned that - I put an Aux In on my radio, so I use that to listen to satellite radio most of the time.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:07 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Right, I should have mentioned that - I put an Aux In on my radio, so I use that to listen to satellite radio most of the time.

Me too :lol:
Most of the time I have my ipod connected via one of these in a fairing pocket, I cut the cig lighter plug off and wired it to a brake reservoir switch. Works ok for me. Hog Tunes speakers made a difference too.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”