GL 1500 water pump

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

GL 1500 water pump

Postby bustedwing » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:07 am

I know the water pump subject has been covered here before but I had an unusual way that mine finally gave up. For the past 2 years the only time any coolant would leak would be when there was no pressure at all on the system. During the course of a summer it might loose a pint of fluid and every once in awhile when the engine was hot you would get a whiff of anti freeze. So now the trike has been parked for 2 weeks and a basketball size puddle under the front, 98,000 miles on it. I think it's due for a water pump over the winter. Anyone got a good price on one?

Proud member Patriot Guard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL 1500 water pump

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Not all that uncommon. Think about where the weep (telltale) hole is located - directly next to the water pump intake. When the engine is running, the water pump is sucking coolant up right next to the hole. If the seal is compromised, it could in fact suck air up in through it.

When the engine is shut off, it's no longer sucking coolant up, so it gradually leaks down through the compromised seal and leaks out the weep hole.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Unless this is something common to Gold Wings, it's not common on anything else. All the training that I have ever had if you suspect a coolant leak you are to bring the cooling system pressure up to whatever the radiator cap is rated at and look for any signs of a leak, including around the weap hole ofthe wwater pump. Never were we trained to take pressure off the system and look for leaks. I have worked on all types of equipment from small cars to large off road heavy equipment and and that is how all of them are checked.
Proud member Patriot Guard

jobe05
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
1989 GL1500

Postby jobe05 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:03 am

bustedwing wrote:Unless this is something common to Gold Wings, it's not common on anything else.

I agree, pressurized everything in the past to check for leaks, however, I think this "No Pressure" theory is correct with at least the 1500.

Mine started leaking last year. Every once in a while I would find a spoonful size puddle on the floor, then it got more frequent, and bigger.

But it only does it when the engine is cold. I have run it, No leaks. Let it sit and idle till the fans come on...... Nothing...... Turn it off..... Nothing... 3 hours later, theres the puddle......

Whatever the reason, it only does it cold....... Changing out my pump this winter.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”