steering head bearings

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
a@r
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE pearl white

steering head bearings

Postby a@r » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Wing admin I am getting ready for a fairly long ride and need a front tire first. Since I will have everything tore down I was going to check or replace the steering head bearings. I see Gary at cyclemax has all balls kit in stock for the 1500. What I read is these are sealed bearings. If that is so is the torque procedure the same, and I assume all the grease and possibly the old races need to be removed for the new bearings. cannot tell much from the picture. If you have any help on the new bearings I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Alan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: steering head bearings

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:06 pm

a@r wrote:Wing admin I am getting ready for a fairly long ride and need a front tire first. Since I will have everything tore down I was going to check or replace the steering head bearings. I see Gary at cyclemax has all balls kit in stock for the 1500. What I read is these are sealed bearings. If that is so is the torque procedure the same, and I assume all the grease and possibly the old races need to be removed for the new bearings. cannot tell much from the picture. If you have any help on the new bearings I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Alan

Those are the exact bearings I installed in my bike. And yes, the races need to be replaced, as the old OEM bearings are ball bearings, and these are tapered roller bearings. They are NOT sealed, the bearing goes in separate from the races, so they do need to be greased up. They should be torqued a bit more than the OEM bearings as well.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”