LED dash lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

LED dash lights

Postby Maddogg » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Ok, here's my problem. I used the DIY to change the dash lights over to LED. When I turn my ignition on, the oil light and the OD light do not come on. I never really payed attention to which lights came on when I go to the on position. I know they turn on and then the appropriate ones turn back off. Looking at the DIY all lights came on except the overdrive. The oil light bulb I took out and reversed the way I plugged it in just to be sure that the polarity wasn't reversed. Still didn't work. I put the old bulb back in and it will not light. I turn on the ignition but cannot get the gears to go into OD to test the light. I did not turn the bike over cause I have in in pieces. I can put it in first, which of course is 1 push down, but then I can only get back to neutral after that. Does the bike have to be running to complete some circuits? I have a drive on, drive off center stand, so I can't get the rear wheel off the ground to test the gears and the light. OD worked before when driving down the road and in 5th gear. I don't know if the bike needs to be running to bring the oil pressure up to complete a circuit so the oil light will work. This is a 1990 GL 1500. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: LED dash lights

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Maddogg wrote:Ok, here's my problem. I used the DIY to change the dash lights over to LED. When I turn my ignition on, the oil light and the OD light do not come on. I never really payed attention to which lights came on when I go to the on position. I know they turn on and then the appropriate ones turn back off. Looking at the DIY all lights came on except the overdrive. The oil light bulb I took out and reversed the way I plugged it in just to be sure that the polarity wasn't reversed. Still didn't work. I put the old bulb back in and it will not light. I turn on the ignition but cannot get the gears to go into OD to test the light. I did not turn the bike over cause I have in in pieces. I can put it in first, which of course is 1 push down, but then I can only get back to neutral after that. Does the bike have to be running to complete some circuits? I have a drive on, drive off center stand, so I can't get the rear wheel off the ground to test the gears and the light. OD worked before when driving down the road and in 5th gear. I don't know if the bike needs to be running to bring the oil pressure up to complete a circuit so the oil light will work. This is a 1990 GL 1500. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

The oil light comes on when there is NO oil pressure, so it should light up when the ignition is on and the engine is off.

To get it into 5th gear, hold the clutch in and rotate the rear tire with your foot. Then click it up into the next gear. Keep doing that - it just needs a little movement inside to get the gear dogs to line up.

Oh, wait, you have a drive off center stand. Well you can try shifting up, and if it doesn't go, hold the clutch in and push the bike forward or backward a few inches, then try again.

Maddogg
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Well crap. That means I have a broken wire somewhere for the oil light. Funny thing is, it worked before. I don't really want to run around with no oil indicator light. I could blow the engine before I realize there's a problem. I will have to wait till I put it back together and run it down the road for the OD light. If it doesn't turn on. I guess I have to tear everything apart again.

Maddogg
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Ok, now it just got strange. I pull the dash back out and checked for power to the socket. I have power when the ignition is turned on. I have tried 5 different bulbs and none will light up. Could I have lost the ground somehow?

Maddogg
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:38 pm

I just ran a wire from the ground up to the ground wire on the back of the socket. I turn the ignition on and the bulb lights up with its own independent ground, but does not turn off even if I start the motor. I pulled the bulb, took the extra ground wire off and turned the ignition on. The socket gets constant power even after I turn the bike on and it is running, but bulb will not light up without the independent ground. I thought I knew about electricity but this one is causing me to scratch my head. Could the oil sending unit be a problem? Possibly not completing the circuit back to ground?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:22 am

Maddogg wrote:I just ran a wire from the ground up to the ground wire on the back of the socket. I turn the ignition on and the bulb lights up with its own independent ground, but does not turn off even if I start the motor. I pulled the bulb, took the extra ground wire off and turned the ignition on. The socket gets constant power even after I turn the bike on and it is running, but bulb will not light up without the independent ground. I thought I knew about electricity but this one is causing me to scratch my head. Could the oil sending unit be a problem? Possibly not completing the circuit back to ground?

That's how it (and most of the warning lights) works. One side of the bulb is supplied with +12V at all times when the ignition is switched on. The other side of the bulb has a wire that runs down to the oil pressure switch. When there is no or low oil pressure, that switch connects the wire to the engine case, which is grounded, completing the circuit and lighting the light.

Try grounding the wire at the oil pressure switch. If the light lights up, then you've got a faulty switch. If it doesn't, then you've got a broken wire or bad connection somewhere between the dash and the switch.

Maddogg
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Postby Maddogg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Ok, found the solution. For any of you out there that did not know this, myself included, the oil light DOES NOT turn on when the ignition is turned on. Only if the oil pressure is low or not there. Drove myself crazy until I found it from another Goldwinger. Is Goldwinger a word? HMMM!!!. Thanks for all suggestions.

:roll: :oops:

bluewing2010
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby bluewing2010 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm a bit worried about the conclusion that Maddog has drawn about his oil light. The light has a 12V supply any time the ignition is turned on. The oil pressure switch earths the light when the oil pressure is low. Therefore, when the ignition is first switched on, the oil light should come on because there is no oil pressure with the engine stopped. If the light isn't on then there is either a broken wire between the light and the oil pressure switch, or the switch is stuffed. Either way, with the current situation, if oil pressure is lost while riding, the light is not going to come on, so goodbye engine.

michael.mcleroy
Motorcycle: 1988 honda 1500 gl goldwing

Postby michael.mcleroy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:31 am

I totally agree with bluewing2010, be careful Maddogg,don't lose a engine

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”