'97 GL1500 SE Auxilliary Tail/Brake Light

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

'97 GL1500 SE Auxilliary Tail/Brake Light

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:53 am

I've had my '97 for a little over a year now. Started adding some LED lighting to it, by following other posts on this website. Put some Alpena MaxLED lights in the trunk side lights, as well as the saddlebag side reflectors. They turned out great, and are much brighter than the OEM 'parking' lights that come stock on the rear. Had been wanting to add a brighter brake light to the rear. Bought a 1' MaxLED strip a while back, but never could figure a way to install it that wouldn't look half-assed. I decided to proceed anyway, when I came across a really good solution. I had a brand new right side LED trailer light left over from my boat trailer that I knew was seriously bright, in both parking and braking modes. I sized it up and found a great location for it. It's a Blazer International C7298 passenger side trailer light. These things put out some serious light, are waterproof, and well made. The only modification needed was to cover the 'right' side clearance light that comes standard on a trailer light. That was simply a matter of removing the red plastic lens, painting it black, then masking off the interior side light, and painting it black. The photos show the mounting location. The 'parking' function is as bright as the MaxLED's in the trunk and saddles, and the 'braking' function is much brighter than the stock brake lights, even though the photo of braking doesn't seem to show it. The whole thing is connected to a BackOff XP that modulates the 4 stock lights and the new auxilliary in one mode (four flashes / then on), and modulates the spoiler brake light in the other mode (5 flashes / then on / and repeat). If you want some extra brake lighting, this will do the trick, and almost looks factory. The wiring is easily accessible directly behind, and just to the right of the new light. You just have to remove the lower corner body piece below the chrome trim. 2 screws and it's off. The lights sell for about $25 on Amazon. Northern Tool also carries that line of trailer lights for about the same price.

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: '97 GL1500 SE Auxilliary Tail/Brake Light

Postby wingpilot08 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:16 am

Looks nice...but so much for a receiver hitch......
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”