Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
nitefuzz
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Wakarusa, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby nitefuzz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 pm



Since I have only had my Wing for a little over a month and now having to put it away for the winter........ Bummer. I was complaining about this to my brother who has been winging for years........... he explained to me that I have PMS,........... I just looked at him and asked what that means and he said it stands for "Parked Motorcycle Syndrome" I just laughed and said he's absolutely right. Can't wait for Spring.



User avatar
RBGERSON
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:29 am

Why park it, get a snow machine suit, some warm gloves, full face helmet and ride!
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

User avatar
nitefuzz
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Wakarusa, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby nitefuzz » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:19 am

That sounds like a great idea, but we got almost three inches of snow last night and there is more to come,............... once they start putting salt and chemicals down on the roads my wing will have to wait just like me. Its going to be a long winter, walking past the wing everytime I go into my shop.

User avatar
liquineer
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 pm
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby liquineer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:36 am

Don't walk past your wing, add things, maintain it etc, that's the time to make your wing unique to you.
Are we having fun yet?

User avatar
Bigbiker0
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:39 pm
Location: Mont-Tremblant
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby Bigbiker0 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:55 am

nitefuzz wrote:That sounds like a great idea, but we got almost three inches of snow last night and there is more to come,............... once they start putting salt and chemicals down on the roads my wing will have to wait just like me. Its going to be a long winter, walking past the wing everytime I go into my shop.


That's the reason I park mine away of home I don't like to have the knife twisted in the wound. :(
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

User avatar
rottiman
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Pembroke,Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Goldwing GL1500

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby rottiman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:03 pm

My season ended 3 weeks ago. 5" of snow and temp down to 0. Ole' Blue in drydock for some extensive off season servicing. April can't come quick enough.
Attachments

peppilepew
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Plaistow, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby peppilepew » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:02 pm

I know how you feel. I have cold weather gear but nothing will protect her from the salt. Time for personalizing your baby. Think about what you want to do to make her yours and yours alone. Like said above, complete the next years maintenance so when spring hits, away you go! Mine is waiting for one last item (black luggage rack) to arrive. It took almost 2 months for it to come off BO. The final accessories to be added for the winter will be, luggage rack, wiring to lower lights, trailer hitch and wiring, trunk lights, side accent lights, modulated ditch lights with a relay to switch modulation back and forth with high beams. Come spring it's away she goes! Winter is great for these things. I would if not already done change the timing belts. They are way under mileage but things like ozone and heat deteriorate them with time. 10 years or 100K, whichever comes first. change the coolant, brake fluid, molly the rear splines, check fork seals, brakes, install LED dash lights (wait until some originals are gone first), check head bearings and my favorite of course would be HID headlights. I swear my lights on high beam project illuminating light 1 mile ahead, they are a must in deer territory. Have fun! New Years will be here before you know it, then once all the salt and sand is washed away, out she goes!

User avatar
redial
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:17 am
Location: Kapunda, SouthAustralia
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby redial » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:36 am

modulated ditch lights with a relay to switch modulation back and forth with high beams.


Please illuminate me (I need something to brighten me up), what are "modulated ditch lights"?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

peppilepew
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Plaistow, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby peppilepew » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:29 pm

redial wrote:
modulated ditch lights with a relay to switch modulation back and forth with high beams.


Please illuminate me (I need something to brighten me up), what are "modulated ditch lights"?


I am working on the schematic. Being frugal, (nice word for cheap), I plan on using one modulator to modulate either or and both my high beams/ditch lights. I just need time to draw it up. It is going to take a few diodes and relays. It would have to be a playful mood venture as just adding a second modulator would be the smarter easier solution. People get PO when my 1800 high beams modulate in their rear view. I can't but would like to pass them all so to avoid the idiot red necks I don't use the modulation function. Had one chase me in a PU, not much of a challenge to lose him but the wife was quite upset. He was quite the Red Neck! Idiot just didn't understand that bikes need every safety function avail so they see us. He thought I was trying to get him to pull over so I could pass. One person called the cops on me. Not a problem as I carry multiple copies of the DOT law allowing modulation. I want to keep this thread on track but ditch lights as some call them mount under the headlights and do exactly what they are called, point ahead into the ditch as to give us a heads-up relating to critters potentially crossing our path at night. I am going to stretch the law and modulate the ditch lights instead of the HB's. Just trying to be more courteous. I still want the added visibility modulation provides. Because of the way LED's function it will be a flashing light instead of modulated. I like the challenge of being different. Hopefully LEO's will just ignore me like my wife does. lol.

Ditch lights from superbrightleds : http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... ight/1386/

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:17 am

peppilepew wrote:
redial wrote:
modulated ditch lights with a relay to switch modulation back and forth with high beams.


Please illuminate me (I need something to brighten me up), what are "modulated ditch lights"?


I am working on the schematic. Being frugal, (nice word for cheap), I plan on using one modulator to modulate either or and both my high beams/ditch lights. I just need time to draw it up. It is going to take a few diodes and relays. It would have to be a playful mood venture as just adding a second modulator would be the smarter easier solution. People get PO when my 1800 high beams modulate in their rear view. I can't but would like to pass them all so to avoid the idiot red necks I don't use the modulation function. Had one chase me in a PU, not much of a challenge to lose him but the wife was quite upset. He was quite the Red Neck! Idiot just didn't understand that bikes need every safety function avail so they see us. He thought I was trying to get him to pull over so I could pass. One person called the cops on me. Not a problem as I carry multiple copies of the DOT law allowing modulation. I want to keep this thread on track but ditch lights as some call them mount under the headlights and do exactly what they are called, point ahead into the ditch as to give us a heads-up relating to critters potentially crossing our path at night. I am going to stretch the law and modulate the ditch lights instead of the HB's. Just trying to be more courteous. I still want the added visibility modulation provides. Because of the way LED's function it will be a flashing light instead of modulated. I like the challenge of being different. Hopefully LEO's will just ignore me like my wife does. lol.

Ditch lights from superbrightleds : http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... ight/1386/


I think flashing rather than modulating lights will get you pulled over in a hurry.

I modulate the LED position lights on my 1500, as you can't modulate HID lights. I just put a resistor across the modulator, so when the modulator is "off" (which would normally shut the LEDs down entirely), the resistor still allows enough current to keep the LEDs lit dimly. That way the LEDs modulate between dim and full brightness, just like a modulator is supposed to work.

User avatar
redial
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:17 am
Location: Kapunda, SouthAustralia
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby redial » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:02 am

Thanks for the explanation of Ditch lights.

WingAdmin,
Could you give us a diagram of how the resistor is included with the modulator, with sizes indicated. Thanks.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:47 pm

redial wrote:Thanks for the explanation of Ditch lights.

WingAdmin,
Could you give us a diagram of how the resistor is included with the modulator, with sizes indicated. Thanks.


A modulator modulates between 100% and xx% output, with xx% being calibrated to dim the incandescent (halogen) headlight to a specific level of light output.

The problem is, if you put this xx% amount of power (whatever it is) into an LED with an internal 12 volt load/driver, there isn't enough voltage to light up the LED, so instead of a modulated LED you get an LED flashing on and off.

My idea was to add a resistor in parallel with the modulator. When the modulator was full on, the resistor would have no effect. When the modulator was in the dim part of its cycle, instead of xx% output, it would be xx% output plus whatever my resistor allowed to pass - so basically xx% + yy%. The trick is to figure out what value of resistor to use.

The problem is, the value of the resistor is going to depend on the LEDs being used - their current requirements, how many there are, and so on. So it is really kind of application-specific. To determine the value I needed, I used a very scientific method: I hooked up a variable resistor (potentiometer), and fiddled with the knob until the modulated LED "looked" about right. I then removed the variable resistor and connected an ohmmeter to it, to measure what it was set to. I then took a resistor close to that value, and inserted it permanently into the circuit. The value of resistor that I used won't necessarily work for you.

Here's my scrawled diagram - sorry, I realized after the fact that I drew a light bulb instead of an LED, but you get the idea.

Resistor and modulator
Resistor and modulator

User avatar
silverado6x6
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 am
Location: Wasilla, Alaska and Adelaide,South Australia
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby silverado6x6 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:00 am

I can honestly say I may have it the worst, my winter in Alaska is like 6 months long, earliest I have ever ridden was late april, bikes usually are put up and away the first week of november. One year I had snow on the ground and the lakes still froze over till the first week of june.
But I picked up a new toy, a 2012 Equinox, almost done modding a complete LED and HID conversion to it.
And soon I will get back to the 95 Aspencade thats currently taking up all the space in my hot tub room and of course no hot tub for the winter.
But at least its warm and dry with adequate working space so I can finish mods to it and to have it ready for spring.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations
Image

peppilepew
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Plaistow, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby peppilepew » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Earlier I mentioned a dual function circuit for modulating either the high/low beam circuit and 1 other set of lights. The other set can be fog, ditch, position or cornering. Any other uses is completely your choice. This is not a legal setup. I have used something similar with no complaints from LEO's. Your situation may be different. Use at your own risk.

Many will not understand. Some may have a better idea. Let's have some fun. What does it do and how does it work????????



User avatar
minimac
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Oswego, NY
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby minimac » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:54 pm

peppilepew wrote: but nothing will protect her from the salt. ........ all the salt and sand is washed away,

Seems like you had the solution all along. A little soap and water will wash it all away. Man up and ride,as long as there isn't slush and ice. :D

peppilepew
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Plaistow, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby peppilepew » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:42 am

minimac wrote:
peppilepew wrote: but nothing will protect her from the salt. ........ all the salt and sand is washed away,

Seems like you had the solution all along. A little soap and water will wash it all away. Man up and ride,as long as there isn't slush and ice. :D


Why let a little ice and snow stop us. lol





Going to redo diagram so ditch lights have full function. I will post tomorrow.

peppilepew
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Plaistow, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: Parking the Wing for the Winter!!!!

Postby peppilepew » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:45 pm

I changed this a little to give the ditch light circuit full function. Before it had no solid on position with high beam circuit shut off. This is to be used at your own risk. Not legal. Do I think you will have a problem, no. LEO's get upset at rotating flashing lights, not white ones that modulate together. Been told this by a couple of them. They have better things to do than to chase us around. The smart ones know we are just trying to be safe. All the regular fuse protection will need to be employed. I haven't built this yet but it will work.





Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bluewaterhooker0, GrapeshotCrawler [Crawler], wingdings and 4 guests