Antifreeze Leak on 89 gl1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dlfierce
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Antifreeze Leak on 89 gl1500

Postby dlfierce » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:32 pm

I have encountered some antifreeze leaking on my 89 gl1500 during cold weather for the past two seasons, when the weather warms up a bit (above 10 C) it stops. I feel that it could be a loose clamp on the upper rad hoses however I am unable to access them to see if that is where the problem lies so far. This past spring I removed all of the Tupperware from the bike but was unable to remove the left side fan housing from the frame. There are two bolts holding it in place at the top of the housing however I was unable to get it to move after removing them. Not sure if I'm missing something or what. Did not try the right side at that time. Just kept an eye on coolant. After it warmed up I never lost anymore until this past fall when it got colder again. Is there a how to on getting at these hoses?

cpwomer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Antifreeze Leak on 89 gl1500

Postby cpwomer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:19 pm

This will sound crazy but you have whats known as a cold water leak...What actually happens is in the winter metal and plastics shrink, and they shrink just enough to allow liquid to pass by the gasket. Believe it or not even big trucks with the large diesel engine have develop this same problem...Eventually the gasket fails completely warm or cold and you'll just loose fluid all the time...What I would do is since its winter where you are I would pull all the tupperware off and go thru a whole service check for the whole bike but this time every nut bolt or screw that has to do with the coolant systems needs to be properly snugged down all around the motor and radiators, hoses etc. Overall tighten the whole bike...also inspect the radiator parts on top and bottom for what I call hairline cracks that can be affected by hot and cold changes. Remember the 1500's are designed to be a low pressure coolant system. There is a way to pressure check the coolant system but I had to make my own cap with a check valve on it to pump air into the water system to check for leaks very simular to checking for a freon leak in AC with ultra-violet dyes. And GA would be ago way to come for that. Only kidding, but that sounds like your problem...After the 14th of December I am disassembling my 1988 to replace a bunch of stuff but that cause I have 122,555 miles on it and I want to squeeze at least 250 out of it......Good Luck and let me know what you find/deside
1988 GL1500 U.S Army, Ret. Owner/Operator,Ride Captain Patriot Guard Rider of GA, Director American Legion Riders Post 149 Jasper, GA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:16 pm

cpwomer wrote:This will sound crazy but you have whats known as a cold water leak...What actually happens is in the winter metal and plastics shrink, and they shrink just enough to allow liquid to pass by the gasket. Believe it or not even big trucks with the large diesel engine have develop this same problem...Eventually the gasket fails completely warm or cold and you'll just loose fluid all the time...What I would do is since its winter where you are I would pull all the tupperware off and go thru a whole service check for the whole bike but this time every nut bolt or screw that has to do with the coolant systems needs to be properly snugged down all around the motor and radiators, hoses etc. Overall tighten the whole bike...also inspect the radiator parts on top and bottom for what I call hairline cracks that can be affected by hot and cold changes. Remember the 1500's are designed to be a low pressure coolant system. There is a way to pressure check the coolant system but I had to make my own cap with a check valve on it to pump air into the water system to check for leaks very simular to checking for a freon leak in AC with ultra-violet dyes. And GA would be ago way to come for that. Only kidding, but that sounds like your problem...After the 14th of December I am disassembling my 1988 to replace a bunch of stuff but that cause I have 122,555 miles on it and I want to squeeze at least 250 out of it......Good Luck and let me know what you find/deside

Had this on my 1500, while down on the ground putting the shift pivot brace on I noticed my low coolant hose with a drip of coolant coming out from the seam. Tried to tighten the hose clamp, but the old Honda OEM stamped clamp wouldn't tighten without jumping, so I went and bought a replacement at NAPA. No more coolant dripping.

cpwomer

Postby cpwomer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:34 pm

My last 88 had that cold water leak from a hair crack in the plastic tank thats why I mentioned it... You got off cheap with a clamp .. I had to buy a radiator... Good deal glad you figured it out,, Craig
1988 GL1500 U.S Army, Ret. Owner/Operator,Ride Captain Patriot Guard Rider of GA, Director American Legion Riders Post 149 Jasper, GA

dlfierce

Postby dlfierce » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks for the info guys, but my problem is getting the fan housings out of the frame so that I can actually see where the leak is coming from ( I believe it is from the vicinity of the upper rad hoses, or upper rad). I am able to remove the two bolts holding the housing to the frame but then cannot remove the housing. I'm wondering if I'm missing something in order to get them out.

dusty_bottoms
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Postby dusty_bottoms » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:44 pm

I just did the same thing on mine yesterday. The little box that holds that fan has an electrical terminal mount thingy above it that has a tab or maybe two that I had to disconnect so it wasn't restricting the movement. And then the fan motor itself was also hitting the vent hose, actually it's a plastic rectangular tube. Once I removed the bolt that holds the tube to the vent I was able to move it out a couple of inches and then wiggle the fan box out an inch or two so I could get a long screwdriver between the fan box and the radiator and tighten up the clamp on the top radiator hose.

Unfortunately I still have a leak from somewhere up top that I haven't found yet.
I have a car radiator pressure tester that I'd like to find an adapter for to fit onto the GL1500 radiator so I can pressure test the cooling system but I'm not finding one anywhere so far. I can't image everyone who ever wanted to do this had to make their own from an radiator cap. I assume one of these adaptors will fit but I'd prefer to buy just one. http://www.harborfreight.com/radiator-p ... 69258.html

I can't even figure out how to build an cap that has a fitting in it becuase of the middle part with the spring, so if someone has a picture of one they've built I'd appreciate it.

dusty_bottoms

Postby dusty_bottoms » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:22 pm

Anybody know how to pressure test a goldwing cooling system?

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:49 pm

With one of these and can be found cheaper.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-7991
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:41 am

Or after fan removal start the engine and run up to operating temp per the gauge (1/2 way) and shut down. Remove the radiator cap and make sure cooling system is filled up prior to an under the radiator cap level.

The cooling system will now be pressurized with fans out and with light and inspection mirror will allow a good look-see of hoses.
This is what I do

dlfierce

Postby dlfierce » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 am

I will be trying this first thing in the spring, once it warms up, too cold up here right now and unfortunately I don't have a heated workshop or garage.. :( :(

dusty_bottoms

Postby dusty_bottoms » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:32 pm

ct1500 wrote:Or after fan removal start the engine and run up to operating temp per the gauge (1/2 way) and shut down. Remove the radiator cap and make sure cooling system is filled up prior to an under the radiator cap level.

The cooling system will now be pressurized with fans out and with light and inspection mirror will allow a good look-see of hoses.

Wow this sounds like a pretty good little trick, if only I understood it.

Are you saying disconnect the wires to the fans, run the engine until temp gauge is 1/2 way, shut off the engine, open and remove the radiator cap, and now the system is pressurized?

Seems to me that the coolant is going to leak out when the cap is removed and any pressurization will be lost and all over your arm.

I must be missing something.

dusty_bottoms

Postby dusty_bottoms » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:33 pm

ct1500 wrote:With one of these and can be found cheaper.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-7991

I have one of these pressure kits but the cap and radiator attachments are much too big. I need to find an adapter or something that will fit on the Goldwing radiator. Or I need to make one from a cap but I can't figure out how to do that either.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:29 pm

dusty_bottoms wrote:
ct1500 wrote:Or after fan removal start the engine and run up to operating temp per the gauge (1/2 way) and shut down. Remove the radiator cap and make sure cooling system is filled up prior to an under the radiator cap level.

Wow this sounds like a pretty good little trick, if only I understood it.

Are you saying disconnect the wires to the fans, run the engine until temp gauge is 1/2 way, shut off the engine, open and remove the radiator cap, and now the system is pressurized?

Seems to me that the coolant is going to leak out when the cap is removed and any pressurization will be lost and all over your arm.

I must be missing something.

You're right, makes no sense to me. The engine will heat the coolant up, you open the radiator cap, the hot pressurized coolant will spray out, and overflow onto the floor. This is DANGEROUS and certainly not the correct way to pressure test your system!

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:55 pm

I usually edit and that time did not come out right.

Remove radiator cap to ensure coolant is up to top before starting. There can be problems with reserve tank, hose and radiator cap when reserve tank is full but cooling system is low. :D
This is what I do

dlfierce

Postby dlfierce » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 pm

That was my understanding of your suggestion, make sure your coolant is full before starting and heating up the motor, it will then be pressurized and should show any leaks at that time.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”