turn signals, rear lights, cruise not working

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
a@r
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE pearl white

turn signals, rear lights, cruise not working

Postby a@r » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Turn signal indicators on dash glow, turn signal on trunk come on solid but not bright, cruise quit working, cb will transmit but not receive. all of this happened at the same time on a trip last weekend. we run in the rain for a day and a half if it matters. I am pretty sure I have a bad ground somewhere but I cannot find it. I searched the previous posts and 1 fellow found a bad horn ground and solved his problem. I have air horns on mine but don't remember trying them to see if they work or not, I will try tomorrow after work. The bike is a 1997 1500 se. Lights in saddlebags have been change like wingadmin fixed his also in the center between the bags but I uses the stock harness and grounds, nothing added or taken away. The only thing on aftermarket besides chrome is the wig wag thing for the brake lights, not sure if this can cause this problem or not. So far I have found every ground the service manual shows except the 1 next to the temp sending unit which is next to the t-stat and a pain to get to. I have taken a jumper from the battery neg to each and no change. Also just some added info key on in neutral lights are ok, key on and trans in gear all above happens. I have been told this problem was in the wing world mag about 2 or 3 years ago and had the fix but I do not have any of those. Thanks for any help anyone might have

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: turn signals, rear lights, cruise not working

Postby redial » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:18 am

I did a quick search on the GWRRA board and found two items. Let me know if they are of use/on the right track.

Jim Venne
View Profile
Venco Wings LLC
Email
Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Turn Signal Problem
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2013, 11:33:06 »

QuoteQuote

I have found that the ground wire (green) in the connector under the saddle that has the orange and blue with it to be burnt at the pins.

Followed by this one,

Jim is right on with this one. I had the same problem with my '05. An easy fix is to tap the green gnd wire at the rear connector going back toward rear lights and run it to a known good gnd source.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:38 am

a@r wrote:Turn signal indicators on dash glow, turn signal on trunk come on solid but not bright, cruise quit working, cb will transmit but not receive. all of this happened at the same time on a trip last weekend. we run in the rain for a day and a half if it matters. I am pretty sure I have a bad ground somewhere but I cannot find it. I searched the previous posts and 1 fellow found a bad horn ground and solved his problem. I have air horns on mine but don't remember trying them to see if they work or not, I will try tomorrow after work. The bike is a 1997 1500 se. Lights in saddlebags have been change like wingadmin fixed his also in the center between the bags but I uses the stock harness and grounds, nothing added or taken away. The only thing on aftermarket besides chrome is the wig wag thing for the brake lights, not sure if this can cause this problem or not. So far I have found every ground the service manual shows except the 1 next to the temp sending unit which is next to the t-stat and a pain to get to. I have taken a jumper from the battery neg to each and no change. Also just some added info key on in neutral lights are ok, key on and trans in gear all above happens. I have been told this problem was in the wing world mag about 2 or 3 years ago and had the fix but I do not have any of those. Thanks for any help anyone might have

Looking at the schematic, the ground you mention, the one on the radiator next to the thermostatic sending unit, is the one that is used by the turn signals, so it stands to reason it may be the one involved.

If you don't want to get to it, instead just intercept that ground, and run a separate ground wire from a known good ground (i.e. battery negative terminal) and tie it in. If that fixes it, you know you've found your problem.

a@r
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE pearl white

Postby a@r » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Well thanks to yall's help and guidance I found the problem. Under the seat in a black box on the left side is a 21 pin connector. The ground was not making a good connection and had started to burn the connector housing. I am not sure if this will solve all the problems but it sure fixed the bag lights. I attached some pictures so maybe anyone else that has this problem they will know what to look for. Thanks again guys for the help. Just a note the connector as shown was removed from the weather (proof) box. I think it is just to protect the wiring since it is not sealed just latched. Thanks again
Attachments
con 1
con 1
con 2
con 2
con 3
con 3

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”