HELP with GL1500 shifter seal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Greytful
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE
2008 GL1800PA

HELP with GL1500 shifter seal

Postby Greytful » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I've followed the excellent how-to article and am trying to replace the shifter seal on my wife's 1994 SE. I'm at the point where the outer shaft is unbolted; however, the shaft does not clear the inner splined shaft when I pull it back. It hits on the frame rail, and although I can rotate it left and right on the inner shaft, I can't get it to clear. Is there some sort of secret word that I have to know before it will clear? I've tried all of the @X#(&^(@*%^$@ words I know with no success! :evil:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: HELP with GL1500 shifter seal

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Unfortunately I don't have your bike here to play with...On my 88,it had just enough room to fall off.The admin took a little more effort and I've heard that if it just won't clear,loosening the sub frame bolts will allow it to be moved (pried) far enough to get it out....

As I recall,there's 2 bolts in the front,one lower bolt , one or two near the foot rest and the engine mount....Take your pick as to which ones may allow it to move just a little with a pry bar.....

Here's another reference...

Re: Shift Shaft Pivot

by WingAdmin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:39 pm
sugarbella wrote:
WingAdmin; yes the inner pinch bolt is a litter pain but then after the shift level will
not slide out between the shifter shaft and the frame you have to work it out some way

I wonder if it is different on some bikes, or some year bikes? I've heard other people who said they ended up using wood to lever the frame away from the engine block in order to get that thing out, others (Virgil) just maneuvered it out. I had no problem getting mine out at all, just pulled it off the end of the shaft, then pushed it so the thinner part was between the shaft and the frame, and it came right out. Took a couple of seconds. Same thing going back in.

It's pretty much off the end of the shaft here:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:29 pm

It's interesting that on what are supposed to the same bikes, some people have this problem and some don't. I don't think I did any kind of special maneuvering - it literally just came off the end and I was able to twist it free, and it went back on the same way. In fact I did it a couple times, on and off, to get pictures of it, and it took no more than a couple of seconds of maneuvering each time.

If something does need to be loosened, I would suspect loosening or removing the engine mount bolt right next to this shaft, then levering the frame out with some wood would be my first try.

Greytful
2008 GL1800PA

Postby Greytful » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks for the speedy response :D ! I'll try to work the subframe as recommended by virgilmobile.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Take pictures if possible and post them.We would like to know what you needed to do.

Greytful
2008 GL1800PA

Postby Greytful » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:37 pm

I got it back together before I could take any pics. However, I loosened the two frame bolts in the front near the radiator and the two frame bolts under the passenger floorboard (after removing the exhaust shield). I then removed the upper motor mount bolt and pried the entire assembly to obtain the necessary clearance. Prior to reassembly, I took off some of the metal at the top of dogleg shaft (where it was hitting the frame rail) and it slid in a whole lot easier than it came out!

Thanks again for the help. Next up is timing belts, sub-air filter, cruise filter,plugs, air filter (clean and reinstall), replacing some dash lights, and chasing down a gremlin in the CB. Good to have you folks handy as a great source of information.

Melloreel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 aspencade
2009 Streetglide

Postby Melloreel » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm having the same problem of not enough clearance to get shifter out! So I'm trying to find in the service manual the proper way to do seal change, but there is nothing listed? Only how to remove whole shaft from back of transmission!
The way I see it, and I have looked at it a lot is to remove header, and frame side to easily access seal and shifter? Problem is I had a hard time just getting mufflers off collecter box before, so I can only imagine trying to remove header without breaking collecter pipes? They are rusted bad!
Any thoughts?

Melloreel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 aspencade
2009 Streetglide

Postby Melloreel » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Greytful wrote:I got it back together before I could take any pics. However, I loosened the two frame bolts in the front near the radiator and the two frame bolts under the passenger floorboard (after removing the exhaust shield). I then removed the upper motor mount bolt and pried the entire assembly to obtain the necessary clearance. Prior to reassembly, I took off some of the metal at the top of dogleg shaft (where it was hitting the frame rail) and it slid in a whole lot easier than it came out!

Thanks again for the help. Next up is timing belts, sub-air filter, cruise filter,plugs, air filter (clean and reinstall), replacing some dash lights, and chasing down a gremlin in the CB. Good to have you folks handy as a great source of information.

I was going to do this the hard way :shock: but I took your advice, and you sir are dead on the money :D once I reread what you sent me I had the job done in under an hour. Only thing different I didn't have any wire strong enough, but I had a 6inch long wood screw that I ran between seal and shaft, screwed in and it pulled the seal right out ;)
Thanks from the coast :lol:

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:15 am

Mine also was blocked by the frame rail and I also loosened the bolts on either end and removed the motor mount bolt. It still took some serious leveraging with the biggest crowbar I could find just to get that lil sucker out! Then after taking Admin's advise on oiling the new seal, it still was a bear to get it in straight. Two thumbs up on the drywall screw trick. Now with the shifter pivot in place, that annoying leak is stopped for good. :D

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”