Show Chrome side bag lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Show Chrome side bag lights

Postby nitefuzz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:34 am

I have a set of show chrome side bag lights coming soon and was wondering if there are any special tips that anyone has for installing them, are they plug and play or do I have to splice them into the existing wiring somewhere. Is there a "How to" article in here somewhere?

Thanks, any info on this would be great.

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Re: Show Chrome side bag lights

Postby artgrantz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:07 am

Be sure to use some type of sheath on the wires and secure them in a way that they will not be pinched by the bag lids when closing the bags. The PO of my 1500 did a poor job with the wiring and they wore through and broke from getting caught by the bag lids.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:38 am

They are not Plug n Play.
You will have to splice into the bike's running light wire and ground wire on each side of the bike, located under the lower rear saddlebag covers. If using a 'wire tap' product, I would highly suggest using a couple of Posi-Taps, instead of the usual crimp ones
You'll have to drill a hole through the lower rear wall of each saddlebag to run the wires into the saddlebag compartment and then a hole in each saddlebag lid to run the wires into them for the lights.

Run the wires through some appropriately sized heat shrink tubing to cut down on the chance of chaffing and secure the wire with black electrical tape to the rear saddlebag hinge and inside wall of the saddlebag

The instructions that come with the set are fairly well written/detailed and easy to follow

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:They are not Plug n Play.
You will have to splice into the bike's running light wire and ground wire on each side of the bike, located under the lower rear saddlebag covers. If using a 'wire tap' product, I would highly suggest using a couple of Posi-Taps, instead of the usual crimp ones
You'll have to drill a hole through the lower rear wall of each saddlebag to run the wires into the saddlebag compartment and then a hole in each saddlebag lid to run the wires into them for the lights.

Run the wires through some appropriately sized heat shrink tubing to cut down on the chance of chaffing and secure the wire with black electrical tape to the rear saddlebag hinge and inside wall of the saddlebag

The instructions that come with the set are fairly well written/detailed and easy to follow

Those Posi-Taps are definitely better to those guaranteed-failure vampire clips that they all come with, but my preference is to just cut the existing wire, wrap in the third wire, solder, and cover with shrink-wrap. Guaranteed never to fail on a dark road 40 miles from nowhere in the rain.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”