Vibration during deceleration at highway speeds

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
larryb

Vibration during deceleration at highway speeds

Postby larryb » Tue May 04, 2010 6:19 pm

I have a 91 Aspencade and experience a very noticeable vibration during deceleration from highway speeds. I suspect that it is drive shaft or U-joint related. Is this a common trait for this bike and can it be corrected? The bike had 34000 miles on it when I purchased it last summer and I've put about 5000 miles on it since then. The Vibration has always been there since I bought it and it cause me concern. It has Elite 3 tires front and rear and has some noise and vibration from the tires, especially the rear. The rear shows cupping wear on outer edges of the tread and produces the most noise in leans and turns.
I also have discovered that the fork seals are leaking a little and they will need changing. How difficult is this job and are there some DIY instructions on this site for that job?
Thanks,
Larry B

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Vibration during deceleration at highway speeds

Postby dingdong » Wed May 05, 2010 9:29 am

At 34k miles I doubt that the drive shaft or u-joint are the problem. I developed a vibration on decel with my 1500 and I went first in that direction. Turned out to be a vibration from the right side muffler. The clamp was loose that held the muffler in place. I think I would look for something loose or some part rubbing against another causing the vibration.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

larryb

Re: Vibration during deceleration at highway speeds

Postby larryb » Wed May 05, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out soon!!
Larry

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”