Cooler Rack Box

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Nobby1
Motorcycle: 94 GL1500A
02 Shadow VT750ACE

Cooler Rack Box

Postby Nobby1 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:25 pm

OK, so I'm torn between pulling a trailer and adding additional storage capacity to my wing. I'm thinking of adding a box onto my cooler rack. Nothing too large, but enough to keep small things dry & away from prying eyes. I'm envisioning a small diamond plate toolbox (like on pickup trucks). My question, has anyone had any experience with this idea? If you have, what size, where did you get it, etc. If possible I would like to keep it from obstructing the tail lights but if not, I guess I could mount another of brake/running lights on the box itself.

Any ideas?

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Cooler Rack Box

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:56 am

Sorry can't help you with your question about the cooler rack box, but I do know you really have to watch what size you make it, as they will drag when entering/leaving a slanted drive etc if it projects too far out the rear and you have to keep overall weight there down so it doesn't affect the fore/aft weight bias and therefore handling

One thing about a trailer .... it gets all the additional weight off of the bike and on to another axle and your bike will thank you for it. ;)

I too was very reluctant to tug a trailer behind me, but after making/pulling one from a HF trail kit and a donated car top cargo carrier (<$250) I realized there are no downsides to it, as it pulls like a dream and does not affect handling as I can still scrape both pegs in the twisty stuff

Before: .....

After: ........

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:29 am

Instead of making a metal box, which would be heavy, you could use a cooler of appropriate size. Light and waterproof, you could add a lock if you feel the need.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:Sorry can't help you with your question about the cooler rack box, but I do know you really have to watch what size you make it, as they will drag when entering/leaving a slanted drive etc if it projects too far out the rear and you have to keep overall weight there down so it doesn't affect the fore/aft weight bias and therefore handling

One thing about a trailer .... it gets all the additional weight off of the bike and on to another axle and your bike will thank you for it. ;)

I too was very reluctant to tug a trailer behind me, but after making/pulling one from a HF trail kit and a donated car top cargo carrier (<$250) I realized there are no downsides to it, as it pulls like a dream and does not affect handling as I can still scrape both pegs in the twisty stuff

Before: .....

Wow...how did you keep from toppling over every time you leaned into a turn? Were those "just in case" tires, or "for when I wear out" tires, on a long trip?

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:35 am

WingAdmin wrote:Wow...how did you keep from toppling over every time you leaned into a turn? Were those "just in case" tires, or "for when I wear out" tires, on a long trip?

I had previously ordered those replacement tires earlier and had them shipped to one of my US shipping addresses. One the way home from a month + long tour, I stopped in and picked those tires up in Sault Ste Marie, MI.. so I only had 400 mi to go before I got home.

Certainly not the first time I've ridden the last miles to home from a US shipping address with a comparable load.

As far as handling goes,

..... not all that much different than unladen, as I have enough 'ballast' in the saddlebags to mitigate any ill handling effects when speeds were above a walking pace, or not stopped. It was also a test of Rudy's trunk reinforcement panels that we had installed the year before.

Not all that much difference in the usual loads my bike used to carry when I went on most of my tours, as I camp the entire time, including doing my own cooking, so the loads/weight on the bike are substantial.

Seeing as how my bike is racking up quite a few miles on her now from when I first bought her 6 years ago, I decided to give hear a break and went to hauling a trailer, to get all that weight off of her and built a cargo trailer from a HF trailer kit, ($142 with a 20% off coupon) a donated car top carrier, some LED lights and a few custom touches.

Dusty

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:32 am

Built my own hitch rack box of bamboo and cedar...Hold ALL my tenting and camping equipment.
The "carry tubes" on each passenger peg are 6" PVC pipe and web strapping to hold them on by the passenger grab handles..
Chairs and misc fit inside these...

Si9nce then I have purchased a UNIGO trailer - but have only uses it twice so far...

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”