Frozen/Stripped Differential Fill Plug

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Avalon97
Motorcycle: 1996 Aspencade

Frozen/Stripped Differential Fill Plug

Postby Avalon97 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Recently purchased a 1996 Aspencade with no verifiable maintenance records. Went to drain the rear differential and found the fill bolt to be stripped. This could be a good or bad sign as obviously someone either changed or attempted to change the oil prior to me. Tried heat and vice grips but just compounded the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get the plug out? I'm no mechanic, just someone willing try. Thanks.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Re: Frozen/Stripped Differential Fill Plug

Postby golden highway » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:59 pm

I assume you are talking about the fill cap about the size of a quarter. It only has a few threads and an oring. I never seen one that stuck. usually the threads on the cap break away from the cap. At worst you should be able to pop it out with a big screw driver. You can buy new ones on eBay for a few bucks so take a dermal and cut it if you have to.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Let us hope you are on the large fill plug and not something else.

Interesting problem. A plug that is stripped needs some outward force (while turning) to hopefully catch a semi decent thread to begin the back out process.

Large vise grips while turning and pulling straight outward would be first choice. Next choice would be to drill hole in center of hex and install a convenient tool to hook inside of plug. With various leverage devices pull hard out on tool and at same time turn plug counter clockwise with open end wrench.

Will be much easier with 2 pairs of hands. Proper flush and catch of any shavings observed of course.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:37 pm

I would be concerned about using heat. I know the plug oring would melt but what else in rear would be effected?

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:55 pm

This one....?!?

Hopefully you said YES...
Be careful about drilling or cutting this on off. The shavings and bits and pieces could go into your final drive and cause problems.
You would then need to do a really major flush out and even then I would be nervous...
Go to a BIX BOG or hardware store and find "GripTite" sockets.
They can be used on a breaker bar or long socket and may give you enough leverage to get that cap started...
Spray PB Blaster on the joint of the Plug cap and the final drive housing liberally
Breaking the cap is OKAY as they are cheap enough to buy...damaging a final drive will be costly

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:40 pm

A little confused now.

Are the threads stripped and plug just rotating or is the plug HEX stripped which will not allow a wrench on it. :?:

If the hex is stripped a couple light taps with a hammer and chisel on the outside shoulder in a loosening fashion of the plug will get it free. There is plenty of meat to bite into. :D
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:55 pm

I too am assuming that the hex nut in the middle is just rounded off. As stated use a cold chisel and just tap the very outer edge of the nut to rotate it in a counter clockwise direction. There is plenty of metal there and if you damage it, just move round a bit further and try again. You will need to buy a new one obviously but it should not be hard to get it out, I would NOT suggest using heat as there is a lot of oil around there that could catch fire and also that nut cannot be done up very tight as it really is made of pretty poor aluminum.

Gary

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:36 pm

The best way is an air chisel. Lightly chisel the outer rim of the plug while attempting to loosen with special sockets to grip stripped area. Works on transmissions just about every time. We get lots of experience with stuck fasteners here in the North east.

Avalon97
Motorcycle: 1996 Aspencade

Postby Avalon97 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!! This website is great. The hex head is indeed rounded not stripped, I wasn't clear on the problem in my post, but I am confident now, that I will be able to get it out. As I am working in an unheated garage in the middle of winter, I will be taking my time and making sure I do it right.
Thanks again!!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:54 am

Mine was super tight when I went to service it recently. Someone gave it a big pull when they tightened it. Torqueing it to spec only took a light pressure.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”