thermo fan switch

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Ben HB Tan
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

thermo fan switch

Postby Ben HB Tan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:15 am

Wingers,
I am a newbie to your superb forum. Also a new owner of a1995 Goldwing GL1500 SE in Singapore. Weather here is hot and daily in excess of 33 degrees Celsius. My GW thus run hot into it 3/4 mark on the guage especially on slow traffic. Considering replacing OEM fan switch with one of a lower operating temperature around 80 to 90 degrees C to turn fans on earlier. Anyone can advice operatingvtemperature of OEM fan switch? Offer any valued advice on what I propose to do? I can only offer one tip to make your bikes run smoother, i.e. add half a bottle of "REDEX" petrol additive to every tankful of petrol over 3 tank fills before reverting to specified dosages. It work for me and my mates in Singapore.
Ben.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: thermo fan switch

Postby ct1500 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:03 am

Welcome,

You may think 3/4 is hot but in reality is normal and the way the bike was designed with many proven millions of miles on the product line with no ill effects.

What you propose has a trade off in running fans almost constantly would be the electrical draw down of battery with OEM alternator.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:11 am

Normally, the fans only come on when it is hot. That is a given. However, when they come on, they should blow the air forward, and if you are moving, that would be counter-productive with the air coming from the movement of the GW, and the fans blowing the air forward, they would tend to cancel themselves, and you would have less cooling effect than you have now.

Throwing an idea in, have you thought of a computer fan/s mounted in front of the cooling. They run from 12v so if you are desperate, you could mount one or more of these. They are cheap enough, as long as you dont purchase them from a Honda Stealer. :lol:

Just brainstorming here, I dont know if it works or not.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:38 am

redial wrote:Normally, the fans only come on when it is hot. That is a given. However, when they come on, they should blow the air forward, and if you are moving, that would be counter-productive with the air coming from the movement of the GW, and the fans blowing the air forward, they would tend to cancel themselves, and you would have less cooling effect than you have now.

When mine have come on the air flow has always been out the sides of the fairing. Why should they push the air forward?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Ben HB Tan
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Postby Ben HB Tan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Should clarify that temperature at 3/4 mark is fine with me if it stays in that range but it climbs fast almost into the red zone if I don't get the bike rolling thereon. That is worry some. The other suggestion from forum is to install a manual switch to operate the fans manually which is my hobson's choice fallback I guess. Can't decide what's best.

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:46 pm

You are in an ambient of 91 degrees F and the engine temp gauge with fans running should not peg the needle into the red.

You have an underlying problem that needs further investigation, i.e. coolant condition/level, gauge, incorrect RPM, thermostat, system obstruction, engine lean, head gasket, etc.
This is what I do

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:00 am

Ben HB Tan wrote:The other suggestion from forum is to install a manual switch to operate the fans manually which is my hobson's choice fallback I guess. Can't decide what's best.

How is installing a switch going to do anything when fans are already running as the gauge is in the red?

Fans should kick on when gauge is 2/3--3/4. Gauge should read steady at about 1/4 while underway which is the thermostat opening temp.
This is what I do

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:17 am

Fiberthree wrote:
redial wrote:Normally, the fans only come on when it is hot. That is a given. However, when they come on, they should blow the air forward, and if you are moving, that would be counter-productive with the air coming from the movement of the GW, and the fans blowing the air forward, they would tend to cancel themselves, and you would have less cooling effect than you have now.

When mine have come on the air flow has always been out the sides of the fairing. Why should they push the air forward?

The 1800 pushes the air forward, not the 1500. I guess Fiberthree didn't realize that or thought this was re an 1800. When the 1800 is moving above 20 mph there is sufficient airflow without the fans. When they come on they blow forward to keep the heat off of the rider. It works well in my experience but you need to watch the temp when crawling along in heavy traffic.

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:20 am

artgrantz wrote:
Fiberthree wrote:

The 1800 pushes the air forward, not the 1500. I guess Fiberthree didn't realize that or thought this was re an 1800. When the 1800 is moving above 20 mph there is sufficient airflow without the fans. When they come on they blow forward to keep the heat off of the rider. It works well in my experience but you need to watch the temp when crawling along in heavy traffic.

--> artgrantz...No I didn't. This thread is in the 1500 tab, the OP has listed his ride as a 1500 under his photo, I own and ride a 1500, and as I stated, mine does not push the air forward. I think you might have attributed redial's statment to the wrong person. But thank you for pointing out the difference between the 1500 and 1800 cooling fans air flow.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:29 am

You are correct Fiberthree, it was redials quote I was replying to. The quote within a quote threw me off.
Have a great Christmas.

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:26 pm

artgrantz wrote:Have a great Christmas.

Thank you and Holiday cheers to you!
I was serious about the 1800's air flow. I knew the radiators faced a different direction than the 1500, but was unaware of their opposite air movement. Still seems kinda strange.

Ed

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”