Headlights are inoperative


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
icedad
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:15 am
Location: Ashburn, Georgia
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing Aspencade AW2 Trike

Headlights are inoperative

Postby icedad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 pm



Both of my headlights and my bright light dash indicator are inoperative. i have checked the 15 amp fuse and both the high and lo headlight relays. every thing is fine. Are there any more fuses to check? Any help would be greatly appreciated.



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Headlights are inoperative

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:16 pm

icedad wrote:Both of my headlights and my bright light dash indicator are inoperative. i have checked the 15 amp fuse and both the high and lo headlight relays. every thing is fine. Are there any more fuses to check? Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Give your start button a jiggle. It cuts the headlights out when you press it, and if it gets dirty or stuck, it can leave the headlights turned off.

User avatar
Dusty Boots
Posts: 573
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: Alvinston, SW ON
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Headlights are inoperative

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:36 am

WingAdmin wrote:
icedad wrote:Both of my headlights and my bright light dash indicator are inoperative. i have checked the 15 amp fuse and both the high and lo headlight relays. every thing is fine. Are there any more fuses to check? Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Give your start button a jiggle. It cuts the headlights out when you press it, and if it gets dirty or stuck, it can leave the headlights turned off.




2nd that. Give the start button a shot of cleaner/lube and work it in and out. Repeat as needed.

User avatar
icedad
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:15 am
Location: Ashburn, Georgia
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing Aspencade AW2 Trike

Re: Headlights are inoperative

Postby icedad » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:02 am

Well, talk about feeling stupid. That I is. I cleaned all of these switches back in the springtime and really didn't even think that was the problem again. Bust my britches, just cleaning that switch with some electronics cleaner did the trick.
Thank-you gentlemen for the tip and the helpful reminder that these older bikes need maybe a little more TLC.

furnacedoc
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: wakarusa,in
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

Re: Headlights are inoperative

Postby furnacedoc » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:55 pm

how do you access the switch ,I have pulled the cluster apart but the case is enclosed, I have tried spraying into it but not getting very good results, tried wd-40 and qrc contact cleaner?

User avatar
redial
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:17 am
Location: Kapunda, SouthAustralia
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Headlights are inoperative

Postby redial » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:55 am

Dont use WaterDisplacer40 (WD40) on your switches as you are not trying to displace water, but clean the switch. By spraying WD40 into the switch, you are leaving a film of oil. The film of oil will collect dust and dirt and give you more heartaches in the future.

Use an electrical contact cleaner in a spray can - the ones that you get at a RadioShack or similar.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

User avatar
artgrantz
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Manchester, PA
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000
Contact:

Re: Headlights are inoperative

Postby artgrantz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:32 am

furnacedoc wrote:how do you access the switch ,I have pulled the cluster apart but the case is enclosed, I have tried spraying into it but not getting very good results, tried wd-40 and qrc contact cleaner?


Most of the switches on motorcycles have a drain hole on the bottom to allow any water that seeps in to drain out. These holes are usually the perfect size to admit the straw/wand from a can of spray cleaner. If you can access the drain hole you can spray the cleaner in there, no need to take the switch apart.

User avatar
landisr
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: Headlights are inoperative

Postby landisr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:09 pm

To bring up the obvious, be sure whatever cleaner you use is plastic-safe. Don't ask how I know.. :oops:


Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.


Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media [Bot], RBGERSON and 6 guests