In need of major help air ride system

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bajaboy169
Motorcycle: 2002 hayabusa1300R

In need of major help air ride system

Postby bajaboy169 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:26 pm

I have the entire set up for the GL1500 air ride system switches, wire harness, tank, compressor, selinoid, shocks, ect. I am in need of a diagram for the wiring of it and what goes where. This is going to be installed on a custom job I am doing for myself and would be most appreciative to all that take the time to read this and those of you who can help.
Thank you in advance John G.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Re: In need of major help air ride system

Postby Sempai » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:55 am

I'm curious about what your custom job is?? Are you aware that the 1500's factory shocks are different from one side to the other...only one is plumbed to the compressor and the other isn't an air shock at all.
I'm left wondering if they still suit your needs or if you need to consider, or possibly you already have, aftermarket shocks which are BOTH air shocks. And if that's the case, depending on the workload you're thinking about, you could use any number of air shocks, even car/truck shocks, or perhaps air bags as well or in lieu of the shocks?
Keep the rubber side down.

bajaboy169
Motorcycle: 2002 hayabusa1300R

Postby bajaboy169 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:57 am

Yes I know only one is air driven. I am trying to find out the weight load the air shock can handle and a schematic to wire it up to a hayabusa 1300r suspension, to make it adjustable for the Height. I am on such a tight budget like $20.00 to complete it that I need all the free information I can get. My Fiance bought me the entire setup off ebay for Christmas for $60 and it is in garenteed working condition. So now I need to make it work with my Suzuki. That is the Custom part. For me to buy an Air ride system that is made for it Costs $1200.00 plus install. That would take me 2 years to save up enough to buy it.

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:25 pm

The GL1500 rear shock system you've acquired ought to suit your application just fine. Several of the members of this forum, myself included have the service manuals in PDF format...one of us could email the info you seek. I'm not sure if I'm smart enough to figure out HOW to do it, but I'm willing to make the attempt. PM me your email address. Worse comes to worse, I can make you a DVD ROM containing ALL the service manuals from '75 to '06 and snail mail it to you....
If you promise not to tell anyone!

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 pm

When you get the required reading be advised to take note of the LCD in operation of the system.

IIRC without looking myself right now it plays a role in operation.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:05 pm

ct1500 wrote:When you get the required reading be advised to take note of the LCD in operation of the system.

IIRC without looking myself right now it plays a role in operation.

While this is true, I suspect you'll be able to eliminate the LCD portion entirely while you set it up to work on some kinda frame mounted momentary action switch. Shouldn't be to difficult to mock it up and try this or that til you figure out what need done.

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55 pm

OK

Switch to operate pump/drier (shown left side) and switch to release air from manifold which also holds pressure gauge for conversion to read out. Pressure gauge portion of manifold is the middle stack and can be unused, air release valve is furthest back. 2nd pic shown is with the 2 air shock Progressives. The first valve forward is the air supply to shock and is closed when using compressor aux. tire fill hose portion of the system. So the switch to operate the compressor must also open 1st supply valve. Right side of 2nd pic goes to shock, left to compressor.
Attachments
This is what I do

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Green wires all go direct to ground, voltage applied on other wires will operate pump and open valves, should be normally closed. Make sure the smaller aux fill hose is properly capped off otherwise you will lose pump pressure with it open and compressor running. Fuse it all at 10A. Instead of digital LCD readout you might be able to plum a mechanical gauge into readout port.
Attachments

This is what I do

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”