Strange question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Strange question

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Okay, i have a unusual question for everyone, how hard is it to remove the trunk , like for maintenance for example ? Or would it be easier to just swap out the LID ?

Now that I have you guessing. . . Lol. . . I want to modify a full trunk, or atleast a lid, so we can take the wifes little doggy with us at times on the bike. Would not be a every day thing, just every once in awhile. Like when we do a weekender to my brothers house south of Dallas ( about 600 mile round trip ) . I am thinking I would add a bubble window in the lid so she can look around with out rocks or bugs hitting her, and some kind of vents to take in and vent out air. . . Maybe like the old Vetter windshield vents ? I could add them to the box sides, or to the lid only if I went that route. . . Any other ideas ?

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Uncle Fester

Re: Strange question

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:34 pm

Just for clairity, it would be the bubble window in the lids, vents in lid or on box. . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:39 pm

The top comes off very easily, I have a spare, if I was hauling a pet I would consider modding it so animal gets fresh air, can stick head out the side of if needed, will stay dry if caught in rain. Needs to have side panels so pet won't get sick, keep them in the dark on a bike and I would imagine they would puke all over the place, needs a fair amount of padding and maybe a pocket made into a piece of foam so they can curl up and feel safe and not be tossed around.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

Richman2000
Motorcycle: 94 GL1500SE

Postby Richman2000 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Take a look at the T-Bag pet carrier. You can attach it to the top of the trunk, and have a nice safe place for the pooch. Also get him some "Doggles".

Rich

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:57 pm

Thought about the TBag dog carrier, just prefer the idea of using the trunk. . . Sounds like removal of the trunk is not easy ?

Richman2000

Postby Richman2000 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 am

To remove the lid, I think there are a total of 6 bolts on the hinges. If you have a brake light spoiler, there are a couple wires also. I wouldn't remove the whole trunk, there are too many items attached to it. Here is a link for clear plastic domes. http://plastic-domes-spheres.com/plastic-domes/

Ride Safe,
Rich

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Nice link, THANK YOU !

I was worried there would be too much attached to make removing the whole trunk easy, but I was hoping. . . I guess I will go with the first idea of a changable lid with vents and the dome, or look into a dog carrier trailer like a WAGS .

Richman2000

Postby Richman2000 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:01 pm

How big is your dog that will be traveling with you?

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:31 pm

shih tzu or how ever it is spelled, basically not much bigger than a chihuahua. . .

Richman2000

Postby Richman2000 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:46 pm

I have 3 small "House Rats" myself, and a 70Lbs RottenLab. I've looked into having 1 traveling with us. The advantage to the T-Bag, is that if you stay somewhere for the night, the dog can sleep in the T-Bag. If you pad your trunk, you can use foam squares at Harbor Freight. they hold together well, and you can form them into a box that your dog will be comfortable in. For ventilation, take a look at an RV supply store. They have small round vents that you can open and close.

Ride Safe,
Rich

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:19 pm

We are just opposite, we have the house rat ( Annie ), my Black Lab ( Angel ), the Boxer mix ( Missy ), and my baby, the Rotty ( Little Bear ). For some reason I do not think they would all fit on the bike or trailer, so we will stick with taking Annie, or again, maybe get a WAGS and take Annie & Little Bear. . . .

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:22 am

Removing the trunk isn't a good idea. The wife would no longer have a back rest. Modifying a second lid looks like the easiest solution.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Actually, the thought was to have TWO trunks, one in stock configuration ( more or less ), and a second one modified into a doggy house, windows, vents, inside padding, ect. . .

But my reasearch here and on the web leads me to believe that would be a pain to do due to wires for lights, speakers, cables for trunk and saddle bag locks, all that fun stuff. . .

Nothing like the trunk on my old Venture Royale years ago, no lights or speakers, no cables on it ( the trunk ) or anything else like that. That one would have been a fairly easy mod. . . .oh well.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”