How to identify the key code number for ignition key??

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

How to identify the key code number for ignition key??

Postby liquineer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 am

Hi All,
Today I had a panic- my bike keys were not in my pocket, as they usually are. I searched high and low for them and they are missing.
I thought, OK I have a spare set. No sign of them, the set normally lives within the documentation for the bike in a folder, but they were not there.
Looked and looked- eventually found the spare set in a tin we normally use to store spare house keys. Now I suspect my Other Half, seeing them out at some time thought she would file them in a logical place for me, logical for her, but not for me in this case.

It lead me to wonder, how would I order a spare set of keys for the bike, and where I would find the information to identify what the code number of the key was on the bike or in the paperwork.
I would point out that the spare ones are a copy of the originals, so I would not want to make a copy of the copy, as innaccuracies can creep in.

Anyone know the answer?

Mine is a GL1500 1988, California model imported in to the UK, which is how I have it.

Of course I'm assuming the keys are the original ones that came with the bike, but I have no way of knowing if they were ever changed.

Are we having fun yet?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How to identify the key code number for ignition key??

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:15 pm

The code is stamped on the inner face of the ignition lock, i.e. where it clamps to the frame. You have to remove the ignition to get to the code.

Instead of taking off the ignition however, pop off the right side glove box cover or pop open the gas tank door. There will be a code on the base of either of those locks that a locksmith can make a key from. Some of the locks you have to actually remove to see the code.

If you're going to a Honda dealer, all you need is the last 3 characters off those stamped numbers. The first will be an A,B,C, or D and then two digits. The Honda dealer can punch out a new key from just those last 3 characters.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Great, thanks for that- stupidly I had not thought about the other locks, but at the time I thought both sets of keys had gone and that I might have to do an emergency replacement.

Martin
Are we having fun yet?

carpet
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby carpet » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Gee, thanks for the info. I would not have known where to look either.
Glenn

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:08 pm

That is what you do went you don't have the key.

But if you still have your key, the number is stamped on it.

I learned you could get new keys from Honda (for cars), and now every time I buy a new to me vehicle, I get a brand new key cut from the registration or key code, so I don't make copies of used keys, that won't work in the locks. Then I put away the New key, for any future copies. Used to only cost about $10.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22 am

OK- found my key number, it was a D-- code.
Asked three UK Goldwing suppliers if they can quote on it for replacements. Unfortunately the guy who supplies keys in California, is not available until 2nd February as his mother is ill.

Are we having fun yet?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”