power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
nitefuzz
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Wakarusa, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500

Postby nitefuzz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:16 pm



Can anyone tell me if there is a plug and go power connector under the right front pocket on my 1998 GL 1500 that I can just plug into a power port that I can install in the pocket. I know there is under the left front pocket, but without pulling the right pocket and looking I thought I would ask on here. I purchased the Powerlet Honda GL1500 1998 - 2000 Left Front Glove Box Power Socket Kit for the left one and am now thinking I would like to have one in the right pocket also if there is a plug and go connector all ready there.



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:59 am

nitefuzz wrote:Can anyone tell me if there is a plug and go power connector under the right front pocket on my 1998 GL 1500 that I can just plug into a power port that I can install in the pocket. I know there is under the left front pocket, but without pulling the right pocket and looking I thought I would ask on here. I purchased the Powerlet Honda GL1500 1998 - 2000 Left Front Glove Box Power Socket Kit for the left one and am now thinking I would like to have one in the right pocket also if there is a plug and go connector all ready there.


There's no ready-to-plug-into unused port there, but it is relatively easy to tap into a 12 volt source there - depending on what you want to power with it.

User avatar
nitefuzz
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Wakarusa, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Re: power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500

Postby nitefuzz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:01 pm

Ok, thanks WingAdmin, guess there is no reason to purchase another expensive one like I did for the Left pocket. I can just get a cheap one from the local auto parts store.

While I was installing the Input device cable for the intercom (GPS), left pocket, I noticed there was another unused single wire with a connector at its end available in that same area, I am assuming that's for the power port to be added when desired. This is where I am expecting to plug the expensive power port in for the left pocket when I can get to it,............. hoping that wire runs off of the ACC for its power and not always on.

Most likely will be using it for Cell-Phone, I-Pod, GPS....for power or charging.

Thanks Again

User avatar
gordonv
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: Richmond BC
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Re: power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500

Postby gordonv » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:57 pm

I got this from Princess Auto (Harbor Freight) for $5.



Posted here, and got replies back. Outcome, was to wire direct to battery. Almost anything I plug into it will have a low power draw, and would/should never stay on the bike longer than me (GPS, cell, ipod, etc..), so no reason for ACC power on/off.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 am

gordonv wrote:I got this from Princess Auto (Harbor Freight) for $5.

USBoutlet_zpse4128eaa.jpg


Posted here, and got replies back. Outcome, was to wire direct to battery. Almost anything I plug into it will have a low power draw, and would/should never stay on the bike longer than me (GPS, cell, ipod, etc..), so no reason for ACC power on/off.


Wiring that thing direct to battery is OK, with two caveats:

1. Make sure it's fused! As close to the battery as possible
2. It has a 12v to 5v converter (probably a DC-DC converter, could be a switched regulator) inside it, to drop your bikes ~12 volts down to the 5 volts required of a USB port. Because of this, it will ALWAYS draw a little bit of power, even when nothing is plugged into it. If you're in the habit of leaving your bike for extended periods of time, you might want to look into a Battery Tender type charger to keep your battery from dying.

drebudrebu
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 am
Location: corsica, pa
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade sold
1987 Yamaha Virago 700 sold

1997 GL1500A

Re: power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500

Postby drebudrebu » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:43 am

I bought a fuse block that can be wired for some of the fuses to be hot all the time and/or on with the key on. I also bought a cheap power socket from an auto parts store and wired it up to the pocket.

User avatar
silverado6x6
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 am
Location: Wasilla, Alaska and Adelaide,South Australia
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Re: power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500

Postby silverado6x6 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:56 am

Here is my plan, Installing a small AGM battery, probably one made for a small ATV or bike so its light, it goes in the RH saddlebag, its wired to the main battery through a standard Bosch type relay so its only connected when the ignition is on. That battery is what will power my volt hungry devices like my tablet, cellphone, Kindle etc. When bike is not running that battery will have way far enough capacity to charge most devices without draining the main battery, plus it can power other things like a trunk lights, an outlet for a compressor say for air mattresses or a mini tire compressor so it takes the strain off the bikes compressor.

Since I have worked on many an RV I can easily wire in a battery isolation circuit in miniature, even to go so far as to use some small solar panels to charge that reserve battery. Idea is to keep it simple, keep it light, keep it clean. Its also a backup in case you lose an alternator, gives you some more time to get bike home. plus its handy to have should you need to install an extra stereo amp.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations
Image

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:16 pm

silverado6x6 wrote:Here is my plan, Installing a small AGM battery, probably one made for a small ATV or bike so its light, it goes in the RH saddlebag, its wired to the main battery through a standard Bosch type relay so its only connected when the ignition is on. That battery is what will power my volt hungry devices like my tablet, cellphone, Kindle etc. When bike is not running that battery will have way far enough capacity to charge most devices without draining the main battery, plus it can power other things like a trunk lights, an outlet for a compressor say for air mattresses or a mini tire compressor so it takes the strain off the bikes compressor.

Since I have worked on many an RV I can easily wire in a battery isolation circuit in miniature, even to go so far as to use some small solar panels to charge that reserve battery. Idea is to keep it simple, keep it light, keep it clean. Its also a backup in case you lose an alternator, gives you some more time to get bike home. plus its handy to have should you need to install an extra stereo amp.


I can't think of any problem with your idea. I did the same exact thing for the battery in my trailer. When the trailer is plugged into the bike and the bike is running, the bike also charges the small battery in the trailer. When the bike is off, a relay opens, so the trailer battery is isolated. That battery in the trailer then powers lights & cell phone chargers during the night.

User avatar
nitefuzz
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Wakarusa, Indiana
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Re: power port questopn for my 1998 GL 1500

Postby nitefuzz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Great information and good ideas for me to decide on how and what I want to do. Thanks, see you all on the road.

The daylight is getting longer but the sun just needs to do its job and make it warmer.

Nitefuzz




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests