Cassette Adapter

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bitterclinger00
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Cassette Adapter

Postby bitterclinger00 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:40 am

My FM stations quit playing along with my Fm modulator. I've been trying to trace the wires leading from the radio antenna but can't seem to locate the problem. I will eventually get around to trying another antenna. I've purchased a $5 adapter from Walgreens and I'm really impressed with the sound. Is there a way to close the cassette player door without pinching the wire? I don't want to ride around with the door open or have to leave the adapter hanging somewhere. Thanks.. :?:

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: Cassette Adapter

Postby baumedagn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:21 am

I'm not sure about the cassette door, but I think you're on the right track with the antenna. First, make sure you have power to your modulator. If that's good, I would check all of the antenna connections. You'll have to remove the seat and the two castle nuts holding the center shelter assembly with the radio attached. Don't forget the two levers on either side near the gas cap. You don't want to break those. I've been able to lift that section up enough to check all of the connections. If you're confident all the connections are good, I would remove the PM modulator from the system and see if that takes care of the problem.

bitterclinger00

Postby bitterclinger00 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:51 am

Thanks for the reply baumedagn..the modulator I use is battery operated along with a small mp3 player. I just lay them in one of the pockets, front or rear and pick one of several FM stations. Not only does the radio not receive FM reception, the modulator will not play through it any longer. I receive AM staions fine....Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:02 am

bitterclinger00 wrote:Thanks for the reply baumedagn..the modulator I use is battery operated along with a small mp3 player. I just lay them in one of the pockets, front or rear and pick one of several FM stations. Not only does the radio not receive FM reception, the modulator will not play through it any longer. I receive AM staions fine....Thanks

If the AM stations are just as strong as they were before, chances are it is not the antenna - it is the radio.

If you want to drop a couple hundred dollars, you could send the radio to Sierra Electronics. Not only will they fix whatever the FM issue is, they will install an auxiliary input, so you can plug it directly into your MP3 player and ditch the adapters and modulators. The sound will be far superior as well.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:25 am

I used to close the cass. door on my adapter wire all the time.It won't jamb up the door if you're careful where you put it.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

bitterclinger00

Postby bitterclinger00 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks WingAdmin...May just do the aux mod myself if another antenna doesn't solve the problem.. :idea:

bitterclinger00

Postby bitterclinger00 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks to Fatwing Chris, I persevered...the door will close...Thanks

bitterclinger00

Postby bitterclinger00 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:55 am

my luck
my luck
Wingadmin, I think you're right. I've tried my radio since using the cassette adapter and the fm stations are coming in fine now.[go figure]..How long it will last remains to be seen. :roll:

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:24 am

I had the Aux modification done to mine by Sierra a couple of years ago after using the cassette adaptor for years and many miles...

I wish I had done it sooner...the sound is better, and much more dependable. Occasionally the cassette wouldn't work just right - if it wasn't seated properly in the deck...no such problem with the aux in - reliable clear music from my MP3s all day long.... :mrgreen:

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”