Rubber heat cover over engine

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rmet
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda goldwing 1500se/trike (champion kit)

Rubber heat cover over engine

Postby rmet » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 pm

I currently have the bike tore down to replace all the hoses. This includes removing the radiators, fans, vent tubes, plastic, etc.. Here is the question - can I get away with leaving the heat flap (rubber) off after taking off the carbs. or do I have to reinstall it.
Roy

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rubber heat cover over engine

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:42 pm

rmet wrote:I currently have the bike tore down to replace all the hoses. This includes removing the radiators, fans, vent tubes, plastic, etc.. Here is the question - can I get away with leaving the heat flap (rubber) off after taking off the carbs. or do I have to reinstall it.
Roy

I'm sure that rubber mat is just an extra piece that Honda decided to throw in there for no reason at all. :)

It is a heat barrier for protection for all the ignition wires, fuel and water lines as the intake manifold gets extremely hot.

rmet

Postby rmet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Not quite the format I expected from wingadmin. - but the point is understood.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:57 pm

:lol: Bwahahahahahaha :lol:
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

rmet

Postby rmet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 am

Ok - guess that was considered a SILLY question , met with sarcasim . Thought this was a site for technical question & answers not nasty reply's. Won't make the mistake of asking any questions in the future. Have a wonderful day bless your hearts.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:44 am

rmet wrote:Ok - guess that was considered a SILLY question , met with sarcasim . Thought this was a site for technical question & answers not nasty reply's. Won't make the mistake of asking any questions in the future. Have a wonderful day bless your hearts.

No offense meant, which is why I had the little smiley face!

I did answer your question technically, giving you the exact reason it is there. You can run without it, but expect items such as wires and hoses to not last nearly as long, as they will be exposed to a lot of heat. Heat makes rubber and wiring insulation hard and brittle.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:02 am

There was no insult intended by either us. We are all friends here and as a result we like to tease each other a bit.
Why would you want to not reinstall any stock part of your engine that you removed to access another part? Would you choose not to reinstall the air filter? I didnt think so.
Stick around there is a wealth of info here and we do like to share it. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

rmet

Postby rmet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 pm

I want to thank both of you for your replies and to apologize too you both. I have very thin skin and no sense of humor, ( a joke starts with knock-knock ) at least to me.
As to the original question , I have no formal training in thermal dynamics so there are ( 2 ) thought's on this - one is that the rubber is to add (keep) heat in the lower plenum area , second is to keep heat from riseing to the upper area. I have been reading a lot about the 1000,1100,1200 single carb.conversions having problems with iceing - thus the question on the rubber.. As far as my training - A & P Mechanic = Single engine land Pilot = asso. in aeronautical engineering = journeyman millwright = code sheet welder = many years of cnc repair to component level = currently ride vehicle rebuild Universal Studios Florida.

Thank you for your answer to this question,
Roy

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:08 pm

rmet wrote:I want to thank both of you for your replies and to apologize too you both. I have very thin skin and no sense of humor, ( a joke starts with knock-knock ) at least to me.
As to the original question , I have no formal training in thermal dynamics so there are ( 2 ) thought's on this - one is that the rubber is to add (keep) heat in the lower plenum area , second is to keep heat from riseing to the upper area. I have been reading a lot about the 1000,1100,1200 single carb.conversions having problems with iceing - thus the question on the rubber.. As far as my training - A & P Mechanic = Single engine land Pilot = asso. in aeronautical engineering = journeyman millwright = code sheet welder = many years of cnc repair to component level = currently ride vehicle rebuild Universal Studios Florida.

Thank you for your answer to this question,
Roy

The GL1500 has no problems with carb icing, as it plumbs engine coolant up into the carb (well, not into the carb, but through the carb body). That way it can get away without having to blow hot air into the carb to prevent icing. Unlike an O-360. :) Because the carb is already heated from the coolant, the rubber sheet is to prevent heat damage to the hoses and wiring above.

For whatever reason, it seems that quite a few Goldwing owners are also pilots (myself included - commercial, multi, IFR) and AME/A&P's. You'll find lots of friendly people here willing to help.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 am

My thoughts for the rubber mat usage are echoed the same to keep heat from rising. As we know the cooling system is borderline when challenged on hot days, any interference between radiator and fan operation above engine for removal of heat however small would compound the problem. The less the fans run the better everything is battery included with OEM alternator.

Second item would be for fuel line vapor lock which is a real problem of carb equipped engines, the low 2 psi pump of the 15 more so. This can be evidenced with fuel line choice, thin walled from pump to filter then it goes to a very thick walled hose after filter the rest of the way to the carbs. This area happens to be right over the mat. Further evidence is that the carb heated coolant riser is thermostatically controlled shutting off carb spacer heat before engine reaches operating temperature. The engineers here are clearly heading off a vapor lock scenario. With the enclosed design there is zero natural air movement under the shelter which can be correlated to underhood temps of automobiles.

Keeping heat in close would also aid in quickening engine warm up times equaling better MPG, lower emissions and better cold driveability as a side note.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Melloreel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 aspencade
2009 Streetglide

Postby Melloreel » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Wow!! All that from a piece of rubber :lol: I guess I am the BAGGER PILOT after all :D

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:04 pm

Add another A&P to the list. Also a pilot, and welder as well. Now I get to pilot and wrench on my own "Wing".
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

mightymousesr
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800/Lehman Trike

Postby mightymousesr » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:45 am

Just an observation. WingAdmin answers a Question with a small joke the the reason Honda really put the insulator there... rmet gets all twisted out of shape. So WingAdmin has to backup and apologize because someone is a THINSKIN, on every forum for every bike/vehicle I've ever/still have we all kid around. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to never see rmet post again. OH bye the way, rmet if you have all that TRAINING... Why such a stupid question? Just an observation I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Those that say "Old means SLOW" have NEVER ridden a V65 Magna!

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:12 am

It wouldn't seem like much protection from heat really..but those pieces of rubber can do a lot..
When I did the shifter pivot modification last year I ruined the piece of rubber that sits on the heat shield.
I didn't think much of it, and thought the heat would not be a problem - so I rode with out it for a while.
That's how I noticed the IMMENSE amount of heat now being directed onto my left foot...
I ordered and installed the rubber insulator ASAP and my hot foot was now comfortable again.
Honda had that figured out pretty well....

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:[b]It wouldn't seem like much protection from heat really..but those pieces of rubber can do a lot..
That's how I noticed the IMMENSE amount of heat now being directed onto my left foot...
I ordered and installed the rubber insulator ASAP and my hot foot was now comfortable again.
Honda had that figured out pretty well....

In the years just before fuel injection was introduced the carburetor fuel lines were very susceptible to vapor lock and was the subject of many technical service bulletins and retrofit campaigns from the manufacturers due to the immense heat generated by the lean running emission requirements. Cooling system overheating was another albeit less.

The Engineers that design these things just don't decide to add items to jack up the price, there is a reason for everything. :) Heat or underhood/enclosed space temps are a killer for many systems of a vehicle. All the heat kept under the mat would normally have traveled straight up unabated.

The Honda ST1100 has a dedicated one inch flexible plastic hose that begins at an opening in front of fairing and terminates pointing directly at the vacuum operated petcock to help keep it and thus the fuel cool. Almost all who see this would rightly not know the reason why because it was not their business to know these things.

I was fortunate to work at times with some hands-on old school big 3 auto Engineers. :D

This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”