Aftermarket LED accent brake/turn combos

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
02jmpr
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Aftermarket LED accent brake/turn combos

Postby 02jmpr » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:28 pm

I've seen many online retailers selling LED accent lighting as cluster or strip brake/turn/running combos. Some flash and others are sequential etc etc... .

Where I'm confused is that their instructions only state to wire up these combos to the existing circuits and your ready to rock. Everything I've read here states that if you want to use LEDs as turn signals or brake/running lights you need load compensators or new flasher units or inline resistors. Are the retailers trying to make an easy buck off the ignorant like me, or is there something specific to Goldwings that requires the extra compensators/flashers/resistors/diodes etc.? :?

02jmpr

Re: Aftermarket LED accent brake/turn combos

Postby 02jmpr » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:30 pm

I think I've answered my own question, but if someone wants to verify or deny that would be great.

As long as you are not REPLACING factory incadescent turn or brake bulbs directly, you can add all the extra LED lights you want to perform those functions by just splicing into the circuit. The one caveat is that if you want to make your LED dual purpose (eg. running AND turn or running AND brake) then you need a conversion harness to knock the voltage down when used as running lights and then provide full power when applying brakes or turn signals.

Hopefully I get it now!?!?!? Again, I appreciate everyone's help and patience with a newbie. I hope to return the favor one day. ;)

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:53 am

02jmpr wrote:I think I've answered my own question, but if someone wants to verify or deny that would be great.

As long as you are not REPLACING factory incadescent turn or brake bulbs directly, you can add all the extra LED lights you want to perform those functions by just splicing into the circuit. The one caveat is that if you want to make your LED dual purpose (eg. running AND turn or running AND brake) then you need a conversion harness to knock the voltage down when used as running lights and then provide full power when applying brakes or turn signals.

Hopefully I get it now!?!?!? Again, I appreciate everyone's help and patience with a newbie. I hope to return the favor one day. ;)

If you are removing the incandescent bulbs and replacing with LED, you may need the extra load compensation for the turn signals. If you add LED to existing incandescent bulbs, you don't.
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:34 pm

If you are replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs, because the LEDs draw a lot less current. The flashers are mechanical, operating based on how much heat is generated within them by the current being drawn through them. With the LEDs pulling a lot less current, the flashers don't heat up as much, so they flash very quickly.

On most bikes this can be fixed by replacing the flasher with an electronic flasher that uses an electronic timing circuit to do the flashing instead of a bimetallic strip. This works on the GL1500 as well, however...because of the arcane intricacies of the GL1500's electronics, doing so means you lose your automatic turn signal cancelling functionality.

The way to solve this is to add power resistors in parallel with the LEDs. This draws lots of power, makes the flasher operate normally, and keeps the turn signal canceller happy.

02jmpr

Postby 02jmpr » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Bingo. Both of you told me just what I needed. Everything is understood now. Good work!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”