Trike mods

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Trike mods

Postby liquineer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:56 am

Just spent a few days away from home whilst my trike (converted by Panther Trikes in the UK) was undergoing some upgrades. Had new raked triple tree and the forks rebuilt, new air shocks on the rear, and some fixes for a few niggles that were there after the conversion was done. They discovered the front pads were almost worn to the metal- an object lesson to take the shiny covers off once in a while to check the condition.
These upgrades were available to me from the start, but I thought I could manage without them, well almost a year on I discovered I could not, so they have now been done- wow what a difference- easier turning, better ride etc, so looking forward to new season.
I did ride the trike both to and from the workshop 3.5 hours each way in the pouring rain, snow and strong winds, almost below freezing temperatures, so a good work out for my motorcycle gear. On the way up both hands frozen within 30 mins. on the way back, with heated inner gloves installed, they stayed unfrozen- need to find some supple water proof outer gloves as I think the heated gloves cut out about 20 mins from home due to both outer and inner gloves getting very wet.
Despite the poor riding conditions, it never skipped a beat all the way there and back- not bad for a 25 year old bike!

Are we having fun yet?

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Trike mods

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Rubber gloves used for dish washing are good to wear over heated gloves in the wet and are cheap!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:41 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:Rubber gloves used for dish washing are good to wear over heated gloves in the wet and are cheap!

This is true. They are about $5 or less, and the yellow ones and bright blue ones are real pretty. :lol: :lol: They are also a whole lot cheaper than the official black rubber overgloves that can be had from a dealership for $40, and they work better also. Vanity is expensive, :mrgreen:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:41 am

Yes I thought of rubber gloves and did buy some before I did the return run, only to find I could not get them over the heated gloves- I will look out for even larger ones next time. These were a nice blur colour, but you can get vivid yellow ones as well. As others are also recommending them from experience, I will persevere and look out for some that will fit- thanks for the information guys.

Are we having fun yet?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”