1500 engine swap


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jbeganny
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Litchfield, Maine
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Goldwing

1500 engine swap

Postby jbeganny » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:43 pm



I purchased a replacement motor for my 1989 wing and I am getting it ready to swap. When removing the old motor can someone explain to me the easiest way out? Does it just slide out sideways or does it drop down? Do those frame members disconnect anywhere? Not much info on this unless I am using the search incorrectly.



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1500 engine swap

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:12 pm

jbeganny wrote:I purchased a replacement motor for my 1989 wing and I am getting it ready to swap. When removing the old motor can someone explain to me the easiest way out? Does it just slide out sideways or does it drop down? Do those frame members disconnect anywhere? Not much info on this unless I am using the search incorrectly.


The subframe on the left side is first removed:

GL1500 Subframe
GL1500 Subframe


Then the engine comes out the left side:

GL1500 Engine Removal
GL1500 Engine Removal


I would HIGHLY suggest you get the Honda service manual for this, the whole procedure is covered in detail within it.

jbeganny
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Litchfield, Maine
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Goldwing

Re: 1500 engine swap

Postby jbeganny » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:53 am

Thanks, I have the manual. Here is another decision I need help with. When I acquired the 89 I am about to change motors on I first replaced the timing belts thinking perhaps that was the problem. So now that I have another motor I thought I should put the new belts on that before I install it. Replacement motor has 60K on it. As I proceeded to put the new belts from NAPA on I inspected the belts that I was replacing (Honda belts) and to me they (Honda belts) look much better. The teeth on the Honda belts are much more pronounced and to me the condition looks almost new. Is there some kind of test or something I should be looking for in particular?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1500 engine swap

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:31 pm

jbeganny wrote:Thanks, I have the manual. Here is another decision I need help with. When I acquired the 89 I am about to change motors on I first replaced the timing belts thinking perhaps that was the problem. So now that I have another motor I thought I should put the new belts on that before I install it. Replacement motor has 60K on it. As I proceeded to put the new belts from NAPA on I inspected the belts that I was replacing (Honda belts) and to me they (Honda belts) look much better. The teeth on the Honda belts are much more pronounced and to me the condition looks almost new. Is there some kind of test or something I should be looking for in particular?


I would go with the newer belts. There is no way to test the belts for their condition, belts that look perfectly fine could fail tomorrow. The part that wears is internal, and that wear does not show in any way on the outside of the belt (apart from failed/broken teeth, which will only happen if the tension is adjusted incorrectly).

jbeganny
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Litchfield, Maine
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Goldwing

Re: 1500 engine swap

Postby jbeganny » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 pm

I trust what you are telling me because logically it makes sense. It is just that the Honda belts look so much better. The writing on the belts looks new, like the belts have not been used. I hate to install the new belts which don't look as good. But tell me to do one more time and I will.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1500 engine swap

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:13 am

jbeganny wrote:I trust what you are telling me because logically it makes sense. It is just that the Honda belts look so much better. The writing on the belts looks new, like the belts have not been used. I hate to install the new belts which don't look as good. But tell me to do one more time and I will.


You can do whatever you like to your bike, it's your engine. :) But if it were mine, I would be putting the new belts on. That way I know for sure.

User avatar
bjatwood
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Blair, Nebraska
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Re: 1500 engine swap

Postby bjatwood » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:24 pm

WingAdmin wrote:But if it were mine, I would be putting the new belts on. That way I know for sure.

+1,000 ;)




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo Slurp [Bot] and 10 guests