CB antenna has worked loose and won't screw back.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

CB antenna has worked loose and won't screw back.

Postby liquineer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:39 am

Hi, have a 1988 GL1500 J and the CB antenna has worked loose at the point where the black body, complete with tip, screws on to the lower part of the antenna. I have tried screwing it back down, but nothing seems to happen and it stays loose- I have taken it off in case it falls off whilst riding. I don't know if the internal thread is stripped or whatever, and I am looking for suggestions for trying to get it screwed back on- is this a common problem? I contemplated trying some adhesive, but was not sure if it would block the signal to the upper part or not.
Any ideas please?

Are we having fun yet?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: CB antenna has worked loose and won't screw back.

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:58 am

liquineer wrote:Hi, have a 1988 GL1500 J and the CB antenna has worked loose at the point where the black body, complete with tip, screws on to the lower part of the antenna. I have tried screwing it back down, but nothing seems to happen and it stays loose- I have taken it off in case it falls off whilst riding. I don't know if the internal thread is stripped or whatever, and I am looking for suggestions for trying to get it screwed back on- is this a common problem? I contemplated trying some adhesive, but was not sure if it would block the signal to the upper part or not.
Any ideas please?

I think you're talking about the load coil, that black lump halfway up the antenna. I'll have to have a closer look at mine when I get a chance, but I believe it clamps in place with a set screw or two - at least that's how it was fastened on my GL1100.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 am

Yes that is it, the load coil. There is a thread internally to the base of the load coil, and also on top of the lower section of the antenna, for it to screw on to apparently. There is a pin of some sort, but it does not seem like an allen keyed clamp at all- it looks to have a round centre to the pin.
Visually it looks like it should just screw on to the lower half of the antenna.
I would appreciate you checking on yours when you can.
Are we having fun yet?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:39 pm

It's definitely an allen-head set screw. It might be a set screw that fastens things in place after the load coil has screwed in place, but there is no question a set screw there.

Load coil set screw
Load coil set screw

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks Wingadmin, I have a similarily placed something, which does not look like it has a hexagon or whatever, shaped insert, that's what I was puzzled about. If it is an allen key shape, it must be incredibly small as it looks to me like a circular opening. I tried to see if it was a small cover over the key, and tried to prise it out with a dentist pick, but just scratched it instead. The picture shows as best as I can, the end of the coil to compare to your picture.

Are we having fun yet?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:43 am

liquineer wrote:Thanks Wingadmin, I have a similarily placed something, which does not look like it has a hexagon or whatever, shaped insert, that's what I was puzzled about. If it is an allen key shape, it must be incredibly small as it looks to me like a circular opening. I tried to see if it was a small cover over the key, and tried to prise it out with a dentist pick, but just scratched it instead. The picture shows as best as I can, the end of the coil to compare to your picture.

It almost looks like there is an insert of some kind in there, like a circlip or snap ring. Maybe very gently try drilling it out?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 am

I will give that a try- it certainly has not got an allen key fitting- I have tried with small allen keys and it does not turn at all. If all else fails, might need a new/second hand antenna.
Are we having fun yet?

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:26 am

It may be an anti tamper device that has been fitted? As stated there should be a small grub screw in there, but someone (even Honda) may have put something in after the grub screw to stop the screw coming out, or prevent someone from undoing the screw. as that hole is threaded, I would suggest (if you can) that you find a left handed drill bit and try drilling it out, that way if whatever is in the hole starts to turn it will come out rather than be driven in even further. You can get left handed drills from most good hardware stores, there is just not much choice on make/size, but it would better than damaging the loading coil.

Gary

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:28 am

I forgot to mention but do NOT try glueing that bit on to the antenna, it needs a good electrical contact as it is part of a tuned circuit, if it doesn't make good contact the antenna SWR will be out and you risk damaging the CB transmitter. That part has to be screwed to the lower antenna to get good electrical contact.

Gary

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm

OK, it was a cover over an allen keyed scew- a little carefull drilling got rid of it and I was able to get the screw out-sadly that did not help as the top will not screw back to the bottom still.So I think that screw is to keep the load coil together.
Thanks for the advice about not glueing it back- I thought that would be the case- but worth asking.
I am at a loss now for next steps.
The whole top part of the antenna is loose and wobbly at the point where it should screw on to the lower part, which makes me wonder if there was something in the threaded part of the load cell that has disintegated or if the thread on the lower part has part worn away somewhat - it was well held on there until comparitivley recently when I noticed it leaned a little, and discoverd that it was loose.
Are we having fun yet?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:37 pm

There's always the option of a replacement. Add-On made this item:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_cb_antenna/27837

However if that is the way you are going to go, I would do it fast, as Add-On went out of business at the end of December, so what you see in stock at the various dealers (like Cyclemax, above) is all that is left.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Thanks
will look in to that.
Are we having fun yet?

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:27 pm

I think the bottom of the load coil is pinned to the shaft but the top has the set screw for the SWR adjustment. Listening to the C B with a bad antenna will not hurt the radio. Just don't key any microphone as that is what will burn out the finals in the transmitter. The antenna should be tuned to the radio after you fix the upper attachment issue. Tuning consists of adjusting the length of the antenna to get as close as possible to a 1:1 reading on the center channels. The Standing Wave Ratio should be set with an SWR meter.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:55 pm

Fiberthree wrote:I think the bottom of the load coil is pinned to the shaft but the top has the set screw for the SWR adjustment. Listening to the C B with a bad antenna will not hurt the radio. Just don't key any microphone as that is what will burn out the finals in the transmitter. The antenna should be tuned to the radio after you fix the upper attachment issue. Tuning consists of adjusting the length of the antenna to get as close as possible to a 1:1 reading on the center channels. The Standing Wave Ratio should be set with an SWR meter.

There is a single set screw on the bottom to keep the load coil from unscrewing from the lower shaft. There are two set screws at a 90 degree angle on the top of the load coil that are used to hold the upper shaft in place, and are used to adjust the length of the antenna to get the correct SWR as you mentioned.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:25 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
There is a single set screw on the bottom to keep the load coil from unscrewing from the lower shaft. There are two set screws at a 90 degree angle on the top of the load coil that are used to hold the upper shaft in place, and are used to adjust the length of the antenna to get the correct SWR as you mentioned.

Right you are!

If possible, try to remove the lower set screw and blow air through the hole to see if there is any debris that comes out. There might be a Broken tip on the lower protion of the antenna. If so, try to get the piece out. The broken bit might be preventing the shaft from being inserted high enough for the set screw to grip. I also noticed that there are flats on the bottom of the load coil indicating the shaft might be threaded. The broken piece would not be easy to remove without damaging the coil since the shaft is stainless steel and a bear to drill out. If you can get it out, you may be able file the top of the shaft flat. You will still need to get the SWR checked as the entire antenna wil be electrically shorter.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:46 am

Hi,
Have looked again at the antenna- removed the set screw and there is definitly something behind the screw, which I assume is a broken tip. However, if it is the broken tip and it is fully screwed in to the load cell, then it is not going to just drop out.
I think it means I will have to go to plan B and replace the whole antenna. Damn!
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:46 am

Managed to find a UK supplier that will just supply the antenna, and not all the wiring and mounting posts etc, so hopefully I can swap the old for the new. I assume if I adjust the lengths of the new antenna to match the old, that it should work succesfully .
Are we having fun yet?

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:07 pm

liquineer wrote:Managed to find a UK supplier that will just supply the antenna, and not all the wiring and mounting posts etc, so hopefully I can swap the old for the new. I assume if I adjust the lengths of the new antenna to match the old, that it should work succesfully .

That is all you can reasonably do.. for an antenna to work well it needs a good ground plane, unfortunately all the body work on a goldwing is made of plastic (Not metal) so it presents a very poor ground plane, so the antenna will never tune in that well. If you want maximum range then you need to find someone with a SWR meter that can set it up for you, but if you are just wanting a couple of miles range (Usually plenty for most of us) then just match the lengths of the new antenna to your old antenna (Assuming that was the correct length to begin with!) and be done with it..

Gary

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:49 pm

Be careful how much you trim from your antenna, as even as few millimetres can make a difference for SWR.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”