Intercom Noise

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dan2759
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SER Canadian Edition

Intercom Noise

Postby dan2759 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:35 pm

GL1500 SE 1994. I have a Noise in the intercom.
Radio Volume OFF. Intercom Turned Off. I get clicking Noise when Brakes applied and when using Indicators.
Things get even worse when Intercom Turned ON. Clicks much louder and I also get Alternator/Engine Whine.
Alternator has been replaced, Suppressors checked and I even swapped the Radio Unit. Non of these things have changed the problem.
Any Ideas on where to look for source of interference?

Dan
Melbourne Australia

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Intercom Noise

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Try a different headset first to make sure that isn't your problem. (bad pin contacts) Then check to make sure the ground connection for the headset cable is good. (plug located in the fairing) Lastly check that you have a solid ground going to the radio itself. What was the problem with the original alternator and what did you change it to? Did you keep the stock condensor, replace it with an after market unit, or, as the CompuFire required, toss the old one?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

dan2759
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SER Canadian Edition

Postby dan2759 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:11 pm

Alternator Upgraded to 90amp. (Not Compufire.) Suppressor replaced. Am starting to think it's an Earthing problem.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Now make sure the supressor has good contact to the chassis and that the other end also has good contact. You might try the old supressor to make sure you have one with a large enough capacity to filter out any noise. Having the two connected at the same time will increase the capacitance and not hurt anything. If those were the only components you changed it has to be where your interference is coming from.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”