Heated Riding Gear

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cal3san
Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 with MT Trike Kit (sold 9/13)
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
w/1999 Lehman Trike Kit (sold 12/12)
1996 GL-1500A with 2009 Champion Trike Kit (sold 7/15)
2003 GL-1800 with 2113 Champion Trike Kit
2007 Aspen Sentry Camper (sold 5/12)
2012 Mini-Mate Kompac Kamper
2014 TO Slipstream Camper

Heated Riding Gear

Postby cal3san » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Thinking about adding heated riding gear to my inventory of motorcycle "stuff".

My first inclination is to get FirstGear items but am trying to ascertain if I need to upgrade the OEM alternator (I do not have any electrical background). My 1500A trike has the standard setup plus forward ring of fire lights and add-on trim lights, a GPS I plug into a outlet, GoPro camera (outlet plug). Do not have any idea of wattages/amps oflights as they were on trike when I bought it.

The FirstGear items I'm looking to get include Glove Liners (22w), Jacket Liner (65w/90w), Pants Liner (35w), socks (18w). Total wattage: 165w

What's the difference between 65 and 90 jacket liner as to final decision? I normally ride solo.

Will probably run a dual remote controller.

YNCM-USN Retired (1964-1990)
RVN Veteran (MCB-53 1968)
PGR

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Heated Riding Gear

Postby harvey01 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:40 pm

I have used Gerbings heated stuff for a number of years and been very satisfied. In fact I carry the jacket liner and gloves on the bike all the time.

I have no experience with the First Gear Heated Clothing. However based on the many years I have used a First Gear Jacket and overpants, I would expect the heated gear to be some of the best. I have been very pleased with the performance of their jackets and pants.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:20 am

harvey01 wrote:I have used Gerbings heated stuff for a number of years and been very satisfied. In fact I carry the jacket liner and gloves on the bike all the time.

I have no experience with the First Gear Heated Clothing. However based on the many years I have used a First Gear Jacket and overpants, I would expect the heated gear to be some of the best. I have been very pleased with the performance of their jackets and pants.

Ditto, I carry my Gerbing's heated jacket liner and gloves pretty much any time it MIGHT be cool. I bring along the heated insoles only when I KNOW I'm going to be riding through COLD weather.

I found that with the heated insoles, jacket and gloves, I am never cold even down near freezing. Pants heaters not needed - I'm plenty warm. More important is something to keep my chin warm, as cold air gets up into the bottom of the helmet. I use a Schampa Neck Gaiter, and have done so for years. It makes a huge difference in "felt" warmth.

hondageorge
Motorcycle: 1997 GL-1500SE
2005 Silverwing
1992 Honda 750
2004 Honda VTX 1300 S (for sale)
1970 CL-350 (original first bike)

1970 CB-350

Postby hondageorge » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:37 am

Been using "Warm n Safe" gear for a few yrs now. First bought the 90w jacket & gloves. My wife went for the womans 90W heated liner and heated glove liners. She was quite pleased that she could heat her favorite gloves. Riding in 30d.F weather together, hers work so well, I think I'd try glove liners inside my favorite gloves on my next purchase.
A couple reasons I went with Warm n Safe. A private company with quality product. His family are cold weather bikers and actually test the gear he sells in the European Alps. Warm n' Safe has also answered their phone for me on a Sunday and I got the owner!!!! (who helped me with a couple questions, a wealth of knowledge) Try that with the others.
Another reason is that he is the first (and still the only- until others copy) one to offer a completely WIRELESS heat controller in addition to permanent bike wired controllers. Stick the controller on a quality piece of Velcro on your dash, and your jacket & glove independent controls can be placed anywhere in front of you....and on your other bike or snowmobile (or in your pocket) when you stop for lunch if required.
It's high tech, using pulse technology I presume, instead of resistance controllers, so little current draw...well, you can read and educate yourself on his informative website. On the road, It's also constructed to be fail-safe, (made in USA) so if you don't have your controller with you or it's misplaced, plugging in directly without it provides automatic 1/3 the heat without controls so you'll never be caught riding cold.
I use my gear and wireless controller on my 'Wing and 2 other bikes and it works flawlessly. Also love using the USB phone charger assy. item that plugs and stays in my heated jacket with a simple available "y" splitter cord, so it's ALWAYS on my person and charged and ready.

If your wondering if he is big enough to stay in business, note that he is the company that makes/made the FirstGear line. His history also made heated gear for Harley and others...it's all on his company website to see all his neat offerings and company history.
And the best reason everyone could like, he gives AMA (American Motorcycle Assn.) members a sweet discount on internet orders.
I also have a Shampa neck gaiter, I always keep it with my heated gear, but I'm still undecided on it's worth. The heated collar on my Warm n' Safe jacket zips to the top of the neck and I personally like the heated collar right next to my neck. Core warmth is the name of the game, and after a couple years riding with heated gear in 30's and low 40d.F weather, I agree with WingAdmin and others that heated pants are the least necessary item.
I wear fleece lined jeans (L.L.B**n) that keep me toasty, and also have winter riding pants for those longer winter touring rides, and have yet to complain about being cold. I even bought W&S heated socks, but haven't been compelled to use them yet.
Fun Note:
When I first bought and tried the W n 'S heated jacket and heated gloves, I thought they didn't work very well, as I couldn't feel the HOT heat. But, I also noticed though, that I never got cold, even at Interstate hi-way riding speeds. Playing with the controls, I turned off my gloves on my 2 item wireless controller one winter evening cruising on I-75, and my hands quickly got cold. Oh yea, they are working all right! It's just a nice subtle heat, very UNLIKE a home heating pad.
I ride 12 months a yr in N.Georgia, and it occasionally gets cold in winter (for the south)without much snow or ice hazards (...until this year). I don't have to let cold days stop me from enjoying the ride. Enjoy & smile when you pass the Bank temperature sign.
G.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”