GL1500 Rear Speaker Kit installation of fader switch

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ThunderGL
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Gold Wing

GL1500 Rear Speaker Kit installation of fader switch

Postby ThunderGL » Sat May 08, 2010 10:07 pm

I have a 1988 GL1500 which I purchased a rear speaker kit with fader control. I found all the instuctions of taking all the cowling off including the Reverse lever. With much frusration I found 3 plugs under my radio which none of them would fit any of the 4 prong connectors, I had (2) long white plugs an antenna and one 6 prong plug under my radio. The fader harness I had had 3 4 prong connectors. Also I couldnt find the so called connector taped to my main harness, but I did find a booth in the back under where the seat was that had one of three connectors in it that would be the rear speaker plug. Any ideas of what i have? I was assuming that I was to unplug the small plug and match that up with one of the fader plugs and use the other plug from the fader to the radio and the missing plug to the fader plug . can any one spread some light on what i have here?
James

Mack
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: GL1500 Rear Speaker Kit installation of fader switch

Postby Mack » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:38 am

ThunderGL, did you ever figure out how to install the fader control? I have a 95 GL1500 and having the same problem.

englishted
Motorcycle: GL1800, GL1500

Postby englishted » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:28 am

The connector should be near where the CB radio goes.

reasonator
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby reasonator » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:22 pm

When I installed my fader on an '88, the plug was wrapped up in factory electrical tape. You should find the plug you need approximately 4-6 inches back from the radio/anntena wireing harness coming off the back of the radio. There should be a "Y" juncture in the harness that is visibly "bulky" compared to the thickness of the wiring. Carefully pull back tape from the open end of this juncture and you should find the conector your looking for down in that juncture.

If I remember right, it's been a while since I did mine, it was nearly impossible to see at first! Good luck!
"Those that dare to be can never be weak." - Unknown

tjernagel
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Postby tjernagel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:13 pm

I found the connector under the left hand panel next to the cb radio. The problem I'm having is the wire harness is too short to reach to the rear speakers and the fader is way too sensitive. It's either all on front, or all on rear. I'm sure it's a bad fader. Has anyone had an issue with the harness being too short? I purchased it from cyclegiant and it's supposed to be the correct one.

I have a 1995 GL1500A.

minnwing
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby minnwing » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:56 pm

I just my a speaker kit in last Friday. I have a '99 1500 so the wiring may be a little different than your bike. The hook-up for the fader was near the left front pocket. I expected it to be down near the radio, but was not. The connector for the rear speakers was in a rubber pouch, with a 2 pin and 6 pin connector in that pouch also. I put the fader in that left front pocket rather than on the front of the bike. I thought I would not fiddle with it a lot, so I would hide it. The fader is sensitive, but there is a spot where both the front and rear speakers are heard quite well.

tjernagel
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Postby tjernagel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:47 pm

I found the connector by the left hand fairing pocket and temporarily hooked up a pair of speakers and it works just fine except for the fader being so sensitive. My problem is the pigtail that goes from the "connector patch" to the rear speakers is about 3 feet short. It's for the 1500. I wrote cyclegiant and will see what they say tomorrow when they reply.

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:14 am

That's interesting about the rear speaker connectors- I am having a similar problem, the fader control was not connected to anything and the rear speakers seem to be directly connected to the front ones by a long twin wire for each, and don't work either- if the two connectors at the rear are for the rear speakers, is there a wiring kit for these? (remember I'm in the UK )?
Are we having fun yet?

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 pm

I took pics of where the connections actually are (oh how not obvious, lol). Will post them here.

Mag

Postby Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:09 pm

So, here are images of the location of the fader connectors. Let me tell you, the ONLY place I was able to locate where the connects were at were on this site, and this conversation string helped a lot. Due to it not having any pics, I decided to add them. Now, my bike is an '88 but people on this message string were commenting about bikes up in the mid 90's so I think we can assume "almost all 1500s" have them in the same place.

So, I installed the fader knob on the center console piece that is near the ignition. This is where Big Bike Parts (people that I bought the kit from) suggested the fader to go. Others suggested the left pocket, which makes sense, but then would have to hide the long wire. So....let's move on.

Looking at the bike, your connects are actually located near the left pocket, just to the right of the CB unit. If you pull off the side plastic of the bike, you will see a wiring harness traveling across the left side of the bike. Look for a black male plug. It does not have a cap on it, and is very tight against the wiring harness. Right next to that you should see a white male and female plug plugged in to each other. Unplug them (this was the hard part finding these damn things). Your white plugs on your fader wires (I also showed them in the pic) will plug in to these.

And for us with poor eyesite, here is a close up of the plugs on the bike AND on the fader

And here is the pic with the fader plugs plugged in (and the CB so you see better the location of them)

I will be (hopefully) starting the bike tomorrow, should see if the Fader works.....and the CB, and the LED lights, and and and....oh, the rear speakers, and, lol......

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:31 am

Wow, thanks for posting those pictures- I would not have thought they would be that far away from the radio, and would never have found them without your perseverance. Mine is an '88 as well, so will have to look further in to the body of the bike. I hope they are there!
Are we having fun yet?

Mag

Postby Mag » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 am

It took me 2 hours searching the web, and NO ONE, I mean definitely NO ONE had the pics. Granted, the line we had here was the best direction I could find, and I would have never looked over on the left side near the CB. The directions I had did not mention anything of that I do not believe (I have them outside in the garage, would have to look again). This was the last thing I needed to put on before I place the seat, stereo, etc., etc. on the bike and see if all the power works.

Good luck!

Cantankerous
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby Cantankerous » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 am

Thank you for the pictures. A previous owner had installed rear speakers in my bike, but no fader. The volume is extremely low, so I assume they are incorrectly hooked up. I just hope the bike harness wasn't butchered like they did in other places. :(

Mag

Postby Mag » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:35 am

Yes, welcome to buying a used bike, I kept finding more and more "little" things on the bike that I could not understand. At least it is moving, and all I am doing is buttoning up the bike so I can ride this season, then back in the garage for next winter's plan (no, no plan yet, we will see).

I have my rear speakers in, but have not gone out to listen to see if volume is low just cuz the wires busted on the fader itself. I guess I twisted the wires and they popped off, I can not find a way to connect it back up again without screwing up the fader....guess I could try it just to see what would happen. They are not the most sturdy connections.

Cantankerous

Postby Cantankerous » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am

I believe I have a spare fader I might be selling.

Mag

Postby Mag » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Ahhh, let me know. I was going to order this weekend. Gotta get to $200 to get free shipping....so if I buy yours, I will have to justify another part (Oh, no problem there, lol).

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Well, thanks to MAG, I have managed to dig out the Black plug hidden behind many wires and pipes, and connect all three of the plugs/sockets from my front fader control device- just getting everything undone and removed is a bit like a mini-marathon, no wonder the PO did not get around to conencting the fader control up.

MAG- I have just one question which would help me enormously. How many plugs were there on the rear part of the wiring? I'm guessing just one. As I am finding it difficult to get hold of just the rear wiring to the speakers in the UK (and postage is so high from the USA) I have decided to see if I can make up a lead and connect it to the socket already there- and if possible, could you tell me which speaker cables pair up with which wires in the socket that is already in the wiring loom?
many thanks in advance
Martin
Are we having fun yet?

Mag

Postby Mag » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:23 am

I do know that it was only 1 plug that all the wires went in to (that is the easy question, ;) )

The other question, what wires etc., etc. I would have to look at that cuz it was all covereed by black tubing (they did a real good job insulating it as much as possible).

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi Mag,
thanks for confirming the single plug/socket question- as regards the other one, what wires, I have been sent a guide to the installation of a kit, from a UK Goldwinger, and it does give the wire colours used that attach to each speaker, so I just have to figure which of the wires in the plug/socket are for which speaker i.e. which pairs wire back to the individual speaker- may have to be trial and error using a meter to check what goes to where. The good thing is that the fader is installed and it should hopefully help me track the wiring. So unless it is no great trouble to check, I can probably manage to do that part without putting you to any inconvenience.
Are we having fun yet?

Mag

Postby Mag » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:56 pm

My bike is all together again, so for me to check, would have to pull the seat off again.....or there should be a schematic somewhere on this, I should check my manual.

Yes, together....got to ride last week, OH IT WAS GREAT!!!! And it rained, like it normally does in the NW states this time of year, but still good.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:06 pm

OK MAG, don't start stripping it again, I can manage.
Martin
Are we having fun yet?

Cantankerous

Postby Cantankerous » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Mag, Here is the image.
Attachments

Mag

Postby Mag » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:17 am

I did not know it was the cover, and the casing, yes, I will take it (great, now I need something else to order through Cyclemax to get the free shipping)

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:53 pm

I have just completed the connecting of the rear speakers in to the wiring hraness- It was a bit of a fiddle, as I only had one half of the connector block, and sadly the one I bought as a whole plug and socket that I was hoping would fit without to much work, would have meant cuting off the old socket. So I managed to get the connectors out of the honda connecting block, and as I had just removed two obsolete Autocom communicators, I also had some six pin connectors, so I managed to push out the mating halves of the connectors, remove them from the wires of the communicators, and rewire them to the newly fitted speaker cables that I had made today. As I was able to confirm that the colour coding was the same on the wiring loom of the Wing, was the same as the colour code on shown a document copy of a real rear speaker kit fitting instructions, I joined, with some trepidation, the two sets of wiring.
They are still to be insulated from each other, so I made sure that they were not in danger of shorting out, for a test, and switched the power on to the bike. I had a cassette tape handy, so put that into the radio, switched on and Voila, sound from front and rear speakers, and the fader switch progressively altered the front to back balance as I turned it one way then the other, so tommorow (it was dark by this time) I will heat shrink both parts of the connecting pins, and then make sure they are neatly tucked away under the seat.
Thank you to everyone who offered advice, and to MAG for the timely photographs, which allowed me to locate the front harness plugs.
I now have lights on the radio, and hopefully I have a cable now that will allow me to patch in the auxiliary set up on the radio to finsih the job.

I am also taking advantage of the radio shelter and seat being off, to do a few other jobs, like change the main air filter and the fuel filter, etc.
Are we having fun yet?

Mag

Postby Mag » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:38 pm

I feel so proud of you :lol: now get to work to finish everything else....get get get!!!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”