Rear Tire Removal...Help

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bitterclinger00
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Rear Tire Removal...Help

Postby bitterclinger00 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:19 pm

I sold my sporty and finally getting to spend some money on my 95 aspencade. Went to horrible freight and got the 1500 lb jack[black] and a few odds and ends. Came home and experimented with the jack at different heights and chocking up the front and rear tires along with straps for the side. I had my ME880 metzlers arrive and decided to change out the bearings along with the tires. Tried splitting the 3/4 bolt to drive the first bearing out...no go for me. Back to horrible freight and got the five piece slide hammer puller. Still wasn't a cakewalk but finally got one out. Knocking the other one out from the backside was easy. All this after a local dealer mounted the front for me. I got the front on and I'm going to wait until I finish up with the rear to install the dyna beads. I want to make sure they are both dry before putting the beads in.
Ok, so I'm on the rear tire and follow the DIY procedure putting the bike on the center stand. Didn't think I would ever loosen the axle bolt. I rested the extension on a jack stand and stood on the breaker bar. Got every thing loose, tire on floor but no way in hell could I get the tire out from under the bike. Put the tire back up with the axle installed, nutted and every needed to to take it off the center stand.Got out the jack and proceeded to jack it up where I normally place the arms and noticed the front tire wasn't coming up but figured I could get higher than being on the center stand. Dropped the tire again and still had problems getting it out. Here's the dumb part...jacked it higher and walked around the bike and could see daylight between the back arm of the jack and the bike.. :o I know...not too bright... I guess the weight of the left bag and a few pieces of plastic make a considerable difference in the jacking points. Anyway I have the tire out...a can and a half of brake cleaner later and the driven flange and final drive are clean. Waiting on my molly paste from ebay..during the mean time going to run the tire over to the stealer to get it changed. I lowered the bike down to the lowest locking bar on the jack...strapped and a couple jack stands for good measure. My ? is this..why can't I get the tire under the bike...even at a setting higher than the center stand would be?? :oops:
Don't want to jack it up any higher...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear Tire Removal...Help

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:38 pm

bitterclinger00 wrote:
I sold my sporty and finally getting to spend some money on my 95 aspencade. Went to horrible freight and got the 1500 lb jack[black] and a few odds and ends. Came home and experimented with the jack at different heights and chocking up the front and rear tires along with straps for the side. I had my ME880 metzlers arrive and decided to change out the bearings along with the tires. Tried splitting the 3/4 bolt to drive the first bearing out...no go for me. Back to horrible freight and got the five piece slide hammer puller. Still wasn't a cakewalk but finally got one out. Knocking the other one out from the backside was easy. All this after a local dealer mounted the front for me. I got the front on and I'm going to wait until I finish up with the rear to install the dyna beads. I want to make sure they are both dry before putting the beads in.
Ok, so I'm on the rear tire and follow the DIY procedure putting the bike on the center stand. Didn't think I would ever loosen the axle bolt. I rested the extension on a jack stand and stood on the breaker bar. Got every thing loose, tire on floor but no way in hell could I get the tire out from under the bike. Put the tire back up with the axle installed, nutted and every needed to to take it off the center stand.Got out the jack and proceeded to jack it up where I normally place the arms and noticed the front tire wasn't coming up but figured I could get higher than being on the center stand. Dropped the tire again and still had problems getting it out. Here's the dumb part...jacked it higher and walked around the bike and could see daylight between the back arm of the jack and the bike.. :o I know...not too bright... I guess the weight of the left bag and a few pieces of plastic make a considerable difference in the jacking points. Anyway I have the tire out...a can and a half of brake cleaner later and the driven flange and final drive are clean. Waiting on my molly paste from ebay..during the mean time going to run the tire over to the stealer to get it changed. I lowered the bike down to the lowest locking bar on the jack...strapped and a couple jack stands for good measure. My ? is this..why can't I get the tire under the bike...even at a setting higher than the center stand would be?? :oops:
Don't want to jack it up any higher...

You can...it's just a giant pain. The higher you jack the bike, the easier it is. Try putting a piece of cardboard on the floor under it, then you can drop the wheel onto the cardboard, and slide it out sideways.

Oh...make sure you let the air out of the tire before trying to take it out - mine will NOT come out with air in the tire, the tire is simply too wide to fit between the swingarm and rear drive.

bitterclinger00

Postby bitterclinger00 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:45 am

Was thinking :idea: Why not grease the drive shaft?? Just undo the four bolts holding it in and slide it out..That should give me room to slide the tire in place?? :D

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:45 am

well here are some links:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500rearwheel.htm

or

lifting the bags way

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... moval.html scroll down a bit there is a video..

or

Some loosen everything and then put some carpet down lay the bike on the right side and slide the tire out.

or http://www.jmartino.me/goldwing/reartire/tire3.htm more pics
Last edited by RBGERSON on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:48 am

I would pull the rear drive anyway. The splines on both ends of the shaft need Moly.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 am

dingdong wrote:I would pull the rear drive anyway. The splines on both ends of the shaft need Moly.

I agree - anytime I pull the rear wheel, I grease the splines on the shaft as well. Remove the bolts holding the rear drive to the swingarm, pull the drive backward, disengage the wheel from the drive. The drive will have enough lateral movement to allow the tire to easily slide out - but I'd still recommend letting the air out of the tire first.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 am

bo_mull
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby bo_mull » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 am

I remove my rear wheel without jacking up the bike (centerstand only). I remove both saddlebags, trailer hitch and the rear fender and roll the tire out the back.

bitterclinger00

Postby bitterclinger00 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 am

Update...thanks for all of the replys...got the rear tire mounted yesterday and came home to tackle the final drive and drive shaft. Got it out and sure enough, along with the driven flange and final drive it all needs greasing. Anxiously waiting for my moly to arrive. Don't know if the grease gets used up fast or it hadn't been done in awhile. And yes I keep my laptop in the garage with DIY arcticles from GoldwingDocs....otherwise I'd be clueless. :o
Thanks again...all

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 am

bitterclinger00 wrote:Update...thanks for all of the replys...got the rear tire mounted yesterday and came home to tackle the final drive and drive shaft. Got it out and sure enough, along with the driven flange and final drive it all needs greasing. Anxiously waiting for my moly to arrive. Don't know if the grease gets used up fast or it hadn't been done in awhile. And yes I keep my laptop in the garage with DIY arcticles from GoldwingDocs....otherwise I'd be clueless. :o
Thanks again...all

The Moly grease that gets used on the splines is a bit of a different beast. Meshing gears continually move grease around, pushing it between the teeth and lubricating them as the grease gets squished between them.

On splines where the Moly is used, the grease is actually just a carrier. The splines don't continually mesh with one another, and for the most part they barely move in relation to one another. So there is no movement to continually move lubricating grease between them. This is why using regular grease on these splines will destroy them: the grease gets squished out (and slung out from centrifugal force), there is nothing left to lubricate the splines, and they start to wear against one another.

Moly "grease" is spread on the splines. After assembly, it gets squished/slung out just like regular grease. Unlike regular grease however, the molybdenum disulfide that it contains forms a very strong bond with the metal, and remains after the grease carrier has been lost. This layer of "moly" is what actually does the lubrication, not the grease.

This is why it is important to fully clean the splines with a good solvent when replacing the grease. If contaminated grease remains on the splines, the fresh moly applied will not be able to bond with the metal, and lubrication can be affected.

Oh...and wear gloves when applying Moly grease, and make sure you wash any skin that comes into contact with it. It can be toxic, and is a known carcinogen when its dust is inhaled or ingested.

bitterclinger00

Postby bitterclinger00 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Ok...I'm really pi..ed off now..I ordered the moly on the 22nd got an email saying just being shipped today :oops: :oops: :oops:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:58 pm

bitterclinger00 wrote:Ok...I'm really pi..ed off now..I ordered the moly on the 22nd got an email saying just being shipped today :oops: :oops: :oops:

Next time, get it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-087 ... ingdocs-20

If you have Amazon Prime, two-day shipping is free on it!

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE
Pearl Bermuda Green

Postby bellboy40 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 pm

bo_mull wrote:I remove my rear wheel without jacking up the bike (centerstand only). I remove both saddlebags, trailer hitch and the rear fender and roll the tire out the back.

Same here. Except I don't have a trailer hitch to contend with. Then I also have better access to clean up the pieces you don't get to see often.

bitterclinger00

Postby bitterclinger00 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Well heres an update...Late getting everything on..it was an adventure...all thats left is the dyna beads for the front tire, and the side panels...I bought mama a new used gas stove and on the way home the radiator fractured on the car..of course it comes first....about $135 at advanced auto parts and a day to put it in and I'm near ready to ride..damn rain probability is up for next two days. Oh well..there is always something to tweak ;) Thanks again for all the help.... :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”